Need help getting exhorbitant airline ticket price adjusted

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 18, 2018
I live with my wife and kids just outside Philadelphia. On the evening of March 27, my Father in law had a heart attack. Anticipating that her Father was soon going to pass, my wife, in the very early hours of March 28, booked a 5:00 a.m. flight to comfort her Mother and to see her Father in Florida. Sadly, her father passed on March 28, before her flight left. As if this was not enough, American Airlines charged, including seat selection, approximately $950 for a one way flight to Florida.

We have been flying to Florida about twice a year for roughly 16 years. We have typically booked at least 2 months in advance and have usually paid in the vicinity of $300-$350 for each rountrip ticket we book.

I understand that many airlines these days do not offer "bereavement" airfares, however $950 is not a reasonable price for a flight from Philadelphia to to Florida. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to request a $600 refund back to my credit card. This would in effect adjust the price to be $350, which is more reasonable than $950, which is exhorbitant.

I thank you for any assistance you can provide. I can also provide a copy of the death certificate if necessary.

The value of my claim (in US $)? = 600
Date of transaction/travel date: March 28, 2018

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I live with my wife and kids just outside Philadelphia. On the evening of March 27, my Father in law had a heart attack. Anticipating that her Father was soon going to pass, my wife, in the very early hours of March 28, booked a 5:00 a.m. flight to comfort her Mother and to see her Father in Florida. Sadly, her father passed on March 28, before her flight left. As if this was not enough, American Airlines charged, including seat selection, approximately $950 for a one way flight to Florida.

We have been flying to Florida about twice a year for roughly 16 years. We have typically booked at least 2 months in advance and have usually paid in the vicinity of $300-$350 for each rountrip ticket we book.

I understand that many airlines these days do not offer "bereavement" airfares, however $950 is not a reasonable price for a flight from Philadelphia to to Florida. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to request a $600 refund back to my credit card. This would in effect adjust the price to be $350, which is more reasonable than $950, which is exhorbitant.

I thank you for any assistance you can provide. I can also provide a copy of the death certificate if necessary.

The value of my claim (in US $)? = 600
Date of transaction/travel date: March 28, 2018
I'm sorry about the passing of your father in law. Unfortunately you experienced a last minute fare and they can be that expensive. She was traveling during school holiday time and Easter which doesn't help with keeping the pricing down either. And one way flights are often more expensive than round trip. You agreed to pay that price when you booked it - if it was not agreeable - the airline is going to ask why you bought it. Did you check other airlines before booking with AA? You don't say where in Florida you were flying for us to do a mock booking and seeing what price came up.

I am not sure you will have success but you have nothing to lose by clicking on our Company Contacts tab on top of the page, read the information on how to write to the airline and then taking that advice and write, starting at Customer Service and working your way up one by one to the executives as we advise you to.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

Sep 19, 2015
I am very sorry to hear of the death of your father in law.

Unfortunately Neil is correct. The time to ask is before leaving and agreeing to pay and one should comparison shop and look at round trip tickets.

Having been through the same I understand that one is not thinking clearly but this is where family can help in searching for flights.

I do not think that it is a good strategy to tell the airline what you think the price should be — there is no comparison between booking months in advance and within a few hours of departure.

You may have better luck asking for a goodwill certificate if you use the airline often.

I also did not receive any consideration with a similar situation. I did buy a round trip ticket and all the airline would do is waive the change fee the trip was extended to wait for funeral.

This is the sad reality of the situation.