need earlier flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 2, 2018
I have a flight with United on April 28 from MCO to EWR. I only have 1 hour and 10 min for a connecting flight to Spain. I have called United for an earlier flight along with the travel company and spoke with supervisors, but to no avail. It is my understanding you should be 3 hrs early for international flight. Any advice?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How did you book the ticket? The recommended time is three hours for arrival at your first airport, so that means Orlando. For the connecting flight, you need to be at the gate by the time printed on your boarding pass. As long as your flight isn't delayed getting out of Orlando, you should be okay with the connection but don't dawdle when you get to EWR - go immediately to the next gate.

If all the flights are on one PNR you can ask in Orlando for them to print your boarding pass for your next flight.

Apr 10, 2017
When did you book the flight? Is your connecting flight to Spain on the same PNR as the MCO-EWR flight?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@tennislady I fly through EWR a lot. I did some digging and I'm guessing you're going to Madrid (1 hr 19 min between flights). Here's the good news. Your flight from MCO is a 737 which means your flight arrives in Term C. From any term C gate you should be able to make it to any other term C gate in 30 mins which gets you there 50 mins ish before the flight.

Worst case is that if your flight is delayed, there's a connection through FRA that can still get you to MAD the next day.

Enjoy Spain!

Sep 19, 2015
I still think it is tight. If you are in the front of the plane it may still taken10 mins to get off. Then it can be 10 to 20 minutes depending on where the gates are. Boarding ends on international flights around 20 minutes prior to departure.

So the 70 minute connection is not 70 minutes it is around 50 before the door closes on the international flight.

If there are any delays incoming to EWR those 50 minutes will be disappearing quickly.

Both the Madrid and Barcelona flights are a little later, ie after 630. If the incoming flight causes you to miss the flight to Spain it is questionable as to what other flights they would put you on. The EWR to FRA flights are often scheduled earlier leaving Munich or Zurich as a possibility

I fly out of EWR a lot.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Who booked the flight for you? If you want a longer connection you may have to pay to change the ticket if want to change to a later connection.

What I would do is pay to get a seat close to the front of the plane on your flight from MCO so you can get off quickly.