Need documentation for car rental accident - Hertz unresponsive

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 20, 2014
In May 2014 I rented a car from Hertz at Heathrow. Before the day was out I had an accident and returned the car, paid the fine, and got a second vehicle. Four days later this car had a flat tire (according to Hertz an accident), Hertz replaced this car after charging me for a new tire. When I returned home I called my credit card insurance company and filed claims, submitting all the information I had which Hertz had said was all I needed. Since then I have been requesting additional information and Hertz replied once in August (supplying some of the documentation and an additional bill for more damage) and since then there has been no response. I have the email/names of the UK contacts and I have sent requests, even asking them to let me know if they are still receiving my emails but I get no answer. The insurance company is asking for the original rental agreement for the first car and an itemized bill for the second car. Help!

Nov 21, 2014
Elliott I have a similar situation evolving now. I rented a car at Stansted in July after returning to England from the Continent. My travel agent booked it through Auto Europe. Enterprise was the rental agent. I declined their insurance, and used my policy through American Express. We dinged a door when my husband was driving through a tight space and gently scraped some bushes -- which had a short wall hiding behind them! Damage was about $800. Enterprise was fantastic, sent all the detailed damage reports, accident reports, everything. But the insurance company is demanding a "closed rental agreement." I don't have one, for two reasons. The booking was done through Auto Europe, where we paid, and Enterprise in Stansted does not have a document they call a "closed rental agreement." All I have as my receipt for returning the car is my Enterprise accident report, with the mileage and date returned on the bottom. Any advice? My time is running out. I have been going back and forth between the two for five months now, and am stuck in a U.S.-Brit semantics issue. (I am used to these, since my husband is British!)

In total transparency, in August I disputed at $400+ charge from Enterprise on my AmEx card. They had charged us the full price for the car, even though we already paid through Auto Europe. I prevailed in that dispute, and it was taken off my credit card.

Connie Crowther
Miami

PS -- Thanks for the travel forum!

Nov 20, 2014
In May 2014 I rented a car from Hertz at Heathrow. Before the day was out I had an accident and returned the car, paid the fine, and got a second vehicle. Four days later this car had a flat tire (according to Hertz an accident), Hertz replaced this car after charging me for a new tire. When I returned home I called my credit card insurance company and filed claims, submitting all the information I had which Hertz had said was all I needed. Since then I have been requesting additional information and Hertz replied once in August (supplying some of the documentation and an additional bill for more damage) and since then there has been no response. I have the email/names of the UK contacts and I have sent requests, even asking them to let me know if they are still receiving my emails but I get no answer. The insurance company is asking for the original rental agreement for the first car and an itemized bill for the second car. Help!

Nov 20, 2014
On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM,
Here is the most recent thread of emails I have sent to Hertz regarding the additional information I need to process my insurance claim. I just sent the email to Mr. Dickerson based on information you have on your site and an email I received stating to try these steps on my own. I will also forward earlier emails I received from Hertz UK, as well as the original requests. If you need it I can also send attachments of all the documents I have submitted to the insurance company to date.
Thank you for your assistance
Elizabeth Grys

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "bcdickerson@hertz.com" <bcdickerson@hertz.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:44 PM
Subject: Fw: Additional Documentation

Dear Mr. Dickerson:
I am writing in hopes that you may be able to help me resolve my request. I am forwarding to you the emails that I have sent to the UK contacts that have been helping me, but as of the last requests have gone totally silent. I am in need of the requested additional documentation as soon as possible so that my insurance claim can be processed. I apologize if the latest email sounds a bit angry, but I am getting frustrated by the lack of response.
As you can see in the attachments I need two items - an original rental agreement for the first vehicle rented, and an itemized bill on the replacement vehicle's accident repair (a flat tire). I have paid Hertz all the charges, and just need these items to complete my claims.
Thank you for any assistance you can provide
Elizabeth L Grys

To: Barry Cooney <bcooney@hertz.com>
Cc: Teresa Purtill <tpurtill@hertz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:50 PM

Hello Again:
I have included below the last email I sent requesting additional information for my insurance regarding TWO accidents that occurred in May 2014. To date I have not had ANY REPLY to this last request. I did not even receive acknowledgement that this last email was received. Again, I have been patient and have not tried to pester too much in order to allow time to process the request.
PLEASE help me. At least respond and say that you have received the request. If at all possible an approximate date when this information can be supplied would also be helpful. If you are unable to supply this information, perhaps you can put that in writing so I may forward that information to the insurance company.
Elizabeth Grys
On Friday, September 12, 2014 1:30 PM,

Hello Again:
Again I have received a request from my insurance company for additional documentation and again I am sending the request on to you. (See attachments). Again I ask that you provide this information as soon as possible. I have already paid Hertz for all the damage. It may not seem like much to you, but to me it is relatively substantial. I feel that I have been patient in my requests, but it is now approaching the four month mark and my patience is wearing thin.
Please address this issue for me as quickly as you can.
Thank you again
Elizabeth Grys

Christopher Elliott

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Aug 22, 2007
Orlando
www.chriselliotts.com
Beth, can you send these to me directly? I'll make sure the right person at Hertz sees these.

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM,
Here is the most recent thread of emails I have sent to Hertz regarding the additional information I need to process my insurance claim. I just sent the email to Mr. Dickerson based on information you have on your site and an email I received stating to try these steps on my own. I will also forward earlier emails I received from Hertz UK, as well as the original requests. If you need it I can also send attachments of all the documents I have submitted to the insurance company to date.
Thank you for your assistance
Elizabeth Grys

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "bcdickerson@hertz.com" <bcdickerson@hertz.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:44 PM

Dear Mr. Dickerson:
I am writing in hopes that you may be able to help me resolve my request. I am forwarding to you the emails that I have sent to the UK contacts that have been helping me, but as of the last requests have gone totally silent. I am in need of the requested additional documentation as soon as possible so that my insurance claim can be processed. I apologize if the latest email sounds a bit angry, but I am getting frustrated by the lack of response.
As you can see in the attachments I need two items - an original rental agreement for the first vehicle rented, and an itemized bill on the replacement vehicle's accident repair (a flat tire). I have paid Hertz all the charges, and just need these items to complete my claims.
Thank you for any assistance you can provide
Elizabeth L Grys

To: Barry Cooney <bcooney@hertz.com>
Cc: Teresa Purtill <tpurtill@hertz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:50 PM

Hello Again:
I have included below the last email I sent requesting additional information for my insurance regarding TWO accidents that occurred in May 2014. To date I have not had ANY REPLY to this last request. I did not even receive acknowledgement that this last email was received. Again, I have been patient and have not tried to pester too much in order to allow time to process the request.
PLEASE help me. At least respond and say that you have received the request. If at all possible an approximate date when this information can be supplied would also be helpful. If you are unable to supply this information, perhaps you can put that in writing so I may forward that information to the insurance company.
Elizabeth Grys
On Friday, September 12, 2014 1:30 PM,

Hello Again:
Again I have received a request from my insurance company for additional documentation and again I am sending the request on to you. (See attachments). Again I ask that you provide this information as soon as possible. I have already paid Hertz for all the damage. It may not seem like much to you, but to me it is relatively substantial. I feel that I have been patient in my requests, but it is now approaching the four month mark and my patience is wearing thin.
Please address this issue for me as quickly as you can.
Thank you again
Elizabeth Grys