1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice for how to approach T-mobile

Discussion in 'T-Mobile' started by Maddy, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Maddy

Hello~

on Black Friday, we switched from Verizon to T-mobile. We upgraded phones and had the understanding that we would be able to take advantage of the promotion of getting $800 to switch 4 lines, as well as getting the Early Termination fee reimbursed, for one of the phones.
    I clarified that information over their online chat a few weeks later, and was told 'you can trust me' and we could expect $1140 in MC gift cards.
    Today, I found out that we weren't eligible for the $800, and won't get the ETF fees paid. Instead, only 2 of the phones will get the promotion, so will only be getting $400 in gift cards. There was something about having 'credits' for the other 2 phones, on the bill.
    So, I am frustrated that I have been given misinformation. I would not have upgraded my phone if I didn't think that I would have gotten reimbursed.
    Does anyone happen to have any advice or suggestions as to how to proceed from here? I'm thinking of e-mailing the CEO, but wanted your opinion as well

Thanks!!

2. ORresident

Staff Member Advocate

Don't start with the CEO, please! If you get a no from that office, you're done. Instead, I would start with the customer service address here: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/t-mobile/ and then working up from there if you don't get a good response, or no response at all. I'd give them a week between emails.

If you use email (or a chat function) and stay off the phone, you'll have a written record of promises, which may come in handy.

I notice that there's a note in our contacts page that says that T-mobile is often responsive to social media, so you might try posting to the twitter, facebook or google plus feeds. But do your best to keep everything in writing.

Do you have paperwork from when you signed up that states any of the promises that were made to you?

sas80, Maddy and Neil like this.
  3. Maddy

Hi -

Thanks for your quick response! Thank you for letting me know not to start with the CEO, I will follow that advice. The original receipt is in a 'logical location' at this moment in time, but as I recall, it did not specifically say the $800 refund and EFT refund. It just showed buying the phones. I will find the receipt though.
    What I do have in writing is the online chat with the rep saying that I would be getting the $800 and the EFT refund, and I just needed to turn in the final bill from Verizon. I don't know if that is enough to hang my hat on, but maybe it's a start? I will start with the customer rep. emails and go from there.

Thanks again for your help and advice!

4. Maddy

Found it! :) It does not show what promotions we were eligible for and were promised. :-(

5. ORresident

Staff Member Advocate

But you still have this, right? "What I do have in writing is the online chat with the rep saying that I would be getting the $800 and the EFT refund, and I just needed to turn in the final bill from Verizon."

If so, I think you're well on the way to the resolution you want. Having magic pieces of paper to wave or copies of transcripts of promises from a rep are very useful things.

sas80, jsn55 and Maddy like this.
  6. ORresident

Staff Member Advocate

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    jsn55 and Maddy like this.
  7. Maddy

Well, it was all over tv and the internet, so I would think it would be hard for them to conveniently 'forget' about that promotion. I'll track down a copy. If nothing else, I can express my concern with the 'smoke and mirrors' way of doing business.
    I'll post an update when I get a response from t-mobile.

Thanks again!!

sas80 likes this.
  8. ORresident

Staff Member Advocate

I'll be interested to hear how it goes!

9. AAGK

@Maddy can you post the terms of the promotion you saw bc the one I saw online says that you have to purchase 2 phones for the $400 rebate, which is what you received. Is there a different promotion?

10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

When you compose your email, Maddy, be concise, organized and non-emotional. You want the person reading it to understand the situation instantly and route your letter to the proper department. Be polite, patient and persistent ... since you have the offer confirmed via chat, it will be just a matter of time before they knuckle under and do the right thing. The tele-com companies are masters at dancing round and round until you get tired and go away. You can be forewarned and just keep plugging along with your request for justice.

George M, Maddy and ORresident like this.
  11. Maddy

Hi all!

Well, it took awhile, several chats and e-mails, but I finally got a resolution I am satisfied with from T-Mobile. :) My biggest concern was (and is) that T-Mobile is falsely advertising their promotions and then giving a variety of reasons why you weren't eligible for the promotions. My other concern was that they promised gift cards, but then gave you 'credits' on your bill. I'm fine with having a lower bill, but if you promise something then follow through with it.
    I sent an e-mail to the executive customer service, and played phone tag with the rep. who called me back. He must have closed my case because he stopped returning my calls. I sent another e-mail to a person higher up the food chain and got a response today. I was offered $340 to cover early termination fees and $600 for the promised gift cards that we never got. The amount of $940 would be in a gift card. The other option would be that amount applied to our account. If we did that, we wouldn't have a cell phone bill for about 5 months.
    We are leaning towards the amount being applied towards our account. Thoughts, anyone?

Despite this happy resolution, I do think that T-Mobile is doing a bait and switch to folks, which does concern me. I don't like how they promised something but didn't deliver, made excuses for why we didn't qualify, and sucked us in with 'monthly credits'. Do you all think that this should go to our state attorney general? I like T-Mobile and don't want to mess up a good thing, but I don't like their advertising practices. :mad:

Thanks to you all for your help and advice!

12. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Congrats on getting a resolution that you are apparently satisfied with. You aren't alone with your complaint. My girlfriend had the bait and switch pulled by Verizon several years back. She had an unlimited plan and bought an iPhone. They told her that her bill would remain the same and that she would have the same plan. Suddenly her bill jumped because they had moved her from an unlimited plan to one that was a lot more expensive.
    The cable companies do it as well and I have my own complaints ongoing as well as others we have had coming on to this forum to complain. (NY is suing a large cable company at the moment) So it isn't just your carrier. All telecom/cable providers seem to have an issue with honesty.

mmb likes this.