1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

NCL Uk want to cancel my booking - can I appeal?

Discussion in 'NCL' started by Daffodil, Jun 10, 2017.

1. John Galbraith

Staff Member Advocate

Agreed I am hoping that this is an easy one to sort (I know naive!) - unless there is something we are all missing/don't know. If we can't help Daffodil sort it herself I can pick it up in the helpline.

Daffodil, jsn55, Patina and 2 others like this.
  2. Daffodil

Thank you - You really are an amazing bunch of people to offer your time and support to others like this.

No contact from NCL still - will give it another week to see if they get back to me. x

John Galbraith likes this.
  3. Algebralovr

Just an FYI - the cruisetour you list is STILL being offered on US site, just that the price i now likely A LOT higher. I see an inside room at $2698 per person plus gratuities and taxes.

I think your thought that someone goofed and now is trying to circumvent the UK Consumer protection laws is likely correct.

They should have found it sooner.

4. Daffodil

Hello again,
    So, it has been two weeks now and I have had no contact from NCL .
    I guess I now need to escalate it and email the next person on the list but please could you advise what I should say?
    I got the "Sorry to bother you, you obviously have lots of very important matters to attend to" and " I'm sure it's a misunderstanding " but any further help in knowing what to say/how to word it wold be really appreciated.
    I am very much encouraged that nobody else I know of who booked this cruise tour has had any indication from NCL that it has been cancelled. I think that you are all correct and that the Cruise Consultant was told to persuade me to cancel "off the record" through the phonecall.
    Thanks, as always, for your help x

5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You have two options- let it go and book your excursions, etc. as if this person never spoke to you.

Or continue to write one by one to the executives we show on our company contacts page.

I have never seen a response from any of the consumers who have written using our contacts that says "you must have more important matters to attend to". That is appalling.

Algebralovr likes this.
  6. Daffodil

Oh no, sorry - I didn't mean that they had said that to me! One of the pieces of advice I had received earlier on this forum suggested when I write to the CE I should include the phrase " I am sorry to have to bother you as I know you have important matters to attend to".
    Sorry for any confusion : )

7. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I am not familiar with cruises so forgive me if this is a dumb question.....can you check on your reservation/booking online like you can an airline reservation? If so, I would monitor it regularly rather than pursue communication with the execs. I see it this way, you have a confirmed trip that has been paid for, no reason you should assume it has been cancelled without any written notification.

One suggestion is to check your junk folder for any emails from the cruise company.

jsn55 likes this.
  8. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

You can login on NCL and view your reservation. You can also access your confirmation and various other things. 90 days or so prior to sailing you can make specialty restaurant reservations and book excursions through the cruise line. So if you haven't done so already, I'd go online and see what your reservation says. No reservation, then you need to go up the ladder.

jsn55 and Patina like this.
  9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Yes, our writer has done that and can see the reservation. She is worried because some agent told her there was an error o we the phone but NCL has not contacted in writing about it. She is being proactive.

10. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I understand that. My point is, unless she receives a cancellation in writing, I would go with the premise there still is a reservation and does not need to confirm what is already confirmed in writing. Similar to telling OPs to 'communicate in writing because anything said over the phone essentially didn't happen.'

Neil likes this.
  11. Algebralovr

At this point, I simply recommend taking screen shots and downloading a printed copy of the reservation. Make shore excursion plans online. If something happens and your reservation disappears, then proceed with contacting the higher ups. You have good consumer protections in the UK.

I think the agent on the phone was trying to get you to cancel due to the low price. It would be one thing if that was within a few days, not months.

12. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Great idea.

13. Daffodil

Hi there,
    Unfortunately, I can't risk the "wait and see" approach.
    Because we are coming from the UK flights will be expensive so I would be looking to buy them at 11months out. If NCL did then cancel at short notice I would be stuck with specific flights and have to try to rebook our vacation even though cruise prices would have increased and we might not be able to find affordable/vacant accommodation independently in Alaska at short notice. That could mean that we find ourselves unable to afford the trip at all.
    No, I need to be clear within the next few weeks that either the vacation is going to be honoured or, if they say they will cancel, have time try to appeal against their decision whilst still giving myself time to rearrange something if we were to be unsuccessful.
    In light of that, I have now sent an email to the first CE on the list. I've had an auto reply to say she's working out of her China office at present so will wait the two weeks to see if I hear back from her.
    Will let you know what happens.
    xxx

14. VoR61

Advocate

Even if you do get confirmation from an executive, travel insurance is highly recommended. Anything can derail your plans at any time ...

Neil likes this.
  15. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

NCL is currently launching Joy in China so I imagine most executives are there right now.

16. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

This must be really frustrating, Daffodil. I'd be a basket case. To save your sanity, I'd set a deadline for yourself. Do everything possible to confirm this trip. If it's not all set by your deadline, cancel it all and make other arrangements.

17. Daffodil

Just an update.
    Had another phonecall from the NCL agent tonight!
    She told me she's been "getting it in the neck" to make sure I know I need to cancel my booking.
    I politely told her that I was not going to do anything over the phone and that "they" need to put it in writing to me. It was a weird call really because she was being quite pushy but at the same time saying how she didn't like the situation and doesn't like this part of the job.
    I told her I had written to the CE and would await her reply and reiterated that in the meantime I required whoever had told her to call me to put all correspondence in writing.
    I think it's pretty poor and verging on a bullying tactic. Quite frankly, if they really wanted (and were allowed) to cancel , surely I would have just received a letter or email and my deposit credited back to my credit card.
    I'm glad I found this site because you are giving me the confidence to fight this one.

Neil and John Galbraith like this.
  18. VoR61

Advocate

At this point, I recommend you reach out to the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC). They are an arm of the DOT dedicated to cruise issues, and I think, should hear of the very strange actions by NCL.

19. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I completely agree with your assessment.....if they had a right to cancel they would be doing so. Clearly, that isn't an option so they want you to essentially back out of the commitment so they are not held liable.

I will be very intetested to hear how all this pans out but one thing that phone call to you proved is your reservation is still very much in tack.

jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  20. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You are absolutely correct. If they were going to cancel you should have received an email and a refund of your deposit.

What was her response when you said you wanted it in writing? I am not sure what "getting it in the neck" means but a phone call from them would mean nothing to me. Insist on a written document.

Please keep us informed- this is such a curious case.

Daffodil, Patina and VoR61 like this.