NCL new cancel policy / update - effective Jan 1, 2016

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 28, 2015
Norwegian Cruise Line toughens cancellation terms
By Tom Stieghorst / December 15, 2015

Norwegian Cruise Line announced new terms for canceling booked cruises that will require earlier decisions about backing out of trips and impose higher penalties on cancellations.

The changes, which take effect on bookings made after Jan. 1, are complex. But on one common product, the cruise or cruise tour of 7 days or longer, the least costly cancellation will require forfeit of 25% of the cruise fare for bookings cancelled 76 to 89 days from sailing.

The current policy is loss of deposit for bookings cancelled 56 to 75 days before sailing.

Cancellations 60 to 75 days out come with a 50% penalty, those from 31-60 days a 75% penalty and within 30 days, 100% penalty.

The current schedule penalizes cancellations from 29 to 55 days out at 50%, and those from 15 to 28 days at 75%. Currently, when guests cancel within 14 days of sailing, they lose their full fare.

Standard deposits will be $100 per person on cruises of two to six days, $250 on cruises seven to nine days and $400 on voyages 10 days or longer.

Final payment will be due 75 days from sailings of two to six days and 90 days on longer voyages. Holiday sailings will require final payment 120 days from sailing, except for the Norwegian Sky.

Jan 6, 2015
I started a quote on InsureMytrip and also called them about NY. Based upon what I entered, Cancel for Any Reason was available.

What they stated to me is that age, destination, and trip cost can eliminate CFAR coverage if your live in NY. But it is "available" under certain criteria ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I live in NY and I also sell to NY and we cannot sell it. All the travel insurance companies block out NY for CFAR. Perhaps insuremytrips website is not updated about the regulations here.

The only way a client living in NY can get CFAR is through a supplier that self insures, because NY State doesn't consider CFAR actual insurance. As an agent, all the travel insurance companies we sell insurance through, as soon as we input the resident lives in NY, all insurance options that contain CFAR as blocked from us selling it.

Here as an example from an insurance website:
These Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plans offer a 75% “Cancel For Any Reason” (CFAR) as an optional upgrade (this adds 50% to the price):

From Travel Insured:
Because New York State residents are not eligible for the Worldwide Trip Protector Plus plan, the Cancel for Any Reason benefit is not available to residents of that state.

From Travel Guard:
www.travelinsured.com/benefits/cancel-for-any-reason
Travel
Insured offers an option that allows you to cancel for any reason (not already ... Cancel For Any Reason. Get Quote · View Plans ... This benefit is available in the Worldwide Trip Protector Plus plan if the insurance is purchased no ... Because New York State residents are not eligible for the Worldwide Trip Protector ...

Sep 22, 2014
Evidently, all you TA's got advance notice of this change in NCL cancellations without penalty. After reading over the Original Post, I contacted my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant for addtional info.

I seems to me that the "New" Rules are subjecting ALL bookings to the pre existing final payment and cancellation rules that were already in affect for NCL's "Suites" bookings.

Do you have a different take on this?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Evidently, all you TA's got advance notice of this change in NCL cancellations without penalty. After reading over the Original Post, I contacted my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant for addtional info.

I seems to me that the "New" Rules are subjecting ALL bookings to the pre existing final payment and cancellation rules that were already in affect for NCL's "Suites" bookings.

Do you have a different take on this?
No, you are correct. There is no longer a difference, it's 90 days out for final for everyone.

Let's see if other lines follow their lead. I think eventually you are going to see non refundable deposits like the river cruises or Carnival with their early savers fare.