Nationwide Itinerary Change Benefit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2015
Hi All,

My wife and I recently cruised with Carnival and had a port cancelled after the trip had started. We had a Nationwide Choice Cruise Plan that had coverage for an itinerary change. The way I read the confirmation of coverage and the actual plan itself we probably should have received $750 per person benefit. We were paid $200 each. The EOB stated that the payment was for Itinerary Change but it looks like we were paid for Shipboard Disruption. There is no description for Shipboard Disruption in the policy but it is listed in the confirmation of coverage.

I've attached the confirmation of coverage along with the section from the plan regarding Itinerary Changes. I also included the entire policy but it's kind of lengthy.

What does everyone think? Should I appeal or did I receive the proper amount?

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
The policy pays up to the limit of $750 on a Port of Call change -- this is when the change is announced before departure

Service interruption is 200 which is a change to the schedule once the trip has started.

This is on pages 11-12 of the long policy.

I think you were paid correctly -- but I agree the policy is awkwardly worded. But since the change was announced after departure the lower amount is proper payment of the policy. As least that is how I read it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Christina- it's an inconvenience change. What was the reason for skipping the port? They cover themselves by stating one is for before departure date and one for after. I think most people would be thrilled to get anything back for a skipped port.
No reason to appeal.

ITINERARY CHANGE – INCONVENIENCE In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary after Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum NSHTC 2500 NW Cruise – Choice – Ed. 12/1/14 Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage. Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented; 1) fire; or 2) mechanical breakdown; or 3) virus that affects 30% or more passengers; or 4) an event on board that suspends 30% or more of the ship’s services for 24 hours; or 5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary. Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

I find this a very intriguing policy - I have never heard of this before. And it also covers pre paid excursions for a port change.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil I had never heard of this but then I never take cruises! I looked at the policy to try and figure it out. It is awkwardly written-- but at least there was something paid and I think it is the correct amount as per the policy.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
I knew there was a policy out there. Someone mentioned it on the Cruise Critic NCL forums a little bit back because of the hurricane changes.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
Just took a quick look and this is why I did't pursue - I'm a resident of MO so it wouldn't cover the two itinerary changes I'd be interested in.
Itinerary Changes
  • Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience after departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion

Jan 6, 2015
Thanks for all the input. It is certainly an interesting policy and they must have paid out quite a few claims this hurricane season. We missed Cozumel due to Hurricane Nate.

The policy could have been written much better but I agree that the intent is to categorize our missed port as a Shipboard Disruption. I'm not going to complain about the $400 we received but I also wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything on the table.

Thanks again!

Mark

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just took a quick look and this is why I did't pursue - I'm a resident of MO so it wouldn't cover the two itinerary changes I'd be interested in.
Itinerary Changes
  • Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience after departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion
In NY, same applies here

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks for all the input. It is certainly an interesting policy and they must have paid out quite a few claims this hurricane season. We missed Cozumel due to Hurricane Nate.

The policy could have been written much better but I agree that the intent is to categorize our missed port as a Shipboard Disruption. I'm not going to complain about the $400 we received but I also wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything on the table.

Thanks again!

Mark
Thanks for posting Mark, I learned something new from your post. Hope you had a good trip and it was a prudent move to insure your trip.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Thanks again!

Mark
Insurance policies of all kinds are written to cause the most confusion to the purchaser of the policy. It's been ever true with insurance; they've always done their level best to not actually state anything clearly.

Oct 10, 2016
Tucson, AZ
This is a very interesting situation. I had a similar situation about 2 years ago on Princess. My friend and I took a 4-day cruise out of LA. Our itinerary was to be as follows: Catalina Island, Day at Sea, Ensenada, Day at Sea, and back to LA. Due to bad weather we were not allowed into the port at Catalina Island, so we were taken to San Diego where we docked for the day. When we woke up the morning we were supposed to spend in Ensenada, again, we could not get into the port due to bad weather. So , we sailed back to LA and that was the end of the cruise. To add insult to injury, all of us had to get into line to go through customs when we disembarked. Even though we never got off the ship in Mexico, we passed through International Waters. Another wasted hour!

Missing one ort our of say, 5 or 6, is one thing. But 2 our of 2 is another. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Princess Customer Service, suggesting that perhaps vouchers be given out for a percentage off on a future cruise or some similar compensation. Basically, I was told that ports missed due to weather are not compensated, as they would have to compensate every passenger on every cruise and would set a precedent for every other cruise line. I finally got them to give us a free Specialty Dinner on our next cruise. (I think this was to get me off their back).

Since I have no documentation of any kind, I am not looking for compensation, but just want to know if this is a new policy or something I missed and believed that no money was due because it was a weather-related missed port.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is a very interesting situation. I had a similar situation about 2 years ago on Princess. My friend and I took a 4-day cruise out of LA. Our itinerary was to be as follows: Catalina Island, Day at Sea, Ensenada, Day at Sea, and back to LA. Due to bad weather we were not allowed into the port at Catalina Island, so we were taken to San Diego where we docked for the day. When we woke up the morning we were supposed to spend in Ensenada, again, we could not get into the port due to bad weather. So , we sailed back to LA and that was the end of the cruise. To add insult to injury, all of us had to get into line to go through customs when we disembarked. Even though we never got off the ship in Mexico, we passed through International Waters. Another wasted hour!

Missing one ort our of say, 5 or 6, is one thing. But 2 our of 2 is another. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Princess Customer Service, suggesting that perhaps vouchers be given out for a percentage off on a future cruise or some similar compensation. Basically, I was told that ports missed due to weather are not compensated, as they would have to compensate every passenger on every cruise and would set a precedent for every other cruise line. I finally got them to give us a free Specialty Dinner on our next cruise. (I think this was to get me off their back).

Since I have no documentation of any kind, I am not looking for compensation, but just want to know if this is a new policy or something I missed and believed that no money was due because it was a weather-related missed port.

Your cruise contract states that the itineraries are subject to change exactly for reasons like this and there is no compensation due. All you are due is a refund of any port fees you paid for the ports you didn't hit and that is usually taken off any charges you had on the ship.

I was on a 3 day Celebrity cruise almost 2 years ago that was unable to get into the 2 ports we were supposed to get into - Nassau and their private island. We basically were on a cruise to nowhere. At the last minute they took us to Freeport which was totally closed after being hit with a hurricane a few weeks before. We did not receive any compensation for this. But it's the last time we'll ever do a short cruise.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
Had a friend suggest that recently - 3-4 day cruise. No thanks. I'm not close to any cruise ports so I have to fly/drive in. Need to get there the day before. Then you get on the ship for a couple of days and have to repack again and lose another day for traveling. Not worth my time. Although I will do a 7 day or longer one.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We've done two short cruises in 20 years of cruising and both had issues getting into ports. Swore we'd never do a short cruise again. We are doing a 4 night to Cuba and Key West in May and hope there are no problems with this one.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
All depends on our relations with Cuba at that time. Hope things go well for you!
The new travel rules do not affect anything with cruises. And you can still travel on people to people tours. The travel industry has too much money invested in travel to Cuba for our President to mess with it. His new
"Rules" don't affect much.