National Said My LDW is Invalid for a Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

WeL

Apr 1, 2021
Hi All, I am reporting a claim issue with National that seems to be relative rare on this forum.

I rented a car from National Aisle last December. I thought I have scratch a lamp-post when driving out a parking lot to return the car but it was so mild that I thought it was OK and did not check it. Arrived at the airport, an National agent noticed the scratch. It was a mild one that she even asked a senior agent if it needed to be reported as damage. The senior agent confirmed it and I then I realized I did hit the post. I told her and asked if there is anything I need to do. The agent checked a while and told me that the loss damage waiver on my rental agreement will cover it and I was all good to go. I received the receipt a few days later without any additional charge.

Last week, I received an email from [email protected] asking me that they need more information to identify if there is any other party involved with a mention that they note there is LDW that relieve my responsibility. I replied that I might have scratched a post which was mild that I did not realize the damage until return. Yesterday, they replied further with a PDF doc saying that "However, after reviewing the facts surrounding this loss, we have determined that the damage protection product cannot be honored due to actions that invalidate such protection. Please refer to the terms and condition of your rental agreement"

I have no idea what action violate the agreement. I looked up into the original rental agreement and did not find any specified terms regarding actions invalidate LDW. In fact, I do not understand what mistake I might have make to invalid this LDW. It is a business rental with a promo code but it is legal. I did checked everything with the agent when returning the car. The only pitfall is may be that I did not report this damage immediately over phone when it happens but that is because it is really mild that I did not realized it. After all, it was only 20 minutes drive from the parking lot where I had the scratch to the returning location so basically I reported it in 20 minutes.

I checked the information on the forum and replied the email from [email protected] describing the situation above and asked them to specify what action violate the LDW terms and their copy of the original rental agreement and receipt. I also asked for Time stamped and dated pictures of the damage, A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the car when the damage was noted and A copy of the incident report so I can check if they are referring to the exact damage I am talking about. I copied the email to [email protected] and also submit a similar complaint using National online CS form.

I would welcome further suggestions regarding this issue. I kind of worried since if there is really a action violate the LDW policy (for which my personal judgement is no), my company would not pay this for me. I am also worried what if there is no response? Should I just email their senior manager on the website contact list in that case?

Reactions: Pegx
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
A few questions to help clarify your situation:

1. Have you received any communications from National?
2. Can you determine who [email protected] is?
3. Have you received an invoice from anyone?
4. Did you save the receipt that you received that showed no damage upon check-in?

Reactions: jsn55
Nov 30, 2018
First, so sorry you are having this problem. Don’t give up.

An internet search showed that there may be an issue with the corporate discount code... not that you did anything wrong by using it. It seems that some employers have a corporate discount code that includes LDW for both business and personal rentals, and some employers only include it for business rentals.

If you paid for the LDW, this does not apply. But if it was “automatically” included, it might be the problem.

Either way, it costs nothing to appeal. Good luck!

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
May 1, 2018
It is a business rental with a promo code but it is legal.
Did you use a promo code specific to your company/organization or a random one that you found online? Did the promo code include LDW or did you pay for the LDW separately?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
When I navigate to epi.com I see that they are:
PIONEERS IN METAL-FINISHING CHEMISTRY

It does appear that they have nothing to do with National . . .

WeL

Apr 1, 2021
A few questions to help clarify your situation:

1. Have you received any communications from National?
2. Can you determine who [email protected] is?
3. Have you received an invoice from anyone?
4. Did you save the receipt that you received that showed no damage upon check-in?
Hi Alexander:

1. I have not received reply to my response to [email protected], including National Customer Service. But I happened to have the branch manager email of the location I returned the car and I sent him an email. He replied me promptly saying that he will follow up with this and he said he also do not see why the LDW is voided. He asked me to forward him the email from [email protected] and he said he will contact them to get clarification.

2. Seems like their damage repair unit.

3. No. But in the email [email protected] sent me saying that the LDW is voided there is information saying how they will evaluate the loss.

4. I have the receipt after return. I do not think there is damage upon check-in and I acknowledge that I am responsible for the damage the agent noticed upon return. I just do not understand why the LDW is voided.

Last edited:

WeL

Apr 1, 2021
First, so sorry you are having this problem. Don’t give up.

An internet search showed that there may be an issue with the corporate discount code... not that you did anything wrong by using it. It seems that some employers have a corporate discount code that includes LDW for both business and personal rentals, and some employers only include it for business rentals.

If you paid for the LDW, this does not apply. But if it was “automatically” included, it might be the problem.

Either way, it costs nothing to appeal. Good luck!
Hi Kate, I do not pay extra for the LDW and it is included in my business rental.

I do not think the code is a problem and just wondering why they think the LDW is voided in my case.

The only reason I can guess is that they think I did not "promptly report the damage", but as I said, "I did not report this damage immediately over phone when it happens but that is because it is really mild that I did not realized it. After all, it was only 20 minutes drive from the parking lot where I had the scratch to the returning location so basically I reported it in 20 minutes."

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I had to simulate a rental to see what might invalidate an LDW

A. If vehicle is damaged when used or driven:
1. by any person other than renter or AAD(s) without owner’s prior written consent
2. by a driver who was impaired by the use of alcohol, narcotics, intoxicants, or drugs, used with or without a prescription
3. by any person committing a felony or otherwise engaged in a criminal act
4. by any person with a license that is suspended, revoked, invalid or does not belong to the driver
5. in a race or speed contest
6. in a wanton or reckless manner or if vehicle is deliberately damaged
7. on an unpaved road or off road
8. to transport explosives, chemicals, corrosives or other hazardous materials or pollutants of any kind

B. If renter misrepresents facts to owner pertaining to rental, use, or operation of vehicle whether before or after any loss and/or damage

C. If vehicle’s interior components are stolen or damaged when vehicle is unlocked or keys are not secured

D. If renter fails or refuses to provide owner, police, or other authorities with a full report of any accident or vandalism involving vehicle or otherwise fails to cooperate with owner, police, or other authorities in the investigation of any accident or vandalism

E. If vehicle is stolen and renter fails to do any of the following: (1) return the original ignition key(s) and owner’s key tag identifying vehicle; (2) file a police report within 24 hours after discovering the theft; (3) cooperate fully with owner, police and other authorities in all matters connected with the investigation of the theft; (4) ensure that vehicle’s ignition is turned off at the time vehicle is stolen.
Of these, the one that would seem the most likely is A.6

You should, I think, escalate this VIA EMAIL using the contacts in the following link:
do not include attachments - - offer instead to send them upon request
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

EXAMPLE
"I am writing to you today because my efforts to resolve an issue with customer service have been unsuccessful. Here are the details:

• I rented a car from National Aisle last December
• I scratched a lamp-post when driving out of a parking lot to return the car
• When I arrived at the airport, an National agent stated that the LDW on my rental agreement will cover it
• I received the receipt a few days later without any additional charge
• Last week, I received an email from [email protected] asking me that they need more information
• I replied that I might have scratched a post which was mild that I did not realize the damage until return
• Yesterday, after reviewing the facts they stated that the LDW cannot be honored due to actions that invalidate such protection
• I have reviewed the rental agreement and cannot find any reason to invalidate the LDW
I respectfully request that you close this matter by honoring the LDW that I purchased

Thank you for your time and consideration - I respect that you are very busy"

Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
I agree with @VoR61 ’s approach. It sounds like any damage, when entered into their system, automatically flags their insurance/recovery unit.

ehi.com makes a lot more sense—that's Enterprise Holdings Inc., the corporate entity behind National.

Since you haven’t been charged for anything yet, your claim isn’t quite “ripe.” It’s hard to know what to do until EHI actually acts. However, with @VoR61 ’s letter, you might be able to stop the whole process before it gets started. “Wanton, reckless, and deliberate” is an awfully high standard to reach, especially when you told them you did it and it was an accident.

WeL

Apr 1, 2021
I had to simulate a rental to see what might invalidate an LDW
Thank you so much VoR61! I did not find that detailed info about violating LDW on my rental agreement. I would be very surprise that if term A6 is their excuse since it would be very easy to accuse any customer who had a accident for that.

I also wonder if there excuse is term D since the agent at the airport did not ask me to file a formal report. But that is not my fault as she told me it is OK without asking further.

Also thank you for your template letter. Currently, the local branch manager has told me that he will contact [email protected] for clarification as he does not see why the LDW is voided. Should I wait for him or should I just starting sending email to the first person on that contact list?

Many thanks!

Nov 22, 2019
Irvine CA
You should also check with your company and talk to the person in charge of travelling. Did you use a credit card with damage waiver by any chance?

Here is my situation and understanding of my own situation:
Once, the person in accounting in charge of the travel agnecy forgot to renew one contract with Southwest for 7 months until I noticed I was not getting the extra 50% points promised, so don't assume there is one person in your company in charge only of this, it is probably someone who is very busy with many other things.

I have a company code for discounted price for business and personal trip, and damage waiver for business trip (personals are excluded). However when I book a personal trip, Hertz adds the damage waiver for free. Probably a bug in their system. I know I am not eligible.

My company doesn't allow to book an SUV except if I get an authorization first. I always book economy and get free upgrade to full size or AWD SUV if needed, I do not know if the free damage waiver they have negotiated would work for it...

So read carefully the information where you got your company code to know if there are some restrictions.

WeL

Apr 1, 2021
Thank you all for your reply. An update:

After I forward the email from DRU to the local airport branch manger, he replied to DRU and cc'd me saying that "Please do not pursue this claim from the renter. He had LDW and what I have seen his contract for the LDW is not void."

This relieve my stress a lit bit and I am glad to see that someone from National really care about customer instead of trying to make every penny from them. Actually, I found the local branch staff to be real friendly in the past when renting with them and they had helped to found some lost items I left in the car that were easy to ignore once.

It also surprised me that two different departments of the same company are acting totally different on a same issue. I do sincerely appreciate the help from the branch manager, but I am not sure if he is in a position that has the power to let the DRU drop the case.

From what I learned, the DRU is known to be non responsive to emails sent to them. I wonder if they will still proceed to send me an bill for charge in this case or will they just drop it.

I am wondering what should I do if there is no response from DRU regarding the manager's email? Should I be nervous about it everyday for a possible bill showing up someday or should I start contact the persons on the Contact List to make sure they drop the case? I am reluctant to the latter at this time cause I don't want the branch manager feel like that I do not trust him.

Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Thank you all for your reply. An update:

After I forward the email from DRU to the local airport branch manger, he replied to DRU and cc'd me saying that "Please do not pursue this claim from the renter. He had LDW and what I have seen his contract for the LDW is not void."

This relieve my stress a lit bit and I am glad to see that someone from National really care about customer instead of trying to make every penny from them. Actually, I found the local branch staff to be real friendly in the past when renting with them and they had helped to found some lost items I left in the car that were easy to ignore once.

It also surprised me that two different departments of the same company are acting totally different on a same issue. I do sincerely appreciate the help from the branch manager, but I am not sure if he is in a position that has the power to let the DRU drop the case.

From what I learned, the DRU is known to be non responsive to emails sent to them. I wonder if they will still proceed to send me an bill for charge in this case or will they just drop it.

I am wondering what should I do if there is no response from DRU regarding the manager's email? Should I be nervous about it everyday for a possible bill showing up someday or should I start contact the persons on the Contact List to make sure they drop the case? I am reluctant to the latter at this time cause I don't want the branch manager feel like that I do not trust him.
I think I’d take the “wait and see” approach.

Reactions: Comicman and Skippy

WeL

Apr 1, 2021
Did you use a promo code specific to your company/organization or a random one that you found online? Did the promo code include LDW or did you pay for the LDW separately?
It is specific to my organization with LDW included, not some random one found online.

WeL

Apr 1, 2021
Update:

I received an email from the airport manager telling me that the Company replied him that I used corp account which I was not an employee to (BTW, they did not reply that info to me)

This is strange. Cause I am an employee of the corp account, which can even be googled. I contacted my department and they told me no one from National has contacted them to verify my info.

I then realized that this corp code was actually shared by several organizations in the state. DRU might even had no idea which exact organization I belong to before they made that conclusion. Then the possible reason could be:

1. At the time of the rental, I just moved to the current state for a new job with my current employer and has not updated my driver license due to the pandemic. So the address shown from my DL is from another state which may be their reason for make that judgement.

2. I had an accident 2 years ago when renting with Enterprise for a business trip of my previous job. That time someone from Enterprise (possibly DRU but I am not sure) has contacted me to verify my employment info and they may have that in file for now.

But either way, DRU has not yet contacted me even I emailed the local branch manager and the DRU with verification of my employment. I sent an email to the first exec on the Contact List on Sat and was still waiting for response.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Update:

I received an email from the airport manager telling me that the Company replied him that I used corp account which I was not an employee to (BTW, they did not reply that info to me)

This is strange. Cause I am an employee of the corp account, which can even be googled. I contacted my department and they told me no one from National has contacted them to verify my info.

I then realized that this corp code was actually shared by several organizations in the state. DRU might even had no idea which exact organization I belong to before they made that conclusion. Then the possible reason could be:

1. At the time of the rental, I just moved to the current state for a new job with my current employer and has not updated my driver license due to the pandemic. So the address shown from my DL is from another state which may be their reason for make that judgement.

2. I had an accident 2 years ago when renting with Enterprise for a business trip of my previous job. That time someone from Enterprise (possibly DRU but I am not sure) has contacted me to verify my employment info and they may have that in file for now.

But either way, DRU has not yet contacted me even I emailed the local branch manager and the DRU with verification of my employment. I sent an email to the first exec on the Contact List on Sat and was still waiting for response.
Give it at least a week- if you hear nothing, move up our company contacts weekly and let the new executive know who you emailed and the date you emailed and haven’t received a response.

Reactions: Comicman and VoR61