Moving home. Cannot have Direct TV

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 6, 2017
Hi

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice regarding my Direct TV contract.

We took out a 2 year contract with them in a rented house, but in February 2017, we had to move to an apartment complex which does not allow Direct TV.

We have incurred an Early Cancellation fee of $280, after speaking to Customer Services, who said, its not their fault they cannot continue with service.

Is there anything or anyone I can speak to regarding this matter. It seems that after having read other posters comments, the outlook seems bleak.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It isn't quite that easy when you are in an apartment complex. Many areas have only exclusive contracts with one cable provider to keep symmetry and so all dishes look the same. And does he own the equipment or is it leased through the cable company? I know if I cancel my subscription, I have to turn that equipment in, I don't own it.

You can try using our company contacts for Dish and writing to them explaining the hardship and see if they will waive the termination fee. If you don't ask you don't get. Tell them you want to take it with you but the complex doesn't allow it and send a copy of the link Warren posted and see what they say.

Jan 8, 2015
Is it that they do not allow the dishes, or could it be that the mounting area does not face in the correct direction? When I moved into an apartment I was in one that did not have a balcony and also which did not face the correct direction. There may be language in the contract that precludes them from charging you based on the inability to receive their services.