Most reputable travel insurance company?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 2, 2018
Planning a 6 week trip to the UK, IRELAND AND ICELAND. Read a positive remark of Elliott about Allianz Travel Ins. I decided to call them up to get some of my questions answered and purchase the coverage. I absolutely could not get through to anyone. My thought was if it was so poor at the front end how could one think that there would be anyone reachable in the event of a claim (back end). I have learned to always call the back end in planning to purchase anything because that is the real soul of the company. Not sure if Elliott reads any posts but would like to get his thoughts if possible as well as that of any pros on this forum. Thanks

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Planning a 6 week trip to the UK, IRELAND AND ICELAND. Read a positive remark of Elliott about Allianz Travel Ins. I decided to call them up to get some of my questions answered and purchase the coverage. I absolutely could not get through to anyone. My thought was if it was so poor at the front end how could one think that there would be anyone reachable in the event of a claim (back end). I have learned to always call the back end in planning to purchase anything because that is the real soul of the company. Not sure if Elliott reads any posts but would like to get his thoughts if possible as well as that of any pros on this forum. Thanks
I use the Travel Insurance Center in Omaha. They're a broker, so have access and expertise to sell you the right policy for your trip. There are so many minute details, some seemingly illogical, that it's important to know exactly what you're buying. Six weeks in Ireland and Iceland ... what a great trip it will be.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s a Saturday and the regular employees who can answer questions about a policy don’t work weekends. Call on Monday.

Any insurance you purchase will give you a 24 hour hotline to call in an emergency which is not the same number you call for questions.

Allianz is a reputable company but call them
Monday.

You can find a list of various insurance companies by checking www.insuremytrip.com
But wait until Monday to ask questions about buying a policy.

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
It’s a Saturday and the regular employees who can answer questions about a policy don’t work weekends. Call on Monday.

Any insurance you purchase will give you a 24 hour hotline to call in an emergency which is not the same number you call for questions.

Allianz is a reputable company but call them
Monday.

You can find a list of various insurance companies by checking www.insuremytrip.com
But wait until Monday to ask questions about buying a policy.
Neil,,
We have been traveling overseas since 2004. I have checked Allianz, TravelGuard, and Travelex. I might be mistaken, but to the best of my memory:

Allianz requires you to pay a claim upfront and then reimburses you.

TravelGuard requires you to insure your trip from the day you leave home until the day your return. I flew to Canada from Arizona with a week layover in Chicago. I have health insurance in the States, so I did not have to insure the part of my trip from AZ to Chicago. I only needed to cover myself for the time in Canada, but TravelGuard would not allow that.

Travelex is primary and covers expenses upfront so you do not have any out-of-pocket costs AND allows you to insure as much or as little as you want. We usually insure the full cost of our trip.

Hope this helps,

Shirley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil,,
We have been traveling overseas since 2004. I have checked Allianz, TravelGuard, and Travelex. I might be mistaken, but to the best of my memory:

Allianz requires you to pay a claim upfront and then reimburses you.

TravelGuard requires you to insure your trip from the day you leave home until the day your return. I flew to Canada from Arizona with a week layover in Chicago. I have health insurance in the States, so I did not have to insure the part of my trip from AZ to Chicago. I only needed to cover myself for the time in Canada, but TravelGuard would not allow that.

Travelex is primary and covers expenses upfront so you do not have any out-of-pocket costs AND allows you to insure as much or as little as you want. We usually insure the full cost of our trip.

Hope this helps,

Shirley
We sell insurance and are well aware of the process and limitations.

If a policy you purchase is a secondary policy (and most are) you always have to file a claim and have it rejected by the primary insurance and then file with the insurance conpany.

If you buy a policy that is primary, then you don’t have to do that. You can submit bills directly and some policies will even cover your bills directly with a hospital and you don’t have to pay anything up front. Those are a little more expensive than secondary. Travelex is one of those companies.

Yes, the trip has to be covered from the day you leave to the day you come home and some companies don’t Insure more than 30 days altogether on a trip. You certainly could have simply put the full travel dates in for the trip you did with the week in Chicago. It wouldn’t have cost you anymore to insure the full trip- the price is based on the amount of your trip and your age, not on the number of days you were traveling.

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
We sell insurance and are well aware of the process and limitations.

If a policy you purchase is a secondary policy (and most are) you always have to file a claim and have it rejected by the primary insurance and then file with the insurance conpany.

If you buy a policy that is primary, then you don’t have to do that. You can submit bills directly and some policies will even cover your bills directly with a hospital and you don’t have to pay anything up front. Those are a little more expensive than secondary. Travelex is one of those companies.

Yes, the trip has to be covered from the day you leave to the day you come home and some companies don’t Insure more than 30 days altogether on a trip. You certainly could have simply put the full travel dates in for the trip you did with the week in Chicago. It wouldn’t have cost you anymore to insure the full trip- the price is based on the amount of your trip and your age, not on the number of days you were traveling.
Neil,
Thanks for the information.

Shirley