Mold in my room

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2017
I stayed at the Paris Marriott Charles de Gaulle the night before flying back to the US last week. Prior to that I stayed at another Paris Marriott with little issue. I checked into the hotel in the early evening with my mom. Within minutes of entering the room I felt something choking me/irritating my throat/making me cough. I'm allergic to dust, mold and mildew and this appeared to be quite a dated room. When the man working the front desk brought my luggage up, I asked if we could change rooms. He stated that they were fully booked and there is no other room. A while later when I opened the closet for an iron, I saw mold and immediately understood what was making my throat irritated. I again went downstairs and asked someone else if there was any other room available. This time I was told there is another room but it's just as old and likely not much better. If I were not traveling with my limited mobility mom, at this point I would have asked for a refund and gone elsewhere. Long story short, I stayed the night and left early the next morning with an irritated/itchy/sore throat that would last 5 days. I've called Marriott twice since I've been back and emailed them today with a picture of the mold. I haven't heard back from anyone (I was told the GM of that property would have reached out to me by yesterday.) No hotel should have rooms with mold on the walls, especially not a Marriott. If I wanted a dodgy, cheap place, that's what I would have booked. I expected cleanliness, convenience and quality and therefore paid way more to stay at this hotel. So at this point, what is a reasonable expectation from Marriott? Thank you :)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What do you want them to do? You most likely won't get a free room because you stayed and didn't leave but they might offer you a some type of credit. The reviews aren't bad but I did read one that said rooms were tired and the manager said they were looking at room renovations.

Did you ask them to give you a partial refund at the hotel?

We have company contacts on top of our pages. Stop calling and send an email and tell them what you would like them to do. All correspondence needs to be in writing so you have a paper trail.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't or say no, write to the first executive. Repeat weekly if you need to.

Let us know how you make out.

Sep 19, 2015
Did you look at the second room to see if there was mold there? An older hotel or room should not equate mold -- it sounds like there was a leak in a pipe that ran behind the closet, and there may not have been a similar leak in the other room.

But mold in a closet, ick.

I have to agree with Neil that a refund is unlikely.
Are you a member of their loyalty program? Maybe Marriott would give points that can be towards another stay.

Sep 19, 2017
So the GM of that property wrote me an email to apologize about the condition of the room and added 8K points to my Marriott loyalty account. I never asked for a refund. I had only contacted them so that they would be aware of the condition of their property. As a consumer, I just wanted to hear an apology and a sincere effort that the issue would be remedied not only for myself but for others too - that too was addressed.