1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Marriott vacation club Encore program. Refund exception

Discussion in 'Marriott' started by Susan Y, Jan 10, 2018 at 6:48 PM.

1. Susan Y

In December 2016 my husband and I attended a sales presentation at the Frenchmans Reef hotel in St. Thomas. We were staying at the adjacent vacation club property, Frenchmans Cove. We are already owners in the vacation club and this presentation was to consider purchasing additional points. We declined, but instead purchased the encore package for $1195 which would allow us to return to that location and see the same sales woman for reconsideration of purchase. The package was nonrefundable and non-transferable. Our reservation to return was for December 2017.
    Following the destruction of St. Thomas by the hurricanes, Marriottt was quick to call and cancel my reservation due to closure of the resort. A few months later, they began calling to offer a new reservation times starting summer of 2018. I have repeatedly told them I would not go back to stay on a destroyed island, despite the vacation club property being open. This week I received two calls to book my stay. I have asked for a refund and have been told both it is nonrefundable and also a bit they are finished giving refunds. No one will give me the names or contact info for management of this program. My contract expires December 2018. We will not spend time and money to go back to the devestated St. Thomas.
    I think Marriott vacation club should acknowledge that this natural disaster is beyond everyone’s control and they should make an exception and refund my money.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Where is the paperwork you signed? Isn’t there contact information on the paperwork?

We have contacts for Marriott but not that vacation club. You might want to contact Marriott and see if they can get you contacts for the Vacation club.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/marriott/

jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I am having trouble grasping exactly what you bought for $1200:

"purchased the encore package for $1195 which would allow us to return to that location and see the same sales woman for reconsideration of purchase."

What does your contract state about cancellation of this package?

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

And I am not certain why the return can't wait until things are more settled on the island. Was there a time frame you needed to book the stay by?

5. George M

I assume you've tried all the contacts on the Marriott Vacation Club website:
    http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/general-information/contact-us.shtml

If not, try the email addresses and phone numbers. If that gets you nowhere, find out if there's a MVC location near you and either call them directly or go there in person. Don't be confrontational but firmly ask what your options may be and find out exactly what you purchased.

There's also a place on their site where owners can login and check their accounts. You can register and then login: https://owners.marriottvacationclub.com/timeshare/mvco/owner/login

jsn55, Neil and VoR61 like this.
  6. Susan Y

The package was for 4 nights in a 2 bedroom villa at Marriott’ Frenchman’s Cove,

7. Susan Y

We have to travel by 12/6/2018.

8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

So you have plenty of time to wait until more is opened up in the area. The country is not going to be in this condition forever and you didn't buy a voucher for the country - you bought a voucher for this one resort.

Unfortunately you bought a noncancellable trip and the hotel is opened - even if you obtained an attorney I am not sure you would win if they can provide you with what you paid for. The resort is not responsible for the rest of the island - they are responsible for providing you with a 2 bedroom stay. What that needs to mean is that the resort is not still housing emergency workers, all restaurants are open, and its fully staffed. These islands NEED tourists to come back but I would not go unless the resort was fully functional. If it is not fully functional by November - then you should fight with them but now - its too soon.

If the resort is running NORMALLY - and by that it means they are fully up and running - I don't think you have a case to try to wiggle out of this. And you have plenty of time to give it more of a chance to ensure the stay will be what they are responsible to provide.

jsn55, VoR61 and krisseye like this.
  9. Susan Y

In addition to a four night stay at the Frenchmans Cove, the cost of the contract, $1195, could be credited to the purchase price of 250 additional vacation club interests if purchased on or before 12/6/2017. The contract required attendance at a 90 minute sales presentation. The same sale price offered At our first meeting would be available until that date
    The contract could have be cancelled within 10 days of signature.

10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

So you are saying that you did not have the opportunity to purchase the additional club interests because you were not able to get to a presentation before 12/6/17?

Then that is what you should be asking - you should ask if you can buy the additional interests because you were not able to stay at the resort by 12/6 due to the hurricane.

You are asking for two different things.

VoR61 likes this.