Marriott Rewards expiration of points

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2017
I had accumulated more then 300,000 Marriott points over the course of more then 20 years, before Marriott and Starwood merged. At one point I also had more then 300,000 Starwood points. I used most of my Starwood points, choosing to use them rather then Marriott points due to the required number of points per stay. The last time I checked, around October 2017, I was told my points expired ( more then 2 years ) and I could no longer use them, because there had been no activity on my account for more then two years. I was told I had been advised, but I don’t recall ever receiving notice, via mail or email.I don’t think this is fair, especially since I don’t believe they made a sincere and reasonable attempt to advise me. Can they really do this? Since I haven’t seen anything in the news or newspapers, it hasn’t received much publicity. I suspect many, like me, are unaware. This is significant and obviously done to reduce their liability, by hurting loyal customers. I am so disappointed, though not entirely surprised.

Is there anything that can be done? I don’t know where to begin. The Marriott customer service agents were no help at all.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We’ve had asked his come up before but we don’t handle problems with points programs.

These programs are for frequent users. If you haven’t stayed with them in over 2 years- you aren’t a frequent user. Most point programs have the same 2 year limit and there are other ways to keep your account active, such as getting their credit card and using it.

We have company contacts on top of our pages. You can try writing to Marriott. But it’s not something we handle here.

Apr 3, 2016
Reality is almost every point program now expires points for non-use (hotel, airline, etc). The time limit is usually between 18 to 24 months with some being as low as 12. Every account I have says exactly when they expire when I log into the account. if you have points on any other program that you want to keep, log into your account and check for expiration dates. Almost all programs count shopping as activity. Usually < 1000 points allows you to buy something small (a magazine subscription) and reset the expiration date for your points.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry, Jay, that's a ton of points to lose. I wish we could take out full-page ads in every newspaper to remind people that they cannot win with loyalty programs unless they read all the fine print and set up a system to operate within the rules of the program.

The reason we don't deal with loyalty programs here is that a huge number of members don't understand that the programs reward loyal customers. No loyalty program cares about someone who doesn't use their products often ... and two years is a long time. I think they're quite patient right now ... but I predict that the 'grace period' will start to be shortened by all of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see six months as the new standard.