1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Married Name change

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Ross Goodman, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Ross Goodman

First time here, truly don't know what to do. My wife and I are book for our honeymoon to leave in May. When I book on United my wife's name was clearly different. When I called the airline to change her name on the rez they told me that is wasn't an option. That I would need to bring our marriage certificate to the flight. I have no problem with this, I called both partner airlines to make sure that this was the correct solution. I was told that my wife would not be allowed on the flight due to her new id/passport not matching the ticket. Can someone please help me. I don't even know what the next steps are?!?!?!!?

Thanks in advance

2. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Where are you travelling to and on which airline? From a quick search on line I found that many US airlines will change the name for no fee due to a legal name change. (United being one of them) Note that a legal name change is different then making a mistake and needing to correct a name or change the name of a traveller because someone else is travelling. For them to tell you that they couldn't change the name on a ticket, well they just plain didn't know what they were talking about.

If there are several airlines involved in different countries then it will be completely different.

3. Ross Goodman

Ok, clearly I have to make things complicated haha. I am from MIA - FCO(Rome) and back. Going there I am on TAP Portugal and way back I am on Swiss. All of that being said I booked everything using United and their points. Her name legally changed and I have all paper work to support this.

4. honestpointofview

Hi Ross

Well not sure who's policy will apply (ie if you book United is if their's or Swiss/Tap) but;

Tap's allows a name change (link below)
    5.2 Name Correction
    d) Change of surname due to marriage or divorce – pax should present document with new name
    Whenever a name correction is made, the original ticket must be reissued with a penalty of EUR25.00 charged as DU tax (Canada CAD30.00, USA USD30.00)

"https://wws.flytap.com/prjdir/bofly...Responsible_Booking_Policies_EN_nov16.pdf?12w

For swiss air i found their booking and ticketing polices; in fact i found three versions sadly none are dated. However the one i have provided the link to below states;

2.3.2 Name Corrections Name corrections (up to 2 letters) are only permitted if the customer’s name has been misspelled. It is also allowed to correct names based on legal documents (e.g. in case of marriage or divorce). Name corrections are subject to an administrative fee.

https://www.swiss.com/CMSContent/corporate/agentnews/Documents/misc/160518_SWISS

Booking_Ticketing_Policy_All Markets_JUN16.pdf

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Mike Z likes this.
  5. honestpointofview

P.s has your wife (and congrat's) changed the name of her passport yet? if not you might want to check with the airline first. I am told that changing name's on partner airlines is not quite as straightforward.

6. Ross Goodman

Everything has been changed. Global Entry/Passport/DL even our cruise is changed. This might be the only thing left in the world with her old name on it. I am on the phone with united right now. Hopefully I can get this all worked out and will post a resolution to help others. This is 100 percent wild! I hate airlines sometimes. Rules for no reason.

7. honestpointofview

8. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

For Honeymoons directly after the wedding Newly married woman travel under their maiden name because all their ID (drivers license, passport, etc) is not in married name.

So book under maiden name, which matches the ID

9. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Except he says that she already has a new ID and passport. Plus, some destinations like Hawaii may get booked almost a year out so there would be a name change by then.

jsn55 likes this.
  10. honestpointofview

Hi Mike - Yes; let's hope it can be worked out.

11. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

To bad they didn't speak with a TA first. Cruiselines fixable, airlines, especially foreign ones not so much :(

This is a big big bummer!

Neil and honestpointofview like this.
  12. Ross Goodman

Update: Got a great guy on the phone who changed the first flight for me....line dropped. Back on phone now new girl is telling me all types of crazy. I am escalating to a supervisor.

13. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Sorry, but you made my day and got me LOLing pretty good. Whatever happens, I would immediately go on line and check to make sure they didn't cancel your flights or break up the reservation during their change attempts.

honestpointofview likes this.
  14. Ross Goodman

Did that....all good on the TAP side of things....crazy lady is now trying to tell me I need to pay....I told her to please get me on the phone with someone who can make something happen. I have now been on hold for 45 min.

15. honestpointofview

Which one are they saying you have to pay for? Swiss??

16. Ross Goodman

They are saying it can't be done for swiss. They also said they added a note to the account. I said that truly does me no good as I am going to be in a another country and I need assurance that this won't be a problem....HOW IS THIS SO HARD.

17. honestpointofview

Well the swiss booking and ticket polices document clearly states they can. I would suggest a polite letter stating the issue that you have tried to resolve it on the phone but been told that it is not possible. Include a copy of the relevant page to the ticketing policy. The one i have provided the link for applies to all tickets booked after June 2016.

https://www.swiss.com/CMSContent/corporate/agentnews/Documents/misc/160518_SWISS

%20Booking_Ticketing_Policy_All%20Markets_JUN16.pdf

(p.s sorry for splitting the link up but if i do not it does not work properly when you try to click on it. You just need to join the two parts together in your browser)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  18. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You should have left everything in her maiden name until you traveled. They may charge you a fee for the correction.

Booking & Ticketing Policy
    For GDS Travel Agents
    If a change is needed, the original PNR must be cancelled and a new PNR must be created, however the booking
    class must be available. The old ticket must be refunded according to fare rules and a new ticket must be
    issued as
    per the actual applicable fare.
    The name change restrictions do not apply for Group PNRs; kindly contact your SWISS group representation for the
    process to be applied.
    Name Corrections
    Name corrections (up to 2 letters) are only permitted if the
    customer’s name has been misspelled.
    It is also allowed to correct names based on legal documents (e.g. in case of marriage or divorce). Name
    corrections are subject to an administrative fee.
    In case of name corrections for already issued tickets, contact
    your SWISS representation for the process to be
    applied.
    Non
    -
    compliance will result in ADM issuance

19. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Oh what a mess. And you thought you were taking care of everything efficiently. These kinds of details on airplanes and cruise ships have been an issue since 9/11. Personally, I think the airlines made up the fee schedules as a punishment. While it's possible to manage this trip with extra documents and proof of name change, I wouldn't take the chance travelling internationally. Her tix has to be in her legal name. I'm glad you booked on United, at least you have English-speaking people to communicate with.

And I wouldn't believe anyone on the phone. "I'll put a note in your file" is the oldest line there is in airline speak, Just curious here ... I'm assuming this is a belated honeymoon, otherwise, how could she have changed her name before the wedding? You were on hold three hours ago ... I'm hoping for good news.

20. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

The last mess I saw like this ended up have to rebook their Air completely because the flights were on 3 Code Shares and booked thru Expedia. It was a mess and Agents ALL along the way lied about notes in the file. They got denied at the airport at check in.

jsn55, Neil and honestpointofview like this.