Luggage delay of 12 days. Contact info for Luthansa?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Judy none of that matters, whoever YOU fly your last leg with is responsible. It does not matter if they never had or touched that bag. It's just how the system works.
Well, if Lufthansa never saw the bag, how can they be responsible for it? Or do you mean that they have to go looking for it no matter what, because it's presumed that it's in Frankfurt somewhere, right? But what bar code is on the bag tag? Does Lufthansa have access to UA's system? As long as she got the bag eventually, these are moot points ... but if my bag were truly 'lost' I think I'd want to figure out where and who may have lost it. You can tell I haven't had a lost bag in 15 years!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The bag is connected to the PNR and is in the system. It is always the responsibility of the final leg on THAT Locator Code to work with the system and retrieve the bag for the client. I'm guessing that makes the system fair and it works in the long run. This way there is no guessing as to who to work with.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I just cannot bring myself to check luggage at all. For one, I don't want to lug a bunch of stuff around, and two, I would be really ticked off if my bag got lost temporarily or permanently. We tend to travel casually so no need for ball gowns and other such hoopla that take up a ton of space :D

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I just cannot bring myself to check luggage at all. For one, I don't want to lug a bunch of stuff around, and two, I would be really ticked off if my bag got lost temporarily or permanently. We tend to travel casually so no need for ball gowns and other such hoopla that take up a ton of space :D
Ahhh my hero!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The bag is connected to the PNR and is in the system. It is always the responsibility of the final leg on THAT Locator Code to work with the system and retrieve the bag for the client. I'm guessing that makes the system fair and it works in the long run. This way there is no guessing as to who to work with.
As I looked at this thread again just now, I realized that I literally had no idea how the lost bag system currently works. Duh, I guess it's all computerized and bar coded and super-dooper. When my bag was 'lost' in Amsterdam or Roma because all the tags ripped off the outside, someone opened it, saw my itinerary, and sent it on to my hotel. I've been forever grateful.

Oct 28, 2015
Why is this a LH baggage problem? Who did the bad job at the airport?
Airlines do not tag a bag to a cruise line do they?
Jesuit education creates inquiring minds - not judgmental minds.
FYI: the last airline on the itinerary is fully responsible for the delivery of the bag.
Whoever screws it up after the passenger left the airport is still that airlines responsibility.
Of course the airlines tag the bags to a cruise lines, trains, and others - you just do not know about it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Long ago someone advised me to check the luggage tag as the agent was putting them on the bags to make sure that they were tagged to the correct airport. I have out that into practice and so far have been lucky and had a delayed bag only once in more than 40 years of flying and never a lost one.

I think I've been incredibly lucky.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
[QUOTE="Little me, post: 40727, member: 1907"Of course the airlines tag the bags to a cruise lines, trains, and others - you just do not know about it.[/QUOTE]

I knew about it. It was I who put the tags on my bags before I handed them over to the airline.
Holland America sent the tags in the mail along with massive amounts of other information.

May 17, 2016
As I looked at this thread again just now, I realized that I literally had no idea how the lost bag system currently works. Duh, I guess it's all computerized and bar coded and super-dooper. When my bag was 'lost' in Amsterdam or Roma because all the tags ripped off the outside, someone opened it, saw my itinerary, and sent it on to my hotel. I've been forever grateful.
Always a good idea to have ID and contact info, as well as itinerary, easily found in the bag, like in the front pocket.