1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Luggage delay of 12 days. Contact info for Luthansa?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)' started by Linda N, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Linda N

I enjoy reading your daily blogs and hoped never to need your help! I just returned from a 13 day European vacation and cruise. Do you have any contacts for Luthansa Airline? My bag was lost/delayed by the airlines. The originating flight was United, and tickets fees were paid to United. We connected in Frankfort to Venice via Luthansa. My bag was missing at Venice Marco Polo Airport. We filed a claim. I called 2-3 the airport missing bag info line times a day while in Venice. The automated system was not helpful and no one answered the phones. I began to replace some clothes and toiletries and have receipts. We left on a cruise July 15. Royal Caribbean helped contact the airlines and I was to receive my bag in Satorini. It was Mis- labeled by the handler at the airport or in transit and wound up on the Norwegian Jade instead of RCL's Vision of the Seas. Finally after another 4 days Norwegian Jade contacted me directly and the transfer of my bag was made as I left the cruise ship on July 24. In total my bag was "at large" for 12 days. I think the cruise line did what it could. I was lucky, I was traveling with a family group and borrowed some clothing and got by with only about €580 in puchases. Sounds like a lot but it adds up fast, especially toiletries and underwear when you are no where near discount shopping and relying on what's stocked by a cruise line that is hoping you will spend on luxury items when you need basics. Am I right in believing it is Luthansa I need to direct my complaint and claims to? Should I be contacting United since they were the carrier I bought the tickets through? Thanks for your advice and assistance!

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If you go to the top of the page you will see a tab that says "Company Contacts". Lufthansa is listed under airlines.

3. Flywisely

Why is this a LH baggage problem? Who did the bad job at the airport?
    Airlines do not tag a bag to a cruise line do they?

4. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@Flywisely the LW is now needing to file a claim for her out of pocket expenses. Yes she got her bags back after 12 days and a miss delivery to the wrong ship. But she would normally be entitled to some reimbursement for items needed to survive after luggage is delayed for a very long time and IMO 12 days is 11 days too many!

jsn55 and Neil like this.
  5. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    jsn55 likes this.
  6. Flywisely

So are you saying the bags did not get to VCE with them in the first place.
    And then when the airline tried to deliver it they did to the wrong ship.
    It was not clear to me.

JVillegirl541 likes this.
  7. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

That is how I read it.

jsn55 likes this.
  8. Flywisely

Then LH should be compensated for delayed luggage. Just send them a reasonable amount with copies of receipts as a claim.

Tanya likes this.
  9. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Yes that is exactly what happened:(

Tanya likes this.
  10. mmb

mmb

Actually she said she connected in Frankfurt to Venice via Luthsansa.
    She then said it was missing in Venice.
    She didn't say she saw it or had it in Frankfurt.
    It isn't clear where it went missing.
    Seems like someone needs to determine who first lost it and they would be liable for reimbursing her. Could be United.

On another issue -- cruise lines did used to give you tags to put on your luggage that auto-transferred your bags to the cruise ship.
    For our Alaska cruise, we flew RSW>SEA>YVR. In Vancouver, after going through customs, the cruise line put us on a bus and took us to the ship and our stuff was all there. No hassles at all. This was Sep 2004. Best cruise ever on Holland America.
    We didn't know any better and flew in the day of sailing. Had almost no time to dawdle anywhere. We were lucky with no delays/mishaps of any kind. Didn't have any insurance.
    Our son lived in Seattle at the time and he was originally going to drive us up to Vancouver but he was in the Navy and he ended up out on a submarine at the time.

jsn55 likes this.
  11. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Does not matter who lost the bags, the airline that flew her on the last leg is responsible. That's just how the airlines handle missing bags.

Neil likes this.
  12. Barry Jacobs

I have same problem my bag was left off plane in Toronto. I was fighting from Cleveland,via Toronto a nd Frankfort to Berlin.spent hours on phone and went to Berlin airport twice.
    I have sent emails to Air Canada and Lufthansa contacts on your web site
    Now what should I do????

13. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I'm reading that they spent a few days in Venice before getting on the cruise. When we drive to the port I don't put my bag tags on till I take them out of the car. I can see why, if you are spending a few days in Venice prior to your cruise, you wouldn't put your cruise bag tags on, you don't want them to go missing, get damaged, etc.

jsn55 and Nancy like this.
  14. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Who did you fly your final leg on? Lufhansia? Did you file a claim per the guidelines on their website? And what date did you fly, date claim filed?

15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Have you followed our precise directions to write to customer service, give them a week to reply, then write to first executive, give him/her a week to reply and repeat weekly with each executive until you get to the top of the list?

16. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

IMAGINE, the good old days before you got involved with this forum and realized how LUCKY you were! The travelling life was so simple then.

Neil and Linda N like this.
  17. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Best to create a new post, Barry ... you'll get more responses from our advocates.

Patina likes this.
  18. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

And so was renting a car! ;)

jsn55 likes this.
  19. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

My concern about who to file with involves the question of who was responsible for putting the bags on the flight to Venice. Were they checked through from your home airport by United? Or did you pick them up in Frankfurt and re-check them with Lufthansa?

20. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Judy none of that matters, whoever YOU fly your last leg with is responsible. It does not matter if they never had or touched that bag. It's just how the system works.