Ludus Tours/Red Carpet Entertainment

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 5, 2015
Hi all! I need help/advice:

I purchased multiple team "rights" through Ludus Tours operating as Red Carpet Experiences over the past six months.

The way it works is you pick a team, pay for the right to "own" that team for the Super Bowl, and if they made it, you paid Ludus anywhere from $800-1700 per right and in return received face value tickets to Super Bowl 49.

The price of the right depended on where you wanted to sit and how good or bad your team was. At the end of the regular season the Atlanta Falcons were going for $30 per right while the Patriots were going for $700 per right. It is understood that you do not get his money back. If your team went, your credit card was charged. If they didn't, you were out of luck.

I purchased over $1500 worth of rights to multiple teams over the course of the year, not including the Patriots or Seahawks. I had rights to the Packers so needless to say I was clearly upset, but so be it. I also understood that sales were final with no refunds.

The Friday before Super Bowl the company came out with a statement saying they were unable to fulfill their ticket requirement to those who had rights to the teams in the Super Bowl and offered 20% on top of what these people paid for their face value ticket. Understand that most people expecting tickets spent quite a bit of money on flights, hotels, car rental, etc. only to find out their whole trip was for nothing.

ESPN covered the situation in the following article:

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12255886&src=desktop

My question is even though I wasn't part of the winning group, this company never came through to those who won. Basically, Ludus told everyone they had tickets to the SB when they didn't, in essence taking everyone's money (winners and losers) and not fulfilling the agreement to those who were entitled.

If you buy a ticket to a raffle, someone else wins the raffle but the company says they can't get the prize and won't be able to, aren't you entitled to the money you spent on something that seems to be fraudulent?

Do I have a credit card or legal dispute here? Does anyone see where I am coming from, even a bit?

Much appreciation in taking the time to read this!

Jan 8, 2015
Wow, that is an odd situation. I think two things can happen here. The company should give the winners the amount equal to what tickets would have cost to the game. I believe that would mean somewhere between $5k and $10 per ticket or more. Either that, or refund the amounts for everyone as you suggested because they were unable to fulfill their obligations.

Though what will most likely happen is that you all will still lose your money, the winners get nothing but an apology, and the company will "go out of business" and start operation as a new entity next year.

Jan 8, 2015
I'm not sure any of us here have enough legal background in the state where the business operated to say for sure. When they were signing people up, did they send you an email outlining the terms of the contest? Or is one available on the website? You will need to read through this to see what the remedy may be before making contact with the small claims or the state attorney general office. No sense is spending a ton of time arguing over something that you may have agreed to when you signed up for the contest.

I hope others chime in with their opinions.

Feb 5, 2015
I just thought at the very least it was a credit card dispute. But since I didnt "own" either SB team I wondered if it even mattered. But since they never came through for anyone...

Jan 8, 2015
I went to the Ludus site and looked at their basic contract language. In the language it said that if Ludus has to cancel then everyone gets a refund.

Cancellation by LUDUS: Ludus Group reserves the right to cancel any package or extension in this program, in which case all monies received by Ludus from program participants shall be refunded in full within 30 days. Ludus Group’ liability is limited to refunds of payments received.
I am not sure what language they may have used, but if the program was specifically for the tickets, and no tickets could be delivered, then one could assume that they cancelled their agreement and would have to refund the monies. The big sticking point here would be, what are the terms of the specific ticket program they offered you? Hopefully you will be able to look back through your emails as the super bowl page has already been removed from the site.

BTW, personally I would never do business with this company. In their contract they state that they may use your photos or likeness for advertising purposes. Being an amateur photographer, I know to look for this language and would steer very clear.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
I just thought at the very least it was a credit card dispute. But since I didnt "own" either SB team I wondered if it even mattered. But since they never came through for anyone...
Dear Efren,

You ask a couple of times whether to file a dispute with your credit card company. Why not? It costs nothing to file, and what's the worst they can say? "No"? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And why not file a complaint with your state's attorney general? You can probably file online... and again, what's the worst that can happen? They decline to investigate your case?

Filing a small claims action, on the other hand, would give me pause because you have to pay for that. Still, though, if you strike out with your credit card company and state AG, but feel strongly enough to spend a few bucks, go for it. You might lose, but you might win... either based on the merits of your case, or because Ludus/Red Carpet doesn't bother to show up.

Just keep in mind... if you win, it's up to you to collect the judgment, and that can be a bear; especially if you're in one state and they're in another.

Good luck!

Grant

Jan 8, 2015
Agree with much of the above. However, I would strongly suggest a thorough reading of the actual terms and conditions of the package in question. This is what the credit card company, the state attorney general, and even a small claims judge will want proof of before siding with the OP. The OP will also need proof of what was reported in the ESPN news story. ie, that the tour operator did not deliver tickets.

Some leg work to be sure, but for $1,500 I might be inclined to give it a shot.

By the way, was Ludus ever contacted? It may be easier to just start there with an explanation of why a refund should be issued. They may actually be processing refunds already in order to save their business reputation.

Feb 5, 2015
I am very grateful for this site and everyone's support and insight.

$1849 worth of disputes have been filed between two credit cards. While they said everything would be refunded to "program participants" within 30 days owner Brian Peters wrote in his email to those who were expecting tickets: "For what it is worth, I will not have a functioning business once the dust settles from this event."

Had to get the ball rolling before he did. Complaint will be filed with the Arizona Attorney General's Office as well, thanks to the great advice given on this site.

Again, your support and advice has been greatly appreciated. I will keep you informed.

Feb 5, 2015
Ludus Tours which last year operated as Red Carpet Entertainment has now changed their name again to Bucket List Events (mybucketlistevents.com). According to their site "All tour packages are honored and continuing with no interruption."

Refund information remains the same as it did before under their previous terms and conditions:

LUDUS GROUP uses personal information you provide online to contact you. Furthermore, LUDUS GROUP may share this information with Third Cancellation by LUDUS: Ludus Group reserves the right to cancel any package or extension in this program, in which case all monies received by Ludus from program participants shall be refunded in full within 30 days. Ludus Group’ liability is limited to refunds

Just another name change, FYI.

Feb 5, 2015
Hi all!

Capital One has applied all charges back to my card after Ludus sent their documentation. I was under the impression they would receive my documents then make their decision. They said once they receive my response the charges would be reversed again.

Bank of America credits, gets all documents, then makes it's decision. Just not used to this type of dispute.

I have contacted those who were named in the ESPN article to no avail. Fully ready to fly to Austin to file suit if this is not settled.

As always, your advice has been such a driving force in this. I am more than appreciative of all your help.

Jan 8, 2015
Is it possible to reach out to people on Yelp? They are obviously critical of the company and may be a more willing partner. Chances are the agreement that the people signed who were in the ESPN article may be preventing them from commenting on the issue.

Also, in this instance I may be inclined to get the attorney general from the state where the company does business. This program may be seen as gambling under state law, and potentially illegal. They will also have some leverage and be able to tell you if you are legally entitled to a refund under state law, and according to the contract. The fact that your team was not one of the superbowl participants should have no bearing on the matter because of the wording in their terms. However, you will still most likely need someone who didn't get the tickets to prove your case.

ps, the credit card company forward you the response from Ludus? I would want to see what they sent back to see what their position is.

Feb 5, 2015
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi all!

Ludus has responded to my dispute with the argument that I understood no refunds would be given if my team didn't make the Super Bowl. I am responding with their terms and conditions that since they didn't come through with the tickets, they in essence canceled the package/extension of the program, therefore refunding all program participants their money.

Had they said they would refund "winning participants" or "qualified participants" their money I probably wouldn't have a case, but their T&C say ALL monies will be refunded to program participants. I feel I am a participant.

Contacted someone on Yelp who sent me the release form preventing any lawsuit in return for 120% of their money.

Talked to a lawyer yesterday who said I definitely have a case. I plan on going to Austin if the dispute is not ruled in my favor to sue in small claims court. If I can get a judgment, it may help hundreds of others scammed by this company. It may cost me more than my $2000, but it might be worth it to others.

Your feedback is always appreciated!

Below is the letter sent to those who were supposed to receive SB tickets:

Dear Super Bowl Option Winner

I have bad news to report from Scottsdale. I do not believe that my suppliers are delivering tickets to me. Certainly, I do not have them in hand as expected today.

I am sincerely sorry for this situation. For what it is worth, I will not have a functioning business once the dust settles from this event. I assure you that I am not profiting from this circumstance, and that I will do everything in my power to resolve it for you.

I will not NOT be onsite at the Holiday Inn as previously scheduled.

With that said, here is what I can offer you at this moment:

I can refund your credit card the full amount you have into the seats (option cost plus face value) plus an additional 20%. This is the amount dictated in the Terms & Conditions of the Ludus Super Bowl marketplace.

or

For those of you that truly just want to go to the game, I will do my best to procure your seats before game time on Sunday. I cannot guarantee that it will be possible, but I will do my best to get you in the game. I will procure a pickup location closer to the stadium to make this more convenient.

Please let me know which option you want to pursue. I know neither option is ideal, but there are simply not many viable options. I can either refund your money for as long as I have it available, or I can try to deliver your seats on Sunday.

Please respond via email, as my phone is overwhelmed right now.

Brian Peters

There are multiple ticket companies that owe clients thousands of tickets at this moment. Many of them are waiting until Sunday to give clients the bad news.

Based on the sheer volume of companies still owing tickets, I do not believe sufficient seats will ever become available. I want to be proactive and avoid any further delays in sharing the information. I want to give everyone time to make alternate plans for watching the game. At a minimum, I want to refund your money as soon as possible so they you may pursue other avenues.

As per the terms and conditions of the user agreement, I will be refunding you 120% of your cost into the winning options and face values.

I do not have your credit card numbers stored. I will need your credit card numbers to process the refund. I am attaching a document for you to return with the card numbers. As soon as I receive your authorization, I will immediately process your credit.

On a very personal level, I am deeply sorry for this circumstance.

Respectfully

Brian Peters