Lost luggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 9, 2017
We were on a 10 day tour . 2 and 1/2 days in NY and 7 days on a cruise. Our baggage never left Msp. It was not found until 3 days before we came home. I understand that Delta will pay $50.00 a day to replace items needed.On the cruise we could not buy or even get the needed items. I was able to pick up a few things but not near the $50.00 a day. My question is am I eligible to get the $50.00 a day for our inconvenience or is that ONLY if I had spent that money? We wore the same pants for 6 days. Missed excursions, Had to wash by hand under clothes, among other things. Should I try to get the $5000 a day or ar we out of luck because we did not spend it on the cruise? Yes we did take Ins. with the travel agent.
Thank you very much
Mary Peach

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We were on a 10 day tour . 2 and 1/2 days in NY and 7 days on a cruise. Our baggage never left Msp. It was not found until 3 days before we came home. I understand that Delta will pay $50.00 a day to replace items needed.On the cruise we could not buy or even get the needed items. I was able to pick up a few things but not near the $50.00 a day. My question is am I eligible to get the $50.00 a day for our inconvenience or is that ONLY if I had spent that money? We wore the same pants for 6 days. Missed excursions, Had to wash by hand under clothes, among other things. Should I try to get the $5000 a day or ar we out of luck because we did not spend it on the cruise? Yes we did take Ins. with the travel agent.
Thank you very much
Mary Peach
Glad you had travel insurance, that will pick up some of what the airline doesn't BUT- you need receipts.

So the luggage was never delivered to you on the cruise at all? How did you get it when you got home?

I think you need to take all your receipts and file a claim with the airline for the lost luggage. You can't get reimbursed for what you didn't spend, you will have to show receipts.

You should have been allowed to cancel your excursions for a full refund on the ship due to the circumstances.

I feel terrible for you- I know how inconvenient it is to be in an entire cruise with no luggage

Expense Reimbursement
Delta requires that receipts be presented for all reasonable expense reimbursements incurred due to the delay of your bag(s). Reasonable expenses generally are $50 per day for the first 5 days the bag is delayed. The guidelines for reasonable expenses are NOT daily limits or a cap and additional expenses may be incurred and should be handled on an individual basis up to the limit of liability. Any disbursements will be deducted from the final settlement if the bag is not located.

If your bag is still missing, you must submit the baggage claim formintroduced above. Once you have entered your first name, last name and file reference number, choose the "Out of Pocket Expense" option on the form. The "Out of Pocket Expense" form is only for the reimbursement of incidental expenses incurred while your bag was delayed. Please upload your receipts at time of submission for consideration of reimbursement.

Oct 9, 2017
Glad you had travel insurance, that will pick up some of what the airline doesn't BUT- you need receipts.

So the luggage was never delivered to you on the cruise at all? How did you get it when you got home?

I think you need to take all your receipts and file a claim with the airline for the lost luggage. You can't get reimbursed for what you didn't spend, you will have to show receipts.

You should have been allowed to cancel your excursions for a full refund on the ship due to the circumstances.

I feel terrible for you- I know how inconvenient it is to be in an entire cruise with no luggage

Expense Reimbursement
Delta requires that receipts be presented for all reasonable expense reimbursements incurred due to the delay of your bag(s). Reasonable expenses generally are $50 per day for the first 5 days the bag is delayed. The guidelines for reasonable expenses are NOT daily limits or a cap and additional expenses may be incurred and should be handled on an individual basis up to the limit of liability. Any disbursements will be deducted from the final settlement if the bag is not located.

If your bag is still missing, you must submit the baggage claim formintroduced above. Once you have entered your first name, last name and file reference number, choose the "Out of Pocket Expense" option on the form. The "Out of Pocket Expense" form is only for the reimbursement of incidental expenses incurred while your bag was delayed. Please upload your receipts at time of submission for consideration of reimbursement.

Oct 9, 2017
Thank you, Guess I should have spent more. I did save and submit receipts. But could not find any place to get my $25.00 I paid to ship my luggage which they never did. It was finally found 3 days before we were to return so it was just held at the airport. and we were able to pick it up upon arriving home. Thank you for your help.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Awful, Mary. But surely you could have bought some clothes in NYC or on the ship? Didn't the ship stop in some ports so you could have dashed out for an hour to get some clean clothes? Nobody is going to compensate anyone without receipts. I'm sorry you were so frugal.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you, Guess I should have spent more. I did save and submit receipts. But could not find any place to get my $25.00 I paid to ship my luggage which they never did. It was finally found 3 days before we were to return so it was just held at the airport. and we were able to pick it up upon arriving home. Thank you for your help.
You have to complete the form on the Delta website. Didn't you make a claim at the airport when you arrived in NYC and the luggage wasn't there? They would have given you a claim form to complete do they could track the bag. I am surprised that if you were in NY 2 days before the ship sailed they didn't have the bag delivered to your hotel.

There is a link in red in my post above- that will take you to the claim form. You'll need the claim number Delta gave you at the airport when you reported the bag missing.

For the future- if you are traveling with another person, you should always pack a change of clothes in their bag and they should pack a change of clothes in yours. This way if a bag gets lost, neither of you would be totally without clothes.

Jsn made a good point- the biggest Macy's in the works is in NYC- you could have bought a few items to hold you over there.