Lost luggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 24, 2016
Hello my name is Jung Hyuck Choi.

A week ago i was on a flight with Allegiant Airlines from Bellingham to LAX.

When I arrived at the airport my luggage was missing and, naturally, I went to the Allegiant counters

at LAX to report my lost luggage. The representative apologized and told me that they would get back to me

once they found my luggage. I waited and waited. After two days I get frustrated and call the Allegiant airlines

lost luggage number. No one picks up and I send them an email explaining my situation and that I need to

know the status of my luggage and what measures Allegiant is taking to help me find my luggage. I get no

reply and then call their customer service number. They give me a very general response that gets me

nowhere, I hang up, and now I'm writing this thread. It's been a week now and I still have no idea where my

luggage is.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Hello my name is Jung Hyuck Choi.

A week ago i was on a flight with Allegiant Airlines from Bellingham to LAX.

When I arrived at the airport my luggage was missing and, naturally, I went to the Allegiant counters

at LAX to report my lost luggage. The representative apologized and told me that they would get back to me

once they found my luggage. I waited and waited. After two days I get frustrated and call the Allegiant airlines

lost luggage number. No one picks up and I send them an email explaining my situation and that I need to

know the status of my luggage and what measures Allegiant is taking to help me find my luggage. I get no

reply and then call their customer service number. They give me a very general response that gets me

nowhere, I hang up, and now I'm writing this thread. It's been a week now and I still have no idea where my

luggage is.
@Jung Hyuck Choi - I can sympathize with how you feel, having missing luggage and getting no satisfaction from Allegiant. I think others will chime in here with the opinion that Allegiant is not known for their stellar customer service.

I suggest you use our Company Contacts to get in touch with someone at Allegiant who may be able to assist you:

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/allegiant/

I'd suggest not using the phone any longer, and starting to use their email contacts. The first level shown is the Customer Care email. Next is the Director of Customer Care, who's the first executive contact shown.

We've learned that short, polite letters seem to get the best response. And be sure to include the details (passenger name, ticket #, flight info, date, and luggage tag number).

Keep a copy of your email for your own files, and if you've not heard back from them in one week, escalate to the next executive contact, and continue up the ladder if you need to (and I sure hope you do not need to).

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Apr 24, 2016
Hello thank you so much for the reply. I just sent an email to the officer. I kept it brief and did my best to sound polite. I will update once I get a reply. Thank you

Apr 24, 2016
Hello I woke up today and received an email from Allegiant Airlines.

The email had an attachment to it - form C134. Here is the content of the email.

Dear Valued Customer,

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you have been caused by the mishandling of your property.

To assist us with your claim, please complete and return the attached Customer Property form (FormC134.xlsx).

Allegiant Air reserves the right to deny liability if this form, including baggage claim check(s), is not postmarked within 21 days after occurrence of the event giving rise to the claim.

The claim form must be completed in its entirety with a detailed description of each individual item contained within the bag(s) or items which are missing from the baggage. In the processing of your claim all items will be depreciated based on the date of purchase.

If your claim involves more than one piece of baggage, please itemize each bag and it's contents separately. The accuracy of this information enhances our ability to locate your property through our tracing efforts.

Failure to include the following requested information may affect the processing of your claim:

1. Customer copy of the itinerary.

2. Claim form must be signed.

3. Claim form must be notarized (Failure to do so will delay your claim).

4. Item's valued at $100.00 or higher must be substantiated with original purchase receipts or proof of ownership indicating value. Statements from a financial institution will be accepted in lieu of original receipts.

5. Baggage claim checks.

6. Excess value receipt, if excess value has been declared.

7. ALL CLAIMS ARE SUBJECT TO PROOF OF VALUE AND OWNERSHIP.

Allegiant Air is not liable for loss, damage to, or delay in delivery of any perishable property, nor for damage to or caused by fragile articles, liquids, or
perishables, nor for the loss of, damage to, or delay in delivery of medicines, orthotics (surgical supports), money, jewelry, silverware, negotiable papers,
securities, business/personal documents, spirits, books, manuscripts, optics, keys, publications, blueprints, paintings/works of art, sound reproduction
equipment, business samples, artistic items, irreplaceable items, photographs, business equipment, natural fur products, antiques, heirlooms, collectibles,
artifacts, precious metals/stones photographic/audio/video equipment and related items, computer hardware/software and electronic components/equipment,
or any similar valuables contained in checked luggage. Please do not include any of the above items from your claim, as this may hinder our tracing efforts.

It is very important that you retain, for your records, a copy of all documents sent to us. Allegiant Air will make every effort to merit your future business by
handling your claim in an efficient and equitable manner. Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

System Baggage Services
Allegiant Travel
P.O.Box 371477, Las Vegas, NV 89137
System.Baggage@Allegiantair | www.AllegiantAir.com

Does this mean Allegiant Air is now considering my luggage as lost and won't make any efforts to find it anymore? I will be filling out the form and mailing it to Allegiant Air, but I'm confused with their approach towards my luggage at this point now.

Additional Note: I haven't received an email from the director of customer care yet.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
At this point, I would consider it permanently lost and pursue it as such. If they do find your luggage then you can amend your claim but considering the strict time frame they are giving you, I would submit everything they asked for immediately. I would hate for you to have your claim denied over a technicality such as "past the notification period."

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Along with car rental pictures, I'm taking pictures of all the stuff I put into my luggage from now on
I am slightly neurotic(!) but I list all the items that I pack and keep a copy with my wallet/passport. The list is for my carry-on as we never check luggage! I am super particular about my things and would be bummed if I was forced to check and ended up losing it all without any recourse.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I am slightly neurotic(!) but I list all the items that I pack and keep a copy with my wallet/passport. The list is for my carry-on as we never check luggage! I am super particular about my things and would be bummed if I was forced to check and ended up losing it all without any recourse.
@Patina -- I take pics and make notes, but do you keep all of your receipts and would you be able to find them all if your items/luggage did get lost? I have folders with receipts, but, oh, matching them up? What a giant headache. That's why I take the pics. Mine are shown in my closet/shelf/etc which I think would show 'proof of ownership' -- whatever the heck that is. What a nightmare that claim paperwork is.

Last edited:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@Patina -- I take pics and make notes, but do you keep all rmy depicts and would you be able to find them all if your items/luggage did get lost? What a giant headache. That's why I take the pics. Mother are shown in my closet/shelf/etc which I think would show 'proof of ownership' -- whatever the heck that is. What a nighmare that claim paperwork is.
Well..........(here is my slightly neurotic side!).........I do keep all my receipts :) There are two reasons why we don't check luggage: 1) we like the simplicity of grabbing our bags from the overhead and heading out of the airport immediately and 2) so that the airline isn't given a chance to lose it, lessens the headache!

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Jung Hyuck Choi - thanks for sending that.

It appears Allegiant has started the Lost Luggage claim process. I agree that what they're asking for is very detailed, but most/all airlines ask for similar information. They don't want a passenger to merely say "Well, I lost $750 of clothes". They want to know WHAT clothes.

They seem quite clear about what needs to be included, so check off the items on the list as you proceed. DON'T FORGET TO GET IT NOTARIZED. And, as Patina said, be SURE to postmark it within 21 days of the date the luggage went missing. If I'm right, you have less than two weeks to do that.

Also ... and they don't suggest this, but I do ... send it via a trackable method such as USPS Priority Mail. You can add "signature required" for an extra fee, which might be a good idea.

Keep copies of every single thing you send, dates you sent it, etc etc.

Do the best you can to create a complete list of what was in each bag, and try to be descriptive (instead of "woman's blouse" you might want to say "Ruby Rd 3/4 sleeve red & white knit top".

And, don't forget to claim the actual bags themselves (I've forgotten that in the past, so that's why I say it :) )

Re the Director of Customer Care, maybe this form is his reply. Or maybe there just hasn't been sufficient time elapsed for his answer to come to you. Did you write to Customer Care AND the Director? Let's see what a week brings....

Thanks for keeping us posted!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you for your help guys i will make an update if something rises up
Jung, I had written a response to your post but the hotel internet disappeared in the middle and it was lost. My colleagues have covered all the bases except this one:

Put a copy of your itinerary and your ID inside your suitcase and in the top outside pocket. I was reunited once with my bag because someone at Alitalia opened that pocket, looked at my itinerary, and had it delivered to my hotel. All the tags had been ripped off my bag. Put this information on a big piece of paper. Include your hotel's name and phone, your cell, anything you have that will allow some kind soul to get your bags back to you.

Apr 24, 2016
Hello everyone sorry for the last response. The 3 days have been real hectic with Allegiant.

I got a call from Alicia Ames who is the supervisor for baggage resolution. I was able to get in contact with her because I submitted a complaint towards the department of transportation regarding my dissatisfaction with how my baggage was handled. Alicia stated that their department was able to deduce that my baggage was not in Bellingham because they double checked if my baggage was actually checked in and that they sent additional emails towards LAX to receive at status report of the baggage. In my perspective, this meant that the baggage was located in LAX, but here's where things get weird. I remember precisely, from the point of my arrival in LAX, that all baggage from Allegiant was supposed to be retrieved at "Carousel A." While all other passengers were able to retrieve their baggage, I, after 40 minutes of waiting, saw my baggage (the only one I was able to retrieve) come out of "Carousel B."

Baggages from Frontier, Jet Blue, Spirit, and Allegiant airlines came out of Carousel A.

Baggages from Virgin and Jet Blue came out of Carousel B.

I sent this information out to Alicia who told me that they should get an email reply at Thursday which is the day when Allegiant actually flies from Bellinghamg to Los Angeles. Since I wasn't able to get in contact with Alicia, out of frustration, I went to LAX. While Allegiant did fly from Bellingham to Los Angeles, I was not able to see any representatives present at the ticketing counter and at the baggage claim section. I'm beginning to think that there was a mix up with my baggage between Virgin/Jet Blue and Allegiant.

I also notarized the C134 form and sent it to their offices. I checked with customer service to check if they actually received the document, but they unable to confirm since it wasn't their department. I also asked them about Alicia Ames and my baggage status, but they were unable to provide specific status reports because it wasn't from their department.

Sorry for the long read...

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Hello everyone sorry for the last response. The 3 days have been real hectic with Allegiant.

I got a call from Alicia Ames who is the supervisor for baggage resolution. I was able to get in contact with her because I submitted a complaint towards the department of transportation regarding my dissatisfaction with how my baggage was handled. Alicia stated that their department was able to deduce that my baggage was not in Bellingham because they double checked if my baggage was actually checked in and that they sent additional emails towards LAX to receive at status report of the baggage. In my perspective, this meant that the baggage was located in LAX, but here's where things get weird. I remember precisely, from the point of my arrival in LAX, that all baggage from Allegiant was supposed to be retrieved at "Carousel A." While all other passengers were able to retrieve their baggage, I, after 40 minutes of waiting, saw my baggage (the only one I was able to retrieve) come out of "Carousel B."

Baggages from Frontier, Jet Blue, Spirit, and Allegiant airlines came out of Carousel A.

Baggages from Virgin and Jet Blue came out of Carousel B.

I sent this information out to Alicia who told me that they should get an email reply at Thursday which is the day when Allegiant actually flies from Bellinghamg to Los Angeles. Since I wasn't able to get in contact with Alicia, out of frustration, I went to LAX. While Allegiant did fly from Bellingham to Los Angeles, I was not able to see any representatives present at the ticketing counter and at the baggage claim section. I'm beginning to think that there was a mix up with my baggage between Virgin/Jet Blue and Allegiant.

I also notarized the C134 form and sent it to their offices. I checked with customer service to check if they actually received the document, but they unable to confirm since it wasn't their department. I also asked them about Alicia Ames and my baggage status, but they were unable to provide specific status reports because it wasn't from their department.

Sorry for the long read...
Thanks for the update.......hang in there, this will get resolved soon.