Lost luggage by Sheraton Guilin China

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 26, 2017
June 21, 2017 - 1p.m. - 24 pieces of luggage delivered by bus driver to Sheraton Guilin.
8p.m. - our group of 12 arrives. Bellboys do not wait for guests to get their keys nor identify their luggage prior to taking to the room, just tell them luggage is here.
One guest has a missing bag. Asks to see the security film. Film shows bellboy taking 10 large suitcases in a cart. Then after 5-10 minutes, the moment bellboy starts collecting 2nd batch film becomes blurred so no one can identify what they are loading.
Bellboy suggests we go to the police at airport as bag might have been left there.
We go to the airport. Check lost luggage. Go to the police to file a claim.
June 23 - after we check-out and arrive airport to take another flight hotel admits they had received 24 pieces according to log but only delivered 23 pieces.
Tour operator goes back to airport and police show him film of everyone leaving airport with all the 24 bags.
I notify Sheraton Headquarters about the incident they promise to get back to me in 5 days.
11 days later I have to call Sheraton, they then give me a case number but does nothing about it.
5 weeks have passed, hotel refuses to admit they lost the luggage. Sheraton Headquarters takes no action besides acknowledging my emails.
Besides jewelry, guest had important medicine - chronic kidney problem, make up, mark Jacobs original bag, 2 pairs of glasses and 2 pairs of contact lenses, a Samsung Smart Camera with a charger and several other personal items.
Very disappointed and surprised with Sheraton - Starwood attitude. This is a hotel I have been taking hundreds of clients for the past 15 years. Client is very upset.
Have posed 4 questions to hotel and no answer until today
1- why did the security film become blurred only when they were loading the 2nd batch of luggage?
2- if hotel received 24 pieces why did they not count the luggage with the local guide and make sure everyone identified their luggage after receiving their keys and not before?
3- Why only 23 pieces of luggage was delivered instead of 24?
4- Why does hotel continue to deny it was not lost at their property?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have executive company contacts on top of our pages. Start writing one by one to the executives shown. Write to the first, give him a week to reply then move to the next.

Repeat up the chain.

Did the passenger with the lost bag have travel insurance? They might be able to put in a claim.

This is also a good time to remind passengers never to pack medicine, jewelry, electronics and passports in checked bags. ALWAYS keep those with you in a carry on.

Jul 26, 2017
We have executive company contacts on top of our pages. Start writing one by one to the executives shown. Write to the first, give him a week to reply then move to the next.

Repeat up the chain.

Did the passenger with the lost bag have travel insurance? They might be able to put in a claim.

This is also a good time to remind passengers never to pack medicine, jewelry, electronics and passports in checked bags. ALWAYS keep those with you in a carry on.
Thank you Neil. Passenger has 2 travel insurance policies but their reply is only if bag was lost at airport which I find very strange.
this was actually a carry on we left at hotel because we took a train trip out of Guilin.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately you should never leave anything that valuable with anyone - that should have traveled with you in the train.

You have no proof the jewelry was in that bags it's going to be a very hard thing to prove.

We can only suggest you use our company contacts to and start writing.

Nov 14, 2016
Jewelry of about 1800k Safire ring and diamond ear-rings plus camera Samsung smart with charger glasses medicine etc described in claim to police about 3k
That's kind of what I thought.

On the face of it a claim like that looks spurious and is almost automatically dismissed. I'm not arguing whether it is true or not. I'm just saying that it will look like attempted fraud to the hotel and, as such, will be flagged for a far more difficult resolution process. If my car is stolen and I claim a Van Gogh was in the trunk, my insurance company isn't going to just cut me a check.

Since your'e asking for a client, you (and they) are going to face difficulties on a number of fronts. The first is getting the hotel to admit they lost the bag. You say they "admitted" losing the bag but I'm going to assume that wasn't in writing so it's still a hearsay situation. It appears there's really no proof that the bag was ever put in their care. The next issue is that the hotel likely has a written, posted policy that says they're not responsible for the contents of unattended bags left with the bellhops. Then there's the size of the claim. It's very unlikely they're simply going to fork over $3k. Even if they were to admit losing it, they'd demand receipts and still balk at paying it. Finally, there's the issue of this happening in a foreign country so small claims court isn't a possibility.

That's a heck of an uphill battle. Items like jewelry and electronics should never be put in luggage that is out of someone's personal possession. You're free to use the contacts on this website but there also may be a few other paths to take.

1. You say you've been taking clients to this hotel for 15 years. Therefore you must have some great personal contacts with the management. What would their response be if you told them that you are pulling your business because of this incident? If you work for a larger tour operator, what is your management able to do? I know that with the tour operators I've used in the past that they can cut through the red tape to try to reach a mutually beneficial resolution to issues.

2. Since the bag was in the care of the tour, is there an insurance claim that could be submitted with your business insurance for this?

3. Does the client have protection for this through their credit card? It's unlikely but possible. The same goes for their homeowner's insurance - might this be a possibility?

So there may be other avenues for this claim but those usually have time restrictions to them and you may inadvertently close off an area of compensation trying to fight an uphill battle with the hotel. You may find that another policy would have compensated for this if only the claim was filed in a timely manner. You may also want to stress to your clients to not leave valuable medications, jewelry or electronics in their checked bag. This has been stressed by every tour operator that I've ever been with.

Also, make sure you do not confuse the issue with the hotel when conversing with them. Asking things like "why is the security footage blurry" makes this sound like you're trying to paint some huge conspiracy theory. There aren't four questions. There's only one. "Where are we in this process of getting compensation for the missing bag that was delivered to the hotel?". Any other question just detracts from the overall goal. That's the question to keep asking, repeatedly, until you get a satisfactory answer should you choose to peruse compensation from the hotel - which, as I've stated before, may not be the best approach.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017
Unfortunately you should never leave anything that valuable with anyone - that should have traveled with you in the train.

You have no proof the jewelry was in that bags it's going to be a very hard thing to prove.

We can only suggest you use our company contacts to and start writing.

On the face of it a claim like that looks spurious and is almost automatically dismissed. I'm not arguing whether it is true or not. I'm just saying that it will look like attempted fraud to the hotel and, as such, will be flagged for a far more difficult resolution process. If my car is stolen and I claim a Van Gogh was in the trunk, my insurance company isn't going to just cut me a check.

Since your'e asking for a client, you (and they) are going to face difficulties on a number of fronts. The first is getting the hotel to admit they lost the bag. You say they "admitted" losing the bag but I'm going to assume that wasn't in writing so it's still a hearsay situation. It appears there's really no proof that the bag was ever put in their care. The next issue is that the hotel likely has a written, posted policy that says they're not responsible for the contents of unattended bags left with the bellhops. Then there's the size of the claim. It's very unlikely they're simply going to fork over $3k. Even if they were to admit losing it, they'd demand receipts and still balk at paying it. Finally, there's the issue of this happening in a foreign country so small claims court isn't a possibility.

That's a heck of an uphill battle. Items like jewelry and electronics should never be put in luggage that is out of someone's personal possession. You're free to use the contacts on this website but there also may be a few other paths to take.

1. You say you've been taking clients to this hotel for 15 years. Therefore you must have some great personal contacts with the management. What would their response be if you told them that you are pulling your business because of this incident? If you work for a larger tour operator, what is your management able to do? I know that with the tour operators I've used in the past that they can cut through the red tape to try to reach a mutually beneficial resolution to issues.

2. Since the bag was in the care of the tour, is there an insurance claim that could be submitted with your business insurance for this?

3. Does the client have protection for this through their credit card? It's unlikely but possible. The same goes for their homeowner's insurance - might this be a possibility?

So there may be other avenues for this claim but those usually have time restrictions to them and you may inadvertently close off an area of compensation trying to fight an uphill battle with the hotel. You may find that another policy would have compensated for this if only the claim was filed in a timely manner. You may also want to stress to your clients to not leave valuable medications, jewelry or electronics in their checked bag. This has been stressed by every tour operator that I've ever been with.

Also, make sure you do not confuse the issue with the hotel when conversing with them. Asking things like "why is the security footage blurry" makes this sound like you're trying to paint some huge conspiracy theory. There aren't four questions. There's only one. "Where are we in this process of getting compensation for the missing bag that was delivered to the hotel?". Any other question just detracts from the overall goal. That's the question to keep asking, repeatedly, until you get a satisfactory answer should you choose to peruse compensation from the hotel - which, as I've stated before, may not be the best approach.
Thank you for your recommendations yes I did tell client no one leaves jewelry in back including without a lock
Have told her to write tô insurance including my 18-page report they do not have any homeowners insurance in Brazil that covers this
The only thing I find strange is film becomes blurred exactly the moment they collect the bags so people cannot see clearly after and before film is normal
Hotel received 24
Pieces according to log but only 23 pieces were delivered so definitely bag was in their care
Tour operator unfortunately might go bankrupt but will have to give
Some
Compensation

Log

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
She lives in Brazil? That makes it even harder because OUR laws here don't cover folks in other countries.

But there is a tour operator involved too? Were they the ones who advised her to leave the bags with the hotel? Did they have an onsite rep. from the tour company with them?

Then they may have to compensate her if they were the ones who advised them to leave the bags but they should also require receipts from the woman. No one should have to reimburse anyone without proof that the items were actually in the bag.

It is important when you report something like this that you tell us the entire story - I don't think any of us thought a tour operator was involved - I know I thought you were traveling with a group of people you knew, not being sponsored by a tour company. That makes our responses very different.

Nov 14, 2016
Thank you for your recommendations yes I did tell client no one leaves jewelry in back including without a lock
Have told her to write tô insurance including my 18-page report they do not have any homeowners insurance in Brazil that covers this
The only thing I find strange is film becomes blurred exactly the moment they collect the bags so people cannot see clearly after and before film is normal
Hotel received 24
Pieces according to log but only 23 pieces were delivered so definitely bag was in their care
Tour operator unfortunately might go bankrupt but will have to give
Some
Compensation

Log
Again, concentrating on things like the film does nothing to further your case. It just detracts from the goal of getting compensation. Moreover, when you question something like that the reasonable inference is that you believe the tapes were doctored deliberately. If the hotel management is honest, you're questioning their integrity and personally insulting them. This isn't something to do in any culture but it is especially an egregious affront in China. If the hotel management isn't honest then you're probably already sunk anyway. So either way continuing to question the tapes just really hinders your own case. I strongly urge you to stop raising that issue, especially with any dealings with the hotel.

Does the tour operator have no clout with the hotel whatsoever? I know if this were my tour operator they would be working with existing contacts throughout the hotel hierarchy to come to a reasonable settlement. Maybe I'm just used to bigger companies but for example if this were Tauck I would feel reasonably assured that they could push something through. It strikes me as very strange that if you've guided hundreds or thousands of guests to this hotel over a number of years that suddenly they'd refuse to work with you (or the tour operator).

Finally, if paying out that little bit of compensation to the client would "bankrupt" the tour operator then they were going under anyway. Someone whose margins are that thin that such a small loss would cause them to fold is someone I'd stay far away from.

Jul 26, 2017

thank you for your comments. I am the travel agent based in Miami who organized the trip most of my clients are from Brazil and this was one group. I have my local tour operator in China organize everything. He has been going to Sheraton on a Daily basis and is the one who went to police several times with photos etc. You are perfectly correct I will resend just the one question and not 3-4 - Where are we in the process of getting compensation for the bag that was delivered to the hotel. This is perfect. Thank you.
I do have an 18-page report with all the details and emails sent back and forth to hotel and with ack from Sheraton - just ack saying would be back soon. I think document too long to include that is why I just summarized.
Once again thank you for telling me there should be just one question.

Jul 26, 2017
I agree with Kahhss. Why isn't the tour operator investigating this instead of you? It is on them if it was their tour which is why I say if you had told us this from the start our advice would be different.
Tour operator is going to hotel everything but they do not even look at him any more. I fell sorry for him but I did withhold some of his funds and told him that some type of compensation has to be given to client before I pay him all I owe.
Hotel tells him if I want to file suit I can go ahead but must do it personally in China and if I hire a lawyer it will be much more than any compensation.

Jul 26, 2017
Again, concentrating on things like the film does nothing to further your case. It just detracts from the goal of getting compensation. Moreover, when you question something like that the reasonable inference is that you believe the tapes were doctored deliberately. If the hotel management is honest, you're questioning their integrity and personally insulting them. This isn't something to do in any culture but it is especially an egregious affront in China. If the hotel management isn't honest then you're probably already sunk anyway. So either way continuing to question the tapes just really hinders your own case. I strongly urge you to stop raising that issue, especially with any dealings with the hotel.

Does the tour operator have no clout with the hotel whatsoever? I know if this were my tour operator they would be working with existing contacts throughout the hotel hierarchy to come to a reasonable settlement. Maybe I'm just used to bigger companies but for example if this were Tauck I would feel reasonably assured that they could push something through. It strikes me as very strange that if you've guided hundreds or thousands of guests to this hotel over a number of years that suddenly they'd refuse to work with you (or the tour operator).

Finally, if paying out that little bit of compensation to the client would "bankrupt" the tour operator then they were going under anyway. Someone whose margins are that thin that such a small loss would cause them to fold is someone I'd stay far away from.
this is a small tour operator I have been using for many years as well as other big ones like CITS be became small now because parted ways with partner.
I did ask Sheraton Headquarters when they called me a couple of weeks ago to say they were closing the file - I explained everything to them - and they did say they believe the hotel must have some type of insurance but never said anything else or never called again I only get replies saying we ack your email
I would not like to take funds from local tour operator so am trying all avenues and hope they will do something.

Jul 26, 2017

by the way on July 7 I sent email only with these questions and now one replied:
please advise if you have any news on the bag that was left at Sheraton Guilin for several hours June 21, 2017? What measures are you taking to find the bag?

Nov 14, 2016
by the way on July 7 I sent email only with these questions and now one replied:
please advise if you have any news on the bag that was left at Sheraton Guilin for several hours June 21, 2017? What measures are you taking to find the bag?
Then it's time to escalate using the contacts on this website. That they've not answered - even with a no - is not acceptable.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Wish you would have told us that you are the agent and you used a supplier.

Who told everyone to leave their bags? Was it someone from the tour company themselves? That is where the liability lies. I am not sure that Sheraton in the U.S. here is going to be able to help in this situation - but as Kahhss said, starting writing one by one to the executives here.

But in fairness to the tour operator, since you are withholding some of the money owed to him - you need to get receipts from this woman for the jewelry. It is not practical nor would an insurance company reimburse her based on her word. I think you need to make her prove her loss just as she would have to if you were putting in an insurance claim.

She has to prove what was in that bag - you can't just take her word for it.

Also as a travel agent do advise your clients not to bring valuables when they travel? If you don't you seriously need to do so.

Jul 26, 2017
this was my last email sent a few days ago and finally Sheraton acknowledged of course I had to go into their website and copy their "customer service" motto in the email to see if someone would reply.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Customer Care, Starwood <customercare@starwoodhotels.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Luggage misplaced by Sheraton Guilin June 21, 2017 - CASE 201706233586 still waiting for answers to my questions and what is action of Sheraton CASE 291796233586 (KMM86778704V17716L0KM)
To: Bonnie Braga <braga.bonnie@gmail.com>

Dear Ms. Braga,

Thank you for your email to Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide regarding your complain reference number 201706233586. It is always pleasure to assist our SPG members and I welcome the opportunity to assist you.

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused to you. I can certainly understand your frustration and how this would leave a lasting impression. We strive to maintain the highest quality of customer service. We apologize if your experience has not been reflective of this and would like to assure you this was an exception and not the rule and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced. Moreover, I have personally intimated the respective team regarding your concern and you will be hearing from one of our colleague in next 48 hours. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Ms. Braga, should you require further any help you may simply reply to this email. I wish you a lovely day ahead.

Best Regards,

Vivek Khalkho

Associate, Gold Starwood Preferred Guest

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, LLC

Date: July 27, 2017 10:33:53 AM IST

18th email requesting for a reply

Dear Totti and Customer Care Sheraton staff
Almost 5 weeks have passed since the luggage was lost by Sheraton Guilin and I am still waiting for answers to my questions. This file is not to be closed until some action is taken on the part of Sheraton.
1- June 21 - 1 p.m. - driver leaves 24 pieces of luggage at hotel. Security film shows first cart with 10 large suitcases being loaded. Then several minutes later - bellboy comes to pick up 2nd batch - why is it when he is loading the 2nd batch
your film becomes BLURRED so no one can really see what bags are being loaded?
Film is only blurred during those minutes - very strange
2- group arrives 8:00 p.m.
I go directly to the front desk to get the keys and give my cc as a deposit, and before I even distribute the keys, bellboy does not even inform
or confirm with guide they had received 24 pieces.
One person, Mrs. Clarisse, tells them her bag is missing, reply from bellboy this is all we have you must have left it at the airport
WRONG ANSWER

why did the bellboy not check / count all the bags and wait for room keys to be assigned before telling everyone to take their bags?

3- Client asks to see the security film and is rather upset because AS MENTIONED ABOVE WHEN LOADING THE 2ND BATCH OF LUGGAGE THE FILM BECOMES BLURRED SO NO ONE CAN SEE IT. Very strange film is blurred only during those minutes of loading 2nd batch.

4- We go to the airport almost midnight to file a claim. Police report attached in previous emails.
5- June 23 after we leave hotel, hotel confirms to tour operator that they received 24 pieces but only delivered 23 - if that is the case why did they tell us to go to the airport at midnight?

6- Tour operator goes back to the police and is shown a film of everyone leaving the aircraft, getting their bags and taking them out of the airport to the bus. This means bag was never left at the airport. A photo was taken of Mrs. Clarisse with her bag leaving the airport. We did not have to go to the airport to file a claim but at least the film shows that bag was never left at airport so definitely lost at Sheraton Guilin.

7- When tour operator asked Sheraton to see the film he is told need me to send email authorizing him to see the Sheraton Guilin security film.

I send email and 2 days later reply is security manager is off duty will get back in a couple of days - trying to gain time is my only conclusion.

7- As soon as I arrive Shanghai I call Sheraton head Office explain the story - asking them for an email address. Sheraton tells me no need to send email, they will be in touch with me in 5 days.
The first time Sheraton was in touch was 11 days later when I called them up - back in Miami, and got an email address and was given a phone to call - every time I called - 6 days in a row there was always someone in the defensive telling me someone would contact possibly the Sheraton Guilin

8- The rest of the story is in my 18-page report with photos of the bags, etc that you have all received.
9- In the bag, besides jewelry - safire ring and diamond ear-rings, I am repeating again, client had lots of important medicine - described in report costing several hundred dollars, she has a chronic kidney problem - USD800.00 - 30 day supply
2 pairs of glasses and 2 pairs of contact lenses which she just replaced in Brazil for over USD600.00

A Samsung smart camera with photos taken in Dubai, Beijing and Xian plus a charger - USD160.00

a pair of shoes, babydoll, Shuemura make up, contact lense liquid, and several personal items including original Mark Jacobs bag purchased in Brazil for USD300.00

10- Still waiting for unanswered questions:
a- why did film become blurred only when 2nd batch of luggage was being loaded
b- if luggage stayed at Sheraton Guilin for 7 hours why was luggage not protected with a net?
c- Why did Sheraton Guilin receive 24 BAGS and only deliver 23?

d- why did the bellboy not wait for everyone to receive their keys and identify the luggage instead of telling everyone to get their luggage? What was the Sheraton Guilin
trying to hide with this action?

I have been a Starwood Member since 1985, have sent hundreds of clients to the Sheraton Guilin during these past 15 years through several tour operators including CITS Head Office, and am surprised with Sheraton's stance in this matter
- this attitude is not what you praise yourselves or are committed to do:

www.starwood.com

• Customer Service
Service Commitment
At Starwood, we call our shared values "promises." These promises guide our everyday actions and ensure a common understanding of what we can expect from one another.

Starwood's values are:
  • Go the Extra Step by taking actions that build lasting connections and loyalty
  • Play as a Team by working globally and across all teams in the company
  • Do the Right Thing by using good judgment, respecting our guests, communities, associates, owners, partners and the environment
We take care to uphold these promises in every interaction, including those with our guests. We're committed to creating a company that is a great place to work and provides wonderful, diverse guest experiences.

Stacy, Ambassador
I am dedicated to providing highly personalized service and believe that being able to put myself in our guests’ position helps make their journey more enjoyable and memorable. I keep integrity, accountability and respect in mind when working with both guests and colleagues to make sure I always do the right thing.

Evane, Ambassador
We're always looking for new opportunities to wow our guests. I enhance their experiences by working closely with our global team to ensure we are available 24 hours a day. Great customer service, uncompromising care, keeping guest needs in mind, and exceeding their expectations are how I go the extra step every day.

Abdellah, Ambassador
I am thrilled to assist my guests in a friendly and efficient way. On a daily basis I get great pleasure in exceeding my guests’ expectations. I am proud to be part of this great service that incorporates Starwood’s promises.

Awaiting your true commitment action according to your website mentioned
above

Sincerely
Bonnie Braga
www.chinalife.com
A Starwood Preferred Gold member since 1985
and in the travel industry since 1969