Lost Jackets found by crew but Airline denies

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 23, 2016
I left two jackets on a connecting flight from Agile Azur to Air France. When I discovered it there was no time to go back. Air France said I should go to baggage and inquire on arrival at SFO.

When I got off the plane in SF I checked for my lost items at the Air France baggage counter. The gentleman there sent me a copy from the log book showing 2 jackets were found in DeGaulle airport as he emailed to me from his personal email. He advised me to contact consumer support for Delta the american rep for Air France.

I called consumer assistance at Delta the parent company in US as instructed by Air France. Delta on the phone refused to get involved and also said there was no supervisor to talk to. They said that I must email a report to Delta, which I did, including log information above and received several form responses (with noreply address) wherein they state not being able to find jackets.

I tried the lost and found through the Air France website with similar response.

If you can't speak to a human, and only fill out forms, how can you show them that the airport has already acknowledged they found my items. This is so frustrating. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 19, 2015
Did you leave your jackets on the Agile Azur flight? If so you need to contact that airline. If left on an AF flight then one has to contact AF.

From the CDG airport website

An item found in an airplane is automatically handled by the airline that chartered this aircraft.
To find out more, please contact your airline directly.

http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/services/claims-litigation/lost-property

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I understand your frustration, Jessica, but phone calls gain you very little. Unfortunately, an airline agent will tell you nearly anything just to get you off the phone; if they refer you somewhere else, they don't need to do anything about your problem. Compose a polite, concise letter to AgileAzur with all the facts, requesting that they return your jackets. You don't state how long ago this happened, so I hope that they are still at CDG, safe in Lost & Found.

Sep 19, 2015
Please note that according to the airport website the airlines only keep lost property for 15 days. You must contact the carrier who operated the plane (not code share)

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I had the same thing with my iPhone and it was in a case holding my credit cards. I got off the plane at JFK and realized as I got into the car- 15 minutes later. The cleaners were still on board and found it . You would think this would be simple. I never got it back. I tried everything- lost and found, tweeting- I was still at the airport!! It was no use. I don't mean to be negative but I had to purchase a new phone for $800 and cancel the cards as well as dispute the charge bc someone tried to use one of the cards for a taxi. These days the flight turnarounds are so quick, I don't think there is any procedure to handle left items, unfortunately. You may have to replace the jackets. If they were relatively new then you can use your credit card purchase protection, if it has one.

Aug 25, 2016
I left my sweater on an Iberia flight from Chicago to Madrid. We went to their club, reported the loss to the desk there. They said go to Iberia website for lost and found. Luckily my wife disagreed and asked them to call the cleanup crew for the plane. The sweater was found and the supervisor for the club went and fetched the sweater. It appears that swift action for recovery can avoid the hassles described above.

Aug 25, 2016
I flew Croatia Airlines in May to and from London. I left my computer on the aircraft, and did not discover my mistake until I was in my hotel at the airport that night. The next day, after checking in with my airline to the US, I went to the Croatia desk at Heathrow. They had the computer,. The gentlemen at the desk required me to describe the computer, the flight and location of the computer in the aircraft. Finally he required me to turn the computer on and log in to prove it was mine. Other than not making the mistake, could not have had a better experience. Kudos to Croatia Airlines, and definitely worth trying to get lost item back

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I flew Croatia Airlines in May to and from London. I left my computer on the aircraft, and did not discover my mistake until I was in my hotel at the airport that night. The next day, after checking in with my airline to the US, I went to the Croatia desk at Heathrow. They had the computer,. The gentlemen at the desk required me to describe the computer, the flight and location of the computer in the aircraft. Finally he required me to turn the computer on and log in to prove it was mine. Other than not making the mistake, could not have had a better experience. Kudos to Croatia Airlines, and definitely worth trying to get lost item back
WONDERFUL story! Love the agent making you jump through all those hoops to retreive it. I'll bet you were on Cloud 9 for a week.

Jan 4, 2016
One thing that I've heard can complicate things is if they're left in another country, from an customs standpoint the airline cannot ship it and you must retrieve it. This has never happened to be, but I know two people who had to fly back to an international airport to recover their items and that is the reason they explained to me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
One thing that I've heard can complicate things is if they're left in another country, from an customs standpoint the airline cannot ship it and you must retrieve it. This has never happened to be, but I know two people who had to fly back to an international airport to recover their items and that is the reason they explained to me.
A most important point ... someone can't just put it on the next plane out of the country.