lost item on Delta flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 3, 2018
On May 2 took a flight from Brussels to Atlanta on Delta on (flight 81, Seat 16B). Because I was so tired from the flight I did not carefully enough check the seat back for my personal items. As a result I left my $500 Samsung tablet (with all my pictures from many trips, and my email info, of course) in the seat pocket. I have contacted Delta numerous times, submitted two lost items reports and get only a "noreply" email saying that Delta is looking for my item.

When I talked to the agents with Delta Customer Care, the agents say that there is no way to contact the lost baggage or lost items personnel. Some of the agents I talked to said there is a good chance that I would retrieve my tablet but so far no luck. I was told by one agent that all lost items are sent to somewhere in Alabama but there is no way to contact anyone there as they do not have phone contact.

(I have also talked to Samsung personnel who tell me there is no way to track my tablet using their system.)

My questions are: how can I get more response from Delta? Is it possible to talk to the Lost Items office? What are the chances that I will retrieve my item? How can I improve my chances of getting my item? (I would personally go to Alabama to visit the office and see if I could retrieve my item if I could talk to someone who can help me.)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our pages - you can use those to escalate to Delta. Byt be aware that they don't clean the planes - they have companies that come on and clean the planes after it empties out. It is entirely possible one of the cleaners found it and took it. I don't think the chanes are high that you will recover the tablet I am sorry to say.

Read the information on the Company Contacts page about how to escalate before you write.

Sep 19, 2015
Is there no find my mobile (or tablet) app for Samsung?

Alabama is the site of the lost baggage center. That is where luggage goes after 90 days if it is unclaimed. (https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com). I do not know if any individual items are sent there.

Is the tablet password protected?

As Neil pointed out, the cleaning crew is usually a separate company. Sometimes they do not do such a great job so the tablet may not be found at the arriving airport, it may travel in the plane another leg, which may complicate issues.

Do try and write to the contacts. How soon after landing did you notice and report it?

Jun 3, 2018
Can you clarify? ie who are the contacts I should reply to? Unfortunately I did not register my Samsung tablet so Samsung cannot track it. I will try to contact the unclaimed baggage department. thanks for all the info,

Jun 3, 2018
Although I did not register the tablet with Samsung, I gave Delta the serial number and identifying characteristics of the tablet when I filed as lost item report on the Delta website.

If Delta does not clean their planes and has a third party clean the planes, is this company held accountable for the items that they find on the plane that could be valuable to passengers. What accountability procedures do airlines have over their subcontractors, such as airline cleaners? I find that found items such as tablets, computers, phones etc that are valuable to airline customers should have some company oversight.

((However I feel so stupid leaving such a valuable item that I carried for over 8000 miles on my last trip to leave it on my last travel leg)

thanks

Sep 19, 2015
Cava do not bother with the Alabama unclaimed baggage. They buy unclaimed items after 90 days and then sell them -- so they are of no use to you. They are not in the business of reuniting lost items with their owners.

Continue to work with the airline and the airport, that is all I can think of.

Jun 3, 2018
ok thanks! I will continue to work with Delta. But they are unresponsive, ie, the cutomer service people as . Should I write to the higher ups?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I really feel for you, cava. I haul a laptop/tablet all over the place and once I left it in the seat pocket on Air Canada. I realized it as we drove out of the airport made an immediate U-turn and when I rolled into the AC tix desk, someone had just brought it up . I've never been so upset with myself in my life, I will literally never forget that "blood draining from your head" feeling.

Delta's not communicating with you because they haven't found it and that's generally where an airline leaves a situation; they do no detective work. If they find it, it appears in the baggage claim system. They do not allow passengers to call the baggage people directly, because people will call them 3 times a day looking for their lost items.

It's probably gone forever, but we see miracles all the time here. Use our Company Contacts and instructions to appeal to the DL executives to go a bit further for you. You never know.

ADVOCATE ADVICE

When you're travelling, be sure your computer is encrypted and password-protected. I have put my business card on the back of my laptop. Back up everything before you leave home. Use a flash drive periodically during your trip (especially with photos) to retain most everything in case of disaster. It's one of those horrendous things that you think can never happen ... but it happens to the most careful of travellers.

Apr 10, 2017
According to the ATL website you are supposed to contact the airline directly:

Lost something on an airplane?
Passengers leaving items on airplanes or in a gate area should contact the airline directly. Visit your airline's website for information about their Lost & Found processes.

Sep 19, 2015
Cava at this point I think you may want to contact the AL luggage lost and found- it seems that Delta has outsourced the entire lost and found to the company

Try Lost and Found Central. 256-999-0980

Jun 3, 2018
Thaks I used this number and actually got an email response from a staff member. I am not sure who is Lost and Found Central is. Do they represent the airlines or the airports?
thanks Carol

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I would love to know if anyone reading this has ever had an item found and returned when they fill in that form that Delta, Southwest and others use.

Jun 3, 2018
That would be interesting to know. Delta keeps telling me the chances are not bad. I will keep bugging them. But the rep told me it could take a month or tow. He said that they check all the serial numbers for tablets and phones and match it to the lost/found report. We will see.

Feb 21, 2018
I would love to know if anyone reading this has ever had an item found and returned when they fill in that form that Delta, Southwest and others use.
A few years ago my daughter was flying regularly between PHL and SAV through ATL, back and forth to college in Savannah. She always flew with just a carryon, but one trip was told it needed to be gate checked. She never got it tagged with her name, just left it with the rest of the bags at the jetway door. It wasn't there when she landed in Savannah. It was a bag that had her favorite clothing pieces in it.

She filled out a ton of paperwork at the airport, but with a bag that had no name on it we weren't hopeful. Yet four days later, she got a call that her bag was located....in Salt Lake City. It probably helped that it wasn't just a plain, non-descript black or solid color bag but a brightly patterned Vera Bradley design. Delta delivered it to her doorstep a day after it was found.

Sep 19, 2015
Thaks I used this number and actually got an email response from a staff member. I am not sure who is Lost and Found Central is. Do they represent the airlines or the airports?
thanks Carol
From what I understand Delta outsourced their lost and found to this company which may be why it is so hard to reach someone.

The issue of lost and found of course is dependent on people ie the finder being honest, and that is where the problem is. Over a year ago I found someone’s iPhone. I did manage to contact the owner and it was a work phone....

Mar 23, 2015
Ugh. I hope you get it back, but I wouldn't hold my breath! Hubby and I took a cruise and left our brand new Samsung tablet in the lounge where we'd been waiting to disembark. The black tablet on the black seat just didn't register when it was our turn and we weren't used to carrying it around yet, I guess. Literally 15 mins later on the bus to the airport, we freaked out and called the cruiseship but it was already gone. We never heard a thing. My assumption is another passenger found it and kept it, but it could have been crew. Now all my tablets/eReaders/smartphones have brightly colored covers! Good Luck!