Let me Coach you through this

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 4, 2017
Coach, the leather goods company, has plenty of my money. I am aware that many of the items at the outlet store are made specifically for the outlet, and therefore not of the quality of the retail goods. Still, when my outlet summer bag's strap broke after two seasons/six months of wear, I was not happy and returned to the outlet where I purchased it to see what could be done.

The clerk I spoke with found my name in their system but not the purchase receipt because of a computer conversion. Without it, the only option was to send it for repair at my cost of nearly $80, which was unacceptable I continued to stress that a strap should not fail after sixth months and invited inspection of the very gently used bag. Persons #2 was summoned, but no satisfaction, until I asked for the manager. She remembered the season when the bag was sold and together we agreed to a $35 repair cost.

It was interesting to see how far I had to push to resolve the problem. Standing near the register so others could hear about my merchandise fail and not taking no for an answer got me what I wanted. I never raised my voice or got angry, but I did ask if they were willing to lose a customer over a purse strap. Apparently everyone but the manager was.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Stop saying 6 months. You have had he bag for 2 years. We don't know how you stored it, much weight you carried in it, whether the strap was well made or the weather conditions.

I have had an expensive purse strap break once. Fortunately it had handles as well but I liked carrying it with the shoulder strap. How much was the purse bc I can assure you the strap repair will never hold and will just break again at the most inconvenient time ever. My cobbler won't even do them anymore.. I would just not shop there anymore. The store doesn't owe you anything and if they cover the repair it will break again anyway. Maybe ask them for a discount or something minor on another item.

Aug 4, 2017
Stop saying 6 months. You have had he bag for 2 years. We don't know how you stored it, much weight you carried in it, whether the strap was well made or the weather conditions.

I have had an expensive purse strap break once. Fortunately it had handles as well but I liked carrying it with the shoulder strap. How much was the purse bc I can assure you the strap repair will never hold and will just break again at the most inconvenient time ever. My cobbler won't even do them anymore.. I would just not shop there anymore. The store doesn't owe you anything and if they cover the repair it will break again anyway. Maybe ask them for a discount or something minor on another item.
I live in Chicago. A summer bag is used June/July/August. 3 months x 2 is six months of use. I would expect a Coach purse -- even an outlet version -- to last longer than that. I still have almost every Coach purse I've ever bought because I have them refurbished. The older styles are back again. Perhaps you are not familiar with the Coach brand.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I live in Chicago. A summer bag is used June/July/August. 3 months x 2 is six months of use. I would expect a Coach purse -- even an outlet version -- to last longer than that. I still have almost every Coach purse I've ever bought because I have them refurbished. The older styles are back again. Perhaps you are not familiar with the Coach brand.
You may have only used it for six months but that doesn't mean the leather can't break down or age in the 2 years you have had it even if it's a Coach. Perhaps you got a defective bag but why would they charge you at all to fix it if it was defective?

Dec 11, 2016
A quick online search and it sounds like Coach offers a 1 year warranty for repairs. It's a shame the strap didn't hold up like you expected, and I'm glad the manager was able to help you.

Please keep in mind that while it's only six months of use to YOU, the employees only see a customer complaining about a purchase two years after the fact, who then refuses to accept the options given. I really am glad the manager was able to provide a satisfactory resolution. But as a customer myself, the comment "Standing near the register so others could hear about my merchandise fail and not taking no for an answer got me what I wanted." is something that makes me uncomfortable.

Sep 19, 2015
Coach used to be very well made and the company would repair things that had defects. This was when they were made in the USA. This was all pre IPO days.

I have more purses than I need and the good ones last much longer than 2 years even not being used. The leather should not deterioriate that quickly on a premium bag-- that being said I no longer consider Coach a premium bag. Their manufacturing is not that impressive now and with the made for outlet issue the quality can be worse.

If the retail front line employees did not recognize the bag they may have thought is was 10 years old since their was no record of its purchase. I am not making excuses for the situation just an explanation.

The old coach bags (made in USA) were of such good quality and the company stood behind them; those days are gone.

Last edited:

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I am aware that many of the items at the outlet store are made specifically for the outlet, and therefore not of the quality of the retail goods.
IMO that statement is the relevant part of the equation.
In addition, even the retail handbags are not as well made as previously.
I haven't bought a new Coach bag for years but do have some that are approaching 40 years old that are still in wonderful condition. They are very collectible. Search Etsy.com for verification.
LIbby doesn't mention how much she paid for the summer bag but if she is willing to pay $35 to have it fixed I would say she is being fair. I think it would be wrong to state emphatically that the new strap will break again, that just isn't provable.
I agree that manufacturers need to be held to the standard that they promote. Coach represents itself as a top brand.

Feb 9, 2016
I bought a Kate Spade purse from the outlet. The strap failed after 3 months. Thankfully I was within the refund period and, like you, decided that I didn't want to own another low quality outlet item that would probably fail again. I got a full refund. Your post reinforces that I would rather purchase a used designer bag than an outlet item.

I replace the outlet Kate Spade with a used Louis Vuitton from www.bagborroworsteal.com 2 years ago, and I couldn't be happier, and would purchase from them again. Happy trails to you

Nov 14, 2016
If you have a convertible automobile in Chicago you aren't going to be able to use it in the winter. That doesn't mean your 3yr, 36,000 warranty is somehow magically extended to 72 months.

I'm glad that management accommodated you but they weren't under any obligation to do so. Thus this is an example of Coach going above and beyond to provide good customer service. Good for them.

Sep 19, 2015
Sas80 Coach now owns Kate Spade.....

And MMB I have some "vintage" Coach bags from the made in USA period and they are still going strong and one is used often. Coach used to stand behind their bags because they were so well made -- I had to have the brass hardware replaced (the turnlock) on two and Coach did it for free -- and the bags were several years old.

Coach used to have dedicated workshops/factories in the US. Now they use various factories in the Far East.

I just bought a new bag as I wanted a little larger. The last bag was not a "name brand" but was very well made and lasted over 4 years of constant use, and cost less than $200. My replacement bag is similar. They are made in Italy and of good quality -- but not a name brand.

I too would rather buy a gently used well made bag over a new bag that is poorly made.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Good for you, Libby ... your bag should last at least ten years, even with the inferior workmanship my colleagues are referring to. Why else buy a Coach? If the retail clerks don't know what they're selling, you educated them. I'm delighted you got it repaired for a fair price.

I am definitely getting an education here! I avoid designer goods like the plague, but 25 years ago I bought a taupe Coach bag at Dayton's Minneapolis because the design was classic and I wanted quality. I don't like to fuss with that stuff. Dayton's stood behind everything they sold FOREVER .

I've had it 'refurbished' once at the cobbler and it still looks wonderful, nothing has ever failed. 27 years ago I got the same bag in black at an outlet on Grand Cayman. That bag has been used 4x/week all those years. Again, refurbishment at the cobbler after 20 years, no other issues. I don't own any other purses. So back then there was no difference in quality between Dayton's and an outlet center. A Coach bag was a Coach bag. Hopefully I'll never need another handbag, but if I do I'll check VERY carefully before buying one. Thanks for sharing your great story, Libby.

Aug 4, 2017
Coach repair update: the bag was returned unrepairable with an apology and 10 percent off coupon. I called the number on the enclosed letter and restated my case and was offered $50 off my next purchase. The lesson: it doesn't hurt to ask. I was not aware of the transitions going on at Coach. I will use my coupon, but continue to cherish and refurbish the oldies I already have.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Coach repair update: the bag was returned unrepairable with an apology and 10 percent off coupon. I called the number on the enclosed letter and restated my case and was offered $50 off my next purchase. The lesson: it doesn't hurt to ask. I was not aware of the transitions going on at Coach. I will use my coupon, but continue to cherish and refurbish the oldies I already have.
Wow, a broken strap is 'unrepairable"? That's nuts. Guess Coach has gone down the tubes with quality big time. Hopefully my two will outlast me ... I have no idea what I'd replace them with. Maybe a nice tote bag from the library, we could all carry those around and start a new fad.

May 17, 2016
Unrepairable?? How about their simply replacing the strap?

Sep 18, 2014
If you have a convertible automobile in Chicago you aren't going to be able to use it in the winter. That doesn't mean your 3yr, 36,000 warranty is somehow magically extended to 72 months.

I'm glad that management accommodated you but they weren't under any obligation to do so. Thus this is an example of Coach going above and beyond to provide good customer service. Good for them.
Kahhss, I'm sure you meant you can't drive your convertible with the top down during Chicago winters. Because believe me, I have been driving convertibles for 30 years in STL winters, through snow, rain, whatever ... I'm on my 4th ragtop and they hold up fine. And they stay quite warm in winter with the top up (convertible tops are much better constructed and insulated than they used to be). Then again, I'm nuts enough to drive top-down on a nippy fall day with the heater blasting, just to get that wind in my hair and see the fall colors!

And yes, I have 3 Coach bags, all bought from Coach outlets. I know they're not the same quality as the Coach bags sold @ department stores, but so far mine have held up well (and I'm pretty hard on purses).

Edited: My most recent Coach bag (tote) was purchased from Coach's online outlet, not a brick-&-mortar outlet store. It seems to be a much better quality, heavier-weight pebbled leather than others I have seen in the outlet stores. I now wonder if the online outlet sells department store leftovers/closeouts, rather than the lower-quality made-for-outlet-store goods.

You must sign up for the Coach e-mails. They send sale notices for the stores about once every week or 2, and the online outlet sales are about once a month or so.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I also question why the strap can't be replaced.

Nov 14, 2016
I also question why the strap can't be replaced.
JSN55 said:
Wow, a broken strap is 'unrepairable"? That's nuts.
joycexyz said:
Unrepairable?? How about their simply replacing the strap?
This is fairly simple folks.

They don't have the same fabric, pattern or whatever else that matches that older model bag. The strap is specific to that bag, so if the bag is out of stock they're not likely to keep a supply of spare parts in stock on the off chance that a repair is needed. If they did that their inventory would be enormous (and very costly). If they do keep spare parts on out-of-production bags, it's likely to be a very small supply. Once they're out they won't make more. It costs a lot of money to ramp up a production line to produce one item.