Legally blind and got robbed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 3, 2018
On March 29 I was trying to help my granddaughter and her mother move my granddaughter who is disabled and I who am legally blind I went online and Groupon and called a company called Atl Express Mover‘s the title to my car his name was Adrian Smith I booked a reservation and told him I would proceed with paying $122 with my PayPal account on Groupon he stop me from making the payment and asked that I send him the money direct to his PayPal account I questioned him why he said he was having problems with groupon So I sent him the payment directly to his PayPal account then on April 2 is when the problems began my appointment was set for 1 PM I started calling his phone number from 8 AM to confirm our appointment he never return my call at 2:2:30 PM I received a text from him saying he was having truck issues By this time all of my granddaughter belongings are sitting in a parking lot we are in 90° weather I text him back and said please call me he never did so I called him and pleaded with him are you going to be able to provide the service that you promise he gave me the run around I said OK can you please refund my money immediately so that I may hire a U-Haul truck he said OK however after several attempts trying to call him back he had a story that just didn’t make sense after getting confirmation that he received my money he now says Pay Pal never gave him the money he never received the money from PayPal so After calling hours after hours Mr. Smith disappeared with my money and I never got the service that we agreed on several days later I am calling and calling and Mr. Smith has a story out of this world after doing further investigation I found out that there’s never a never been a company Call Atl Express Mover‘s he had no website no physical address everything was packed in phony this was a day that was allowed to sign up on Groupon as a business to steal from consumers I contacted Groupon and several locations and nothing was done to make matters worse He was aware of the buyer protection from Pay Pal so he knew once I sent him the money there was no way for me to file a claim with PayPal my claim was denied I sent Mr. Smith several text and advise him this is theift by deception I just couldn’t understand how Groupon a company as big as they are could allow anyone to post a fake business online and do this to their customers I am very out wage about this I also have ask Pay Pal to investigate this incident and please try to do something to stop Mr. Smith from doing this to other consumers and still nothing has been done after reaching out to both companies I’m lab standing in the middle of the of the road with my white cane trying to figure out what to do next I have audio recording evidence with Mr. Smith admitting that he stole this money from me I have sent it to Pay Pal and Groupon and believe it or not still nothing has been done Until then I am sure Mr. Smith has stole money from a lot of other people as well and I cannot believe that it is not a great concern to companies like Pay Pal and Groupon shame on them I intend to fight this case to the very end and make sure that this does not happen to anyone else I will continue to make my 99 calls to Pay Pal and Groupon until justice is served I hope and pray they will do the right thing until then I remain Santa

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So you didn’t follow the Groupon policy and pal through Groupon? You could have used PayPal when you paid. Then they would have refunded you for service not performed. If you dont follow their directions- this is how people get scammed.

Their terms also state not only are they not responsible for content of the listings and they also statemtjeu are not responsible for losses arising out of paying for services directly, which is what you did.

https://www.groupon.com/legal/termsofservice#disclaimer-of-warranty

Sorry this happened but the only thing you can
do is take him to small claims court or try to prosecute him for theft.

Have you filed a police report?

Feb 16, 2018
A couple of questions, did you buy a Groupon, or did you only see an offer and contact ATL Express. If you did purchase a Groupon, what exactly was the terms of the Groupon?

You say he stopped you from sending via PayPal, but then say you sent it directly to his PayPal account, just how exactly did you send the money? If you did not sign in and use your PayPal account to send the money they may not have any involvement in investigating or refunding money.

Jun 3, 2018
A couple of questions, did you buy a Groupon, or did you only see an offer and contact ATL Express. If you did purchase a Groupon, what exactly was the terms of the Groupon?

You say he stopped you from sending via PayPal, but then say you sent it directly to his PayPal account, just how exactly did you send the money? If you did not sign in and use your PayPal account to send the money they may not have any involvement in investigating or refunding money.
Well I proceeded to purchase this service thur Groupon so he stopped me from making the correct payment to Groupon and said he was having problems with receiving the payment from them so he had me send the payment directly to his PayPal account so the transaction came out as Pay Pal personal to Pay Pal personal it appears he knew what he was doing and I fell put a trick because he knew once I sent it directly to his personal account Pay Pal there was no way I could dispute this claim that’s how I got caught in this traffic

Jun 3, 2018
So you didn’t follow the Groupon policy and pal through Groupon? You could have used PayPal when you paid. Then they would have refunded you for service not performed. If you dont follow their directions- this is how people get scammed.

Their terms also state not only are they not responsible for content of the listings and they also statemtjeu are not responsible for losses arising out of paying for services directly, which is what you did.

https://www.groupon.com/legal/termsofservice#disclaimer-of-warranty

Sorry this happened but the only thing you can
do is take him to small claims court or try to prosecute him for theft.

Have you filed a police report?
No I have not filed a police report but I do intend to do so

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You need to file charges with the police and if that doesn’t get your money back, you need to take him to small claims court. I hope you have those emails, it’s pretty cut and dried.

You fell for a scam which is not Groupons fault because you didn’t follow their terms and conditions.

Being legally blind also shouldn’t be brought up because it has nothing to do with what happened- you allowed this guy to talk you out of paying properly and I can’t see where your disability had anything to do with it.

Feb 16, 2018
You have no claim with PayPal or Groupon, by going outside thier system you made this a person to person deal. Small claims court will not be of much assistance as the filing fee may be more than the amount lost and you would have to know who to have served. You may file a police report but your chances of reimbursement there is small, especially if the perpetrator is not in your state. Once you file the report may I suggest you follow up with the Crime Victims Assistance program in your state they may be your best bet for reimbursement, assuming this is in Georgia I have included the link.
http://crimevictimscomp.ga.gov