• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Lack of Insureance plans for expats no longer residents in the USA and wanting to travel from their current foreign residence to another foreign count

Jan 17, 2019
Seems like all Elliott's Advocacy insurance plan supporters do not offer insurance for non USA residents. How can I find companies that to offer insurance for people from other countries. I am an American expat living in SE Asia and want to travel to other countries with insurance. Lots of Americans are migrating to retire, so this question should apply to many others. My interest includes all aspects of insurance trip, medical, auto etc. I have visited multiple plans over the past year, and enter my data, only to be rejected because I am not a USA resident.
Any help much appreciated.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Insurance is a regulated industry in many countries (it is regulated by the individual states in the US), so you will need to locate a company that is permitted to sell policies in your country of residence. For example, Travel Guard offers policies in some countries:

Reactions: Patina and VoR61
Sep 19, 2015
Are you looking for travel health insurance or travel insurance? There are companies that offer different products but as Dwayne noted the regulatory issues; insurance is often offered by residence.

Sep 19, 2015
Have you looked at Seven Corners or other suppliers such as that? There are certain restrictions (ie cannot live in certain countries but no country in SE Asia is excluded) but there are policies available. And of course look at policies in the country you reside.

Jan 8, 2016
Southern Oregon
So you are looking for trip insurance as an expat not residing in the USA? Have you looked at world nomads? Their limits are low - but so are many travel expenses in SEA. Or ask a local insurance agent that deals with expats. My local expat fb page has been most helpful

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61
Jan 17, 2019
Insurance is a regulated industry in many countries (it is regulated by the individual states in the US), so you will need to locate a company that is permitted to sell policies in your country of residence. For example, Travel Guard offers policies in some countries:
Dwayne, thanks for the info. Regulations to protect and separate out customers is an interesting business model. I will check out Travel Guard. Why would they be able to operate in other countries??? Any ideal?

Jan 17, 2019
I would try to find an ex-pat group for your country online or Facebook - people in your same circumstances may have more information.
Normally this would be good advice, but I live in Cambodia and I have never met anyone that buys insurance here. SE Asia is famous for scams and insurance companies here have a reputation of finding excuses for not paying. Yes even above and beyond Western companies. I will give it a try. Who know someone may have found a golden goose.

Reactions: Kitkat
Jan 17, 2019
Are you looking for travel health insurance or travel insurance? There are companies that offer different products but as Dwayne noted the regulatory issues; insurance is often offered by residence.
I am exploring options in both categories and most of all rental car insurance.

Jan 17, 2019
Have you looked at Seven Corners or other suppliers such as that? There are certain restrictions (ie cannot live in certain countries but no country in SE Asia is excluded) but there are policies available. And of course look at policies in the country you reside.
I have used Seven Corners to insure a SE Asian in the USA. I am not sure it works in reverse and in a non-USA travel target company. I have checked many companies that advert on this site and none would offer a product for me to travel form a SE Asia residency to Europe. Very odd.

Jan 17, 2019
So you are looking for trip insurance as an expat not residing in the USA? Have you looked at world nomads? Their limits are low - but so are many travel expenses in SEA. Or ask a local insurance agent that deals with expats. My local expat fb page has been most helpful
Just to be clear my travel would be from Cambodia, where I reside, to Europe. No one in SE Asia buys insurance, because the companies are unreliable, at least that is the common experience. Even the natives here will tell you of family horror stories with failure to pay insurance problems.

Jan 17, 2019
Addendum to my initial question. Even though I reside in Cambodia I keep an address in the USA. Can I legally qualify as a USA resident for insurance application purposes.

Jan 17, 2019
checked out Travel Guard. No insurance in Cambodia. Probably an related to business model goals not met in Cambodia to make it worth doing business here.

Jan 17, 2019
I have just looked at Seven Corners and they will cover me as long as I do not buy insurance to travel back to the USA. They cover travel and medical. My experience with my Asian friend was they were very reliable and competent in handling USA claims, so good suggestions. I will have to compare price to other offered sources. They were not cheap for coverage in the USA, but the USA is typically rated as 2X the price of the number two most expensive country for medical care.

Jan 17, 2019
You need to ask that question of the insurance company but it would probably void any policy because you don’t reside here.
Your advice is correct, we must move this question out of speculation buy directly asking the question. The main problem I have had is the various websites to not specify these details up front, which wastes a lot of customer time and clutters their web resources.

Jan 17, 2019
Anyone have any comments of car rental insurance in the context of my request. This is the insurance I would not travel without, since it is the highest risk most expensive loss possibility.

Jan 17, 2019
Christina, if you re-check the SE asia coverage list you will see only only Thailand, Singapore, hong Kong and Malaysia are covered. That leaves the rest of ASEAN countries out of the coverage envelope. Business model profile would be to only operate in the richest of countries.

Jan 17, 2019
I did look at World Nomads policy, and at a scan, it seem full of weasel words that could lead to failure to pay. I would have to master the entire policy before I would consider doing business with the company. Seems like Seven Corners was much more forward and to the point, from my experience with them.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Dwayne, thanks for the info. Regulations to protect and separate out customers is an interesting business model. I will check out Travel Guard. Why would they be able to operate in other countries??? Any ideal?
It is the State or Country that regulates the industry. The government normally sets the regulations that the industry must operate. Due to the nature of insurance, it is usually highly regulated by the government, which tends to discourage foreign companies from offering policies to residents of other countries or places where they don't have a business or legal presence.

Reactions: Kitkat and VoR61