1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

KLM not replacing my badly damaged valise

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by JNgwang, Dec 22, 2016.

1. mmb

mmb

Which is precisely why I suggested that if he has mobile banking with an app for Deposits he might want to try it.

JNgwang and jsn55 like this.
  2. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Yep he might!

JNgwang likes this.
  3. honestpointofview

You are right It can not be assumed that they do have it in JN's country. We only have very limited use of it in the UK.
    It was only in July 2016 that legislation (in the UK) came into force to allow it. Of the two banks trialing it one of the banks only allowed it via an iphone and no other phone. Further it only applies to customers of the same bank ie if the cheque is from another bank you can not use it. The second bank seems to have stopped the trial but again they had the same restriction i.e only cheques drawn on the same bank.

As of now the system in the UK has been delayed until at least later on in this year so it can not be assumed that JN can use the system.

JNgwang and Neil like this.
  4. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

JN, forgive me if this has been covered, but have you talked with an officer of your bank about this? It's definitely something way out of the ordinary, so the front-line tellers may not know how to help you. But if your bank is a big international bank, there should be no reason for them to decline to deposit the check into your account.

JNgwang and honestpointofview like this.
  5. George M

Have you considered opening an account at the bank on which the check is drawn, depositing the check, waiting for the funds to be available and then withdrawing the cash? You can then close the account and deposit the cash in your own bank.

JNgwang and Neil like this.
  6. JNgwang

That sounds a good try mmb,
    Yes, the cheque is actually in my name and it is my bank who is refusing the cheque NOT me complaining. I will give the app a try as suggested - thanks

7. JNgwang

Thanks again jssn55. I have been to my bank again to insist and they suggest that I open a separate account before the cheque can be accepted. In doing so, they will equally charge about 20-25% of the cheque. It sounds bizzare. Why should I open an account in a bank where I already have an account simply because I need to cash a cheque of about 200 $ which I will obtain minus 20-25% ??
    I guess the airline knows about this trap.
    However, I contacted the airline back but no reply yet.

8. JNgwang

Hello George,thanks for your contribution -The bank where the check is drawn is only in one city about 31/2 hours drive away from my city. I have not been there. Is it really advisable to hold many different bank accounts? just wondering out aloud

9. JNgwang

Well, the airline advised me to deposit the cheque at my bank. Cheques are not common in my country and I believe that banking in my country is still too backward - cant be compared with the west.
    If the issuing ban was in the same city with me, I would consider cashing the cheque

10. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

@JNgwang I think you might have to push back with the airline and tell them your bank will not cash the check and so you will require a wire transfer.

Neil, JNgwang and AMA like this.
  11. JNgwang

Great thought. I have been thinking same Carrie but wasnt quite sure if that was a correct move,thanks

12. JNgwang

Great thought there honestpointofview. I've just learned something new here.Thanks

13. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

JNwang, you are educating us! What an insular little world we occupy here in the US.

14. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Actually it's worse than that, his bank won't let him cash it OR deposit it and will charge a 20% fee to even think about handling it.

This is what he needs to tell them!

JNgwang likes this.
  15. JNgwang

This airline actually ought to have replaced my valise immediately. This is an incidence of 2016 yet they are playing around. I believe they knew so well the challenges of going round the cheque as they certainly encounter similar issues daily. I am unsure now how long it's going to take for them to write back and if they will at all reply, anyone with an idea please?

16. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Airlines are not in the luggage business, all they can do is give you money!

JNgwang likes this.
  17. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

That is a collection fee and how US banks handle checks drawn on banks outside the US.

Obviously, banking doesn't operate this way in his country.

JN, I agree we th the advice to contact the airline and advise them your bank will not cash it and ask for a wire transfer.

Maybe our writers can look at this one- they might be able to have contacts that can help.

jsn55, Patina, JNgwang and 1 other person like this.
  18. JNgwang

Sounds quite comforting reading this, Neil.
    Fingers crossed.
    Cheers.

19. JNgwang

Hi Niel and the team,

I have just returned from the 2nd and 3rd different branches of my banks. They have the same message, ' we cannot accept this cheque '. This is really embarrassing to me. Again, this airline initially requested for my bank account, for wiring of the refund but changed to cheque without seeking my views.
    I feel like I have exhausted all my efforts. My last email has been for a couple of days explaining the difficulty cashing the cheque but no reply yet. I feel that I really need support now as this has been taking much of my time yet no headway so far.
    Remember that I have previously followed the forum's advise to contact the hierachy when there was silence on this and it was only then that I could receive feedback.
    Any other way to please help?

20. Carrie Livingston

Staff Member Advocate

@JNgwang please click on the link at the top of the page "Help". Enter your information into the form. Indicate that you've been on the forums and have "received" your desired resolution however cannot cash the check at your bank. What you would like is for someone to reach out to KLM and get a wire transfer instead of the check. Good luck and let us know!

jsn55, JNgwang and honestpointofview like this.