1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

JFK travel problems and ripple effect

Discussion in 'Other' started by Christina H, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Christina H

After the snow storm which cancelled flights on January 4, the problems have continued at JFK. The airport has not been able to get operations back to normal, baggage transfer machinery froze, and then a water main broke.

Here is just one article and a highlight:

The disorder at J.F.K., one of the world’s busiest airports, rippled across the world, affecting passengers as far away as Beijing. Flights headed to New York were forced to turn back, and connecting flights that were only supposed to bring passengers to New York for a brief stay were grounded indefinitely.

On Sunday, just as there were signs that things were finally improving, a water main break in a terminal plunged the airport back into chaos. The flooding — three inches in parts of Terminal 4 — compounded the confusion that had gripped parts of Kennedy all weekend, as airlines tried to rebound from the cancellation of thousands of flights because of the storm. Officials of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates Kennedy Airport, were still trying to sort out what had gone wrong on Saturday when they had to scramble on Sunday to cope with the burst pipe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/07/nyregion/kennedy-airport.html

Flights have been diverted as far away as Detroit and other flights forced to return to departure.

JFK is odd in that the terminals are separately owned. Terminal 4 is not one of my favorites (Delta and many others are in the terminal) in that the owner only provides a very limited amount of free wifi; I used my mobile data but for foreigners it can be problematic.

On the news there have been interviews with passengers that have been staying at the airport, as funds have run low and they do not want to spend for hotels. I wonder if EU 261 will apply because so many of the problems seem to be FAA/JFK problems. I suspect that many people are wishing that they purchased travel insurance.

2. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

What a horrible mess. Thank you for the update, Christina. I used to be quite blase about connections at airports affected by winter, but no more ... I just won't book flights that are subject to winter.

3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If you live in the NE that’s impossible.

Thousands of people here have frozen and broken pipes because we’ve broken cold records this last week. JFK is still having issues - the news this morning showed thousands of unclaimed bags still sitting at the airport.

4. Christina H

I am trying to figure a way to hibernate all winter.

Seriously when there is a major snowstorm I would say if possible just cancel the trip and reschedule. That does not help a lot of people who left and are trying to return; at first the weather predictions were for less snow (3 inches) and then predictions were for 8 plus inches and heavy winds.

A lot of people are blaming the Port Authority of NY/NJ for the gate scheduling problems and the snow plow problems-- planes being stuck in the hangar because of snow.

Most of the issues are at the large Terminal 4 which is a massive international terminal -- Delta, KLM, Swiss...

The other NY airports have not fared this badly.

John Galbraith and VoR61 like this.