JCPenney denies me access to their website because I am in Israel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 27, 2016
All I am asking is for someone to offer an explanation - None has been forthcoming. Again, I am paying with their credit card and merchandise is being shipped to NY, not Israel.
It sounds like they block people from ordering using US addresses and US credit cards when the address on the computer shows that they're out of the country. This is not unusual, and it's often done as a fraud prevention measure. If you think about it, a scenario where someone who's located in another country, but using a US credit card to ship products to a US address, is rather unusual.

Again, I suggest you use a VPN, which would make it appear that your computer is in the US, and should solve the problem. If you're not going to do that, could you explain why that's not an option for you? Or, could you have someone located in the US place the order?

Mar 23, 2015
Guess what? I can't even unsubscribe from the daily emails!!! Access denied!
The site obviously, and apparently relatively recently, has been locked down to traffic from certain IP ranges/geographic location/whatever. You can keep banging your head against a wall demanding ANSWERS, but they are not going to change that policy for you. And what if the "answer" you demand is "yeah we aren't allowing traffic from there anymore. Sorry." Will that change anything? If you really WANT to shop JCP from Israel, use a VPN, or if you're there for work, perhaps your corporate office already has one in place and place your order from there. Getting spun up for a circumstance that is not intended for you "personally" is only going to irritate you more.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
All I am asking is for someone to offer an explanation - None has been forthcoming. Again, I am paying with their credit card and merchandise is being shipped to NY, not Israel.
You have received the only possible explanations and willl not accept them. JC Penny is a company that's been on the brink of bankruptcy before and will sell anything to anyone, trust me.

Why don't you call them on the phone to place your order since you said it will be delivered to NY? Seems faster that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
JCP isn't going to explain anything to you, I'm not sure why you'd expect them to. My colleagues have listed a huge number of possible reasons they won't take your order. We have laid out many different resolutions to your issue ... I'm confused that you don't try some of them. If you really want to order merchandise from Israel and have it sent to New York, why not do that?

Sep 19, 2015
Credit card fraud is a major source of loss for a company. A company may block access from certain areas to prevent fraud. For every legitimate purchaser like the OP, ordering from abroad, there will be 20 trying to defraud the company.

I remember getting a call from AmEx asking if I was trying to use my card in a store in Japan for a charge of over $4,000. I was sitting at home in NYC when they called. My card was in my wallet. Cloned card.

Last year I received an email notification that someone tried to charge my Visa over 1,000 at Best Buy online and another 3,000 from wayfair online. Card was in my wallet.

The potential loss to the company through fraud is likely greater than the gain from legitimate customers ordering from foreign IP addresses.

Numerous forums note that there is a problem ordering from many US companies from various foreign IP addresses -- Again all because of fraud concerns.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Thanks for posting this. My wife has been talking about doing this for a month after having someone get her online at a restaurant using his. We will look into this one.
A VPN is also a really good idea in the USA since Congress overturned the prohibitions on ISPs selling our browsing histories.

Mar 10, 2015
The article doesn't say how it works ... is it used on a phone or a laptop or either/both?
I sent this article to a friend of mine regarding what a VPN is and how it works as it's written for those that aren't into the technical part of the internet:
"What is VPN?":
http://whatismyipaddress.com/vpn

I use the VPN "Hotspot Shield" on my laptop, desktop and on my Smartphone and have for years to keep me safe, protect my information and hopefully help me avoid malware. Plus a VPN will keep you from being tracked, monitored, and identified by assigning you a temporary IP address.

In places like China with so much censorship, a VPN is essential for people to get to blocked websites like YouTube. With Hotspot Shield I can actually select what country I want my IP address to show from.

Sep 19, 2015
Michael Bean has given good info. Since certain IP addresses are blocked, one would want the address to show from the US to access the US sites. Changing the IP address from Israel to Thailand would not be helpful as IP addresses from Thailand are also often blocked from US commercial sites.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Uh, OK, I always wanted to create a "tunnel between my device and an exit point". And I would like my laptop to be more protected while travelling. The least someone could do is define V P N. That's not too technical, is it?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Uh, OK, I always wanted to create a "tunnel between my device and an exit point". And I would like my laptop to be more protected while travelling. The least someone could do is define V P N. That's not too technical, is it?
Virtual Private Network. My son set up mine so I have no real knowledge of how to do it but the first thing I always do is 'ask The Google.'

Aug 19, 2017
something doesn't make sense here. I had the same problem for months, couldn't access the website from Israel, but I use a foreign credit card and have my stuff shipped to an american address. Suddenly in June I could access it and I did, ordering things. Tonight I tried to get in to see something and again I am denied access. It's very strange as I could access it a month and a half ago! What's going on with JC penney this summer?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
To educate folks on what a VPN is:

You pay a nominal fee to have access to servers around the world. Your ISP, Internet Address Protocol, then reflects that servers location instead of yours. Additionally, since most if not all VPNs claim they don't keep a list of what websites you visit (unlike your ISP - this is how you get tailored ads), your browsing history is safe. It's also considered safer while traveling.

We don't know in the case if it's JCP doing the restricting, your ISP, or Israel, whatever way while it's frustrating the solution is a VPN, which isn't a bad idea anyway.

You can also use VPNs to view region restricted content, though the legality of this is debated.

I just used my vpn to connect through Israel and South Korea, denied both places. USA server - smooth as silk.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
To educate folks on what a VPN is:

You pay a nominal fee to have access to servers around the world. Your ISP, Internet Address Protocol, then reflects that servers location instead of yours. Additionally, since most if not all VPNs claim they don't keep a list of what websites you visit (unlike your ISP - this is how you get tailored ads), your browsing history is safe. It's also considered safer while traveling.

We don't know in the case if it's JCP doing the restricting, your ISP, or Israel, whatever way while it's frustrating the solution is a VPN, which isn't a bad idea anyway.

You can also use VPNs to view region restricted content, though the legality of this is debated.

I just used my vpn to connect through Israel and South Korea, denied both places. USA server - smooth as silk.
I'm a little confused - were you able to connect in Israel and S Korea with the VPN? It sounds like no. i thought using one you would be able to get online but guess not.