1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

JCPenney denies me access to their website because I am in Israel

Discussion in 'Retailers' started by Rozanne Polansky, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Christina H

I have read that US companies are blocking overseas IP addresses due to hacking and credit card fraud issues. Being sent emails is completely different from accessing the site from a foreign IP address.

Neil and Mel65 like this.
  2. Rozanne Polansky

Guess what? I can't even unsubscribe from the daily emails!!! Access denied!

3. Just A Guy

It sounds like they block people from ordering using US addresses and US credit cards when the address on the computer shows that they're out of the country. This is not unusual, and it's often done as a fraud prevention measure. If you think about it, a scenario where someone who's located in another country, but using a US credit card to ship products to a US address, is rather unusual.

Again, I suggest you use a VPN, which would make it appear that your computer is in the US, and should solve the problem. If you're not going to do that, could you explain why that's not an option for you? Or, could you have someone located in the US place the order?

Neil and TropicalRichmond like this.
  4. Mel65

The site obviously, and apparently relatively recently, has been locked down to traffic from certain IP ranges/geographic location/whatever. You can keep banging your head against a wall demanding ANSWERS, but they are not going to change that policy for you. And what if the "answer" you demand is "yeah we aren't allowing traffic from there anymore. Sorry." Will that change anything? If you really WANT to shop JCP from Israel, use a VPN, or if you're there for work, perhaps your corporate office already has one in place and place your order from there. Getting spun up for a circumstance that is not intended for you "personally" is only going to irritate you more.

Patina, jsn55, ADM and 4 others like this.
  5. AAGK

You have received the only possible explanations and willl not accept them. JC Penny is a company that's been on the brink of bankruptcy before and will sell anything to anyone, trust me.

Why don't you call them on the phone to place your order since you said it will be delivered to NY? Seems faster that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
    Mel65 and jsn55 like this.
  6. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

JCP isn't going to explain anything to you, I'm not sure why you'd expect them to. My colleagues have listed a huge number of possible reasons they won't take your order. We have laid out many different resolutions to your issue ... I'm confused that you don't try some of them. If you really want to order merchandise from Israel and have it sent to New York, why not do that?

Mel65 likes this.
  7. Christina H

Credit card fraud is a major source of loss for a company. A company may block access from certain areas to prevent fraud. For every legitimate purchaser like the OP, ordering from abroad, there will be 20 trying to defraud the company.

I remember getting a call from AmEx asking if I was trying to use my card in a store in Japan for a charge of over $4,000. I was sitting at home in NYC when they called. My card was in my wallet. Cloned card.

Last year I received an email notification that someone tried to charge my Visa over 1,000 at Best Buy online and another 3,000 from wayfair online. Card was in my wallet.

The potential loss to the company through fraud is likely greater than the gain from legitimate customers ordering from foreign IP addresses.

Numerous forums note that there is a problem ordering from many US companies from various foreign IP addresses -- Again all because of fraud concerns.

jsn55, Neil, Just A Guy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rozanne Polansky

Thanks to all those who contributed. Tell an old lady what a VPN is and how you get it.

9. Just A Guy

10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

11. technomage1

Staff Member Forum Director

A VPN is also a really good idea in the USA since Congress overturned the prohibitions on ISPs selling our browsing histories.

Neil likes this.
  12. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

13. Just A Guy

Both. Basically, it creates a tunnel between your device and an exit point, which can be in one of multiple countries.

14. Michael Bean

I sent this article to a friend of mine regarding what a VPN is and how it works as it's written for those that aren't into the technical part of the internet:
    "What is VPN?":
    http://whatismyipaddress.com/vpn

I use the VPN "Hotspot Shield" on my laptop, desktop and on my Smartphone and have for years to keep me safe, protect my information and hopefully help me avoid malware. Plus a VPN will keep you from being tracked, monitored, and identified by assigning you a temporary IP address.

In places like China with so much censorship, a VPN is essential for people to get to blocked websites like YouTube. With Hotspot Shield I can actually select what country I want my IP address to show from.

Neil likes this.
  15. Christina H

Michael Bean has given good info. Since certain IP addresses are blocked, one would want the address to show from the US to access the US sites. Changing the IP address from Israel to Thailand would not be helpful as IP addresses from Thailand are also often blocked from US commercial sites.