Is Viking Ocean Cruises trying to "fleece" their customers?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Again, to everyone who tried to help me I appreciate your help. I again contacted Viking by email and they have agreed to upgrade our cabin category, but took away the OBC. I agreed to that because the upgrade was worth more and made more sense. They won't do anything about paying for the one night hotel stay prior to the cruise, but did explain why we lost our transfers even though I booked my airline reservations through them. I won't say I'm pleased, but I am appeased and feel better about taking the cruise now.

For any future vacation plans, I will definitely use a travel agent, but also will keep my eye on this forum. It was very helpful.
From a travel agent - there are far better river cruise lines than Viking that are much more customer oriented and offer more inclusions for your cruise price than Viking. Use one of them in the future. Even if you had booked with a travel agent - Viking is no more friendly to travel agents than they were to you.

From a travel agent - there are far better river cruise lines than Viking that are much more customer oriented and offer more inclusions for your cruise price than Viking. Use one of them in the future. Even if you had booked with a travel agent - Viking is no more friendly to travel agents than they were to you.
I think @Linda C. was booked on an ocean cruise, not a river cruise. Travel & Leisure, among others, rated Viking's Ocean cruises number 1 in 2016 and 2017- - much higher than their river cruises. Unfortunately both River and Ocean have the same intransigent, inflexible management at their home office.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think @Linda C. was booked on an ocean cruise, not a river cruise. Travel & Leisure, among others, rated Viking's Ocean cruises number 1 in 2016 and 2017- - much higher than their river cruises. Unfortunately both River and Ocean have the same intransigent, inflexible management at their home office.
That’s the point- it doesn’t matter if it’s river or ocean- the customer service is the same company who is very inflexible. There are also plenty of other ocean lines that are luxury and value your business more than Viking.