Is AA responsible for a website issue?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 13, 2017
On May 23 in the evening, I was trying to find the cheapest one-way flight from Lima, Peru to Harrisburg, PA; I had to be present to sign bank papers for an equity loan for a home my partner & I am remodeling. I was talking to him at 9 pm to coordinate our schedules; I had found a cheap flight that would work for both of us.
I tried to get online with AA, but the website had problems & I wasn't able to log on. I tried up to 2 am the next day & finally had to get some sleep. The next morning I woke up early & tried again. This time the AA website was working properly, but the special price was no longer available. The best price was considerably higher.
I used your contact info & sent an email to the man in charge of AA customer relations with copies of two emails I sent AA to advise them of the issue. He has not replied to date.
Can you help me - please?
PS - is a website problem something a business should be responsible for if there is a problem?

Sep 19, 2015
Usually one has to call at the time of the website issue and tell the rep want the flights and prices are. I have had the telephone service fee waived when this happens.

It is hard to prove later that there was an issue and even harder to prove what fare was available when.

If I am traveling and want to call the US for little cost I use Skype or something similar.

May 13, 2017
Usually one has to call at the time of the website issue and tell the rep want the flights and prices are. I have had the telephone service fee waived when this happens.

It is hard to prove later that there was an issue and even harder to prove what fare was available when.

If I am traveling and want to call the US for little cost I use Skype or something similar.

May 13, 2017
I did note the prices previous to AA's website going "down". In my 2 emails to AA at the time, I also mentioned this. I didn't realize there was a telephone service fee. How much is it if I may ask. I am upset that Sean Bentel from AA never replied to my emails. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2015
In the US I think the fee is $25 for domestic ticket and $35 for international.

The problem with emailing after the fact is that it is hard to prove that one was willing and able to spend the money when the website was down. It may look like regret when fare went up.

I am not sure why there was no response.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I did note the prices previous to AA's website going "down". In my 2 emails to AA at the time, I also mentioned this. I didn't realize there was a telephone service fee. How much is it if I may ask. I am upset that Sean Bentel from AA never replied to my emails. Thanks.
They may have had one or two seats at the price you saw that booked up by the time you were able to access. They may have been updating the site when you tried to access it.

Unfortunately- you should have picked up the phone and called when you couldn’t get online. All it takes is one person buying that seat and the price could be gone.

If you can not access the website- CALL. They will waive fees if the website is down.

I’ve had flight price change while I was booking the flight- flight prices are dynamic. If someone is online hits the buy button 2 seconds before you- the seat price can be gone.

I’m afraid you don’t have any way to get that flight price back.