Is a Visa required to visit Beijing

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 21, 2018
A trip is planned departing FL via Delta airlines to Atlanta - Tokyo arriving in Singapore. We will reside in Singapore for two and a half days. We then sail via Royal Carribbean to Vietnam, Hong Kong arriving in Tianjin on the 26th @ 6:00am. Our plan is to travel to Beijing and depart on the 29th @ 5:15pm. We have not secured tours in Singapore or Beijing as of yet. Royal Caribbean has stated we do not need Visas, however we are concerned about the stay in Beijing. I have read about the 72 hour rule and we will be there longer than 72 hours. Having a difficult time locating a definite yes or no answer to purchasing a visa. We made plans without the help of a travel agent.

If someone has anot answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Lorraine

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you going to Beijing with the cruise line or on your own? Sometimes if with a cruise line they obtain the visa. But on your own- yes you need a visa to travel to China. I was just in Beijing and the China Visa process was the most difficult one (besides Brazil) I have ever gone through.

You will also need an itinerary from a tour company to get a visa too. That has to be attached with the Visa application as you need to list hotels you are in. The itinerary has to show the names of all passengers and a list of hotels and activities.

We were traveling there at the request of the Chinese Tourism Department and many of our group had a terrible time with the process. Some didn’t get their visa in time or were rejected and couldn’t travel at all

Give yourself at least 6 weeks to get it done. We used CIBT Visa and not only did it cost us a fortune- they sat on the application until 2 weeks before our trip, they made mistakes on the requirements and the first time the app was rejected and we didn’t get the visas until 4 days before we left. Talk about tension- I personally wouldn’t use them again.

In hindsight we should have just gone to the Embassy- those of our friends that did had a much easier time and no mistakes.

Jan 21, 2018
Are you going to Beijing with the cruise line or on your own? Sometimes if with a cruise line they obtain the visa. But on your own- yes you need a visa to travel to China. I was just in Beijing and the China Visa process was the most difficult one (besides Brazil) I have ever gone through.

You will also need an itinerary from a tour company to get a visa too. That has to be attached with the Visa application as you need to list hotels you are in. The itinerary has to show the names of all passengers and a list of hotels and activities.

We were traveling there at the request of the Chinese Tourism Department and many of our group had a terrible time with the process. Some didn’t get their visa in time or were rejected and couldn’t travel at all

Give yourself at least 6 weeks to get it done. We used CIBT Visa and not only did it cost us a fortune- they sat on the application until 2 weeks before our trip, they made mistakes on the requirements and the first time the app was rejected and we didn’t get the visas until 4 days before we left. Talk about tension- I personally wouldn’t use them again.

In hindsight we should have just gone to the Embassy- those of our friends that did had a much easier time and no mistakes.

We (10 of us) will no longer be with the cruise line.
So, we will be making our way via tour guide, not yet determined.

Thank you so much for the answer and your experience will help guide us in the visa process.

Lorraine

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We (10 of us) will no longer be with the cruise line.
So, we will be making our way via tour guide, not yet determined.

Thank you so much for the answer and your experience will help guide us in the visa process.

Lorraine
Good luck. If you can make it to Xian - I highly recommend going to see the TerraCotta Warriors. I wasn't overly interested in seeing them - I was more interested in going to the Great Wall - but was captivated by the Terra Cotta Warriors. I was fascinated by the entire story and the detail and actually seeing how painstakingly the ones that were damaged in a revolt are being put together.

Also - if you can get tickets to see the Golden Mask Dynasty Show - go. It was one of the most amazing shows I have ever seen.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would suggest visiting www.travel.state.gov for the latest visa requirements and any travel alerts. Be advised that it notes you need at least 6 months validity on your passport to enter the country.

The only two regions I recall as not requiring a visa are Hong Kong and Shanghai under the 72 hour rule.
Thats correct.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Due to the complexities of international documentation requirements, travel providers normally place the responsibility of having the correct travel documents on the traveler.

I've found the below two sites useful in determine entry requirements (if flying):

Keep in mind, the terms of use for both these sites do state they provide no liability for outdated or incorrect information. It would probably be advisable to also go directly to the source and verify the requirements with Embassy of China.

Sep 19, 2015
Dwayne has given good advice, to go to the consular affairs of the country one wants to visit.
Another reason to consider a visa when visiting the China-- flexibility in case the flight is cancelled and one of offered a flight with a domestic connection -- such as Beijing to Shanghai to the US.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
When I visted China I went to Beijing and Xian. I used a travel agent. They were able to book everything for less than a separate booking, and got me a driver and translator/guide as well. They also took care of getting the visa for me. It saved me a lot of aggravation, money and time, so that might be something your group would want to look into.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When I visted China I went to Beijing and Xian. I used a travel agent. They were able to book everything for less than a separate booking, and got me a driver and translator/guide as well. They also took care of getting the visa for me. It saved me a lot of aggravation, money and time, so that might be something your group would want to look into.
A translator is an absolute must. We had a problem coming home with our luggage causing alarms to go off. The luggage kept getting out through, set off an alarm and being pulled back again. We had no way to communicate with the agents to try to figure out what we had that kept setting it off. Luckily our guide had stayed with us and got them to let the luggage go.

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
If I were going to China - yes - I would get one - technically you can have up to 72 hours on a border pass - but you never know what might happen - I would have a visa before going to China - and I would get a multiple entry one just in case.