iphone6s unexpected battery shutdown and battery replacement

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2018
I have an iphone 6s. The battery died last month and my son took it to the Apple store to get a replacement. At the time we were unaware that there were known issues with the batteries of the 6s, so we were just going to pay for a new battery. Service at the Apple store was terrible, my son told them the phone was totally dead, so he would wait his turn at the store. But instead of announcing his name when it was his turn they texted me on another phone, which was useless since I was at home. Long story, but they gave his spot away because "he wasn't replying to their text." He finally left the store without repair after 2 hrs. We took the phone to a local store that repairs phones and got a new battery put in. The next week I learned that some of the 6s phones that were manufactured during a certain time were affected with unexpected battery shutdowns. See https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/ After a very unsuccesful phone conversation with apple service I emailed tcook@apple.com. A few days later I got a phone call and an email from Robert Cooper in Executive Relations. After sending him the serial # from my phone and a copy of my receipt from having the battery replace, he did acknowledge that my phone was one that was affected, and so eligible for a free battery replacement. However, the store that replaced the battery was not "apple authorized." The above link states that if you've already paid to replace your battery you should contact apple for a refund. Even though I tried unsuccessfully to have the repair done at the Apple Store, which is the only Apple authorized store anywhere near me, and wasted time and gas doing this, Apple refuses to reimburse me for the battery because it wasn't done at an Apple authorized store. The only offer I receive was to spend $100 at their apple online store within the next 30 days. This is unacceptable. I don't want any of their Apple Products. Apple needs to stand by their products and keep their word. The bottom line is their battery was defective and they need to reimburse the cost of replacement.

Sep 19, 2015
Wow this is a mess. The problem with having some local guy on the corner put in a battery is that the company (Apple) has no idea how good the repair person is and if he used a bootleg battery or messed up in anyway, If the repairman was an authorized service person then Apple could hold them accountable if there was anything improper done.

How did Apple get the number of the other phone?

Honestly I think the $100 credit is fair. Can you use it at the itunes store? No use for headphones or other accessories?

When there is a recall or notice of defective part most companies have a protocol for repair/replacement.

As for the link above Apple does not recommend going to a non authorized repair place:

Please call your service provider to confirm that battery replacement service is available on the day you visit them.

• Apple Authorized Service Provider - Find one here.
  • Apple Retail Store - Make an appointment here.
  • Apple Technical Support - Contact us.
You can ask for reconsideration by writing to contacts but as the first email went to the CEO I am not sure how well that will work.

Jan 16, 2018
Wow this is a mess. The problem with having some local guy on the corner put in a battery is that the company (Apple) has no idea how good the repair person is and if he used a bootleg battery or messed up in anyway, If the repairman was an authorized service person then Apple could hold them accountable if there was anything improper done.

How did Apple get the number of the other phone?

Honestly I think the $100 credit is fair. Can you use it at the itunes store? No use for headphones or other accessories?

When there is a recall or notice of defective part most companies have a protocol for repair/replacement.

As for the link above Apple does not recommend going to a non authorized repair place:

Please call your service provider to confirm that battery replacement service is available on the day you visit them.

• Apple Authorized Service Provider - Find one here.
  • Apple Retail Store - Make an appointment here.
  • Apple Technical Support - Contact us.
You can ask for reconsideration by writing to contacts but as the first email went to the CEO I am not sure how well that will work.

Jan 16, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to read this and provide input. Just to clarify this a little more, the phone was not under warranty, and hasn't been for quite some time. That is why I don't understand the reasoning of only qualifying for a battery refund if the work was done at an Apple certified store. It seems like Apple is using this as an excuse to not reimburse me for the battery. I see no logic in the Apple certified clause if the phone is not under warranty. The store that I took it to is very reputable, and highly recommended. They did install a battery from Apple and their work is guaranteed for the life of the phone.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@CYNDEE As you stated, the phone was out of warranty. The offer was for them to replace the battery for free or refund work they had performed. Considering that a non-apple repair may violate the terms of use for your phone (there's a debate on this), the cost of an Apple replacement is only $79 and you've already written the CEO, this is probably the best offer you're going to get. I'm not sure where you would appeal to next.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to read this and provide input. Just to clarify this a little more, the phone was not under warranty, and hasn't been for quite some time. That is why I don't understand the reasoning of only qualifying for a battery refund if the work was done at an Apple certified store. It seems like Apple is using this as an excuse to not reimburse me for the battery. I see no logic in the Apple certified clause if the phone is not under warranty. The store that I took it to is very reputable, and highly recommended. They did install a battery from Apple and their work is guaranteed for the life of the phone.

Cyndee the company only wants to pay for a proper new battery given by an authorized place because they have no idea if some random store put in a used battery, a bootleg battery, or something of the sort. This has nothing to do with the warranty. There are knock off bad products (especially batteries and chargers) available in the market that are cheap but cause damage. The company does not want to support or reimburse for those. Apple has no idea how legitimate the repair place is and likely does not want to spend the time to find out.

As an aside I know someone that forgot their charger and bought a fake apple one on the street in New York. It shorted out the phone.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Christina has given a very good explanation of Apple's policy. Taking anything outside the procedures and policies of the manufacturer is your prerogative, of course, but you need to know the consequences before you do so.

After an awful experience at the age of 23, I've never let a dealership touch my vehicle; I have a terrific mechanic and if he diagnoses and repairs it, it's repaired. But I'm very aware that I may or may not have voided my warranty. Thankfully, I've never needed to find out.

The shop you took your phone to (after a disgraceful experience at the Apple store) is probably far more capable than the Apple service ... your payoff is knowing that the phone is fixed. And if it's not, the shop will stand behind their work. That is worth a great deal to me when it comes to important things like my phone or my truck.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I had a ridiculously obnoxious situation with Apple a few years ago when I wanted them to replace the battery on my iPod. They 1) wanted me to mail them my iPod, and 2) would send me "an iPod with a new battery." Not MY iPod, some random one they picked out of a box somewhere. Great big disclaimer saying "The contents of your iPod will not be transferred." So, essentially, I'm getting someone else's used iPod and all my music, playlists, etc. would be wiped out. I found a local guy who replaced the battery and - miracle! - did not lose so much as "Row row row your boat" from my music .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I had just replaced the battery on my Iphone6 2 months before they announced this mess. I had the battery replaced at the Apple store and they wouldn't refund me for the battery. It wasn't worth the time it would take me to fight for $79.

Jan 16, 2018
I had just replaced the battery on my Iphone6 2 months before they announced this mess. I had the battery replaced at the Apple store and they wouldn't refund me for the battery. It wasn't worth the time it would take me to fight for $79.
That's so awful! Apple's customer service has become the worst. There will be no new Apple products in my family or extended family.

Apple makes great computers and laptops, especially if you rely on your computer for graphics. Their iPhones have some great features, particularly their cameras. But, as I've said before, Apple has cleverly and intentionally developed a cult following so they can sell their overpriced products. I'll stick with my Windows computers and Android phones, thank you.