iPhone Forever Scam Warning

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 4, 2017
I bought my current iPhone under the iPhone forever plan, which was advertised as the customer leasing the iPhone (so they never own it) but being able to upgrade whenever they want to the newest iPhone.

What Sprint does not tell you, and what makes this a scam, is what I discovered when I went to upgrade to the iPhone 8.

When I started the iPhone Forever program, I leased a iPhone 6S, at a rate of $20/month, with a $10/month "credit"- effectively $10/month.

To upgrade to the equivalent iPhone 8, I would have to return my leased phone, and pay an additional $20 per month- total of $30 per month.

This isn't just sour grapes- with the release of the iPhone 8, Sprint is heavily marketing the iPhone forever option- I am hoping people will be aware!

tl:dr iPhone forever allows you to upgrade sooner, but doesn't disclose that your lease payment will significantly increase with every new iPhone.

I bought my current iPhone under the iPhone forever plan, which was advertised as the customer leasing the iPhone (so they never own it) but being able to upgrade whenever they want to the newest iPhone.

What Sprint does not tell you, and what makes this a scam, is what I discovered when I went to upgrade to the iPhone 8.

When I started the iPhone Forever program, I leased a iPhone 6S, at a rate of $20/month, with a $10/month "credit"- effectively $10/month.

To upgrade to the equivalent iPhone 8, I would have to return my leased phone, and pay an additional $20 per month- total of $30 per month.

This isn't just sour grapes- with the release of the iPhone 8, Sprint is heavily marketing the iPhone forever option- I am hoping people will be aware!

tl:dr iPhone forever allows you to upgrade sooner, but doesn't disclose that your lease payment will significantly increase with every new iPhone.
Expecting to upgrade whenever a new iPhone is released [as long as you have made 12 monthly payments] and not see a possible increase in your monthly lease payments on the new iPhone I believe is a bit unrealistic. If the new iPhone you upgrade to is more expensive than the one you are turning in, your monthly lease payments will go up. By what I interpret your logic as, once the iPhone 10 comes out, and you decide to upgrade to this $1000+ phone, you would expect the monthly payment to remain the same as on the $650 iPhone you are turning in? Read the small print on the Sprint website or on the agreement you signed, you will see that the new lease payments are based on the phone you are upgrading to. You might be able to convince them to continue to keep that $10 mo promotional credit somehow, but expecting a new more expensive phone at the same rate is not in the cards IMHO.

Aug 13, 2016
I purchased an iPhone 6S in May 2016 and have the 24 month zero interest payment plan of $36.50 per month. Its a good phone and reasonable arrangement. When the iPhone 8 just came out, Apple contacted me about upgrading to it and my payments would actually be slightly less. After thinking about it though, I would be going up whatever equity I have in the phone. For me, it is better to wait until I have it paid off next spring, wait for an 8S and then trade in the 6S for a substantial amount or sell it on eBay. Point is that when one keeps having over their phones in an upgrade plan they are giving up the value of what they already have.

May 4, 2017
Expecting to upgrade whenever a new iPhone is released [as long as you have made 12 monthly payments] and not see a possible increase in your monthly lease payments on the new iPhone I believe is a bit unrealistic.
It might be unrealistic, but that was what was advertised. Plus, generally (this new iPhoneX is admittedly different) the iPhone prices have been relatively stable- I wouldn't expect (on this program) to upgrade from an iPhone 6S 32GB ($650 originally) to the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB ($969 originally) and not see a price increase.

I would expect (under this iPhone forever- always have the latest! program) to be able to upgrade from the iPhone 6S 32GB ($650 originally) to the iPhone 7 32GB ($650 originally) or even to the iPhone 8 64GB (I know- gig increase- but still the lowest tier, and $699, or just $50 more) without seeing a payment increase.

Yes- I know somewhere in the fine print they probably spelled out what a sucker I was- that's why I'm not asking for anyone to advocate for me, I'm just throwing this out there so hopefully the next guy thinks twice about this "deal."