1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

INVALID CHARGES UPON LEAVING AT&T

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by Sterling, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Sterling

On 2 March 2017 I called AT&T to request cancellation of my account as I was moving to Verizon. I asked the representative to cancel my account. I wanted to question her on billing. As to whether or not the billing was in advance and if in fact there was any type of prorating that needed to be considered. She told me that my billing cycle ended on the 4th and that my bill would be closed out at that time. Which should have left me with a balance of something like $70 due to a phone that had been ordered previously on my account that still had a balance that needed settling. I even gave her a number to reach me if there were any questions. I noticed about 10 days ago that I was still getting data on one of my tablets and that I should probably follow up with AT&T to determine what the situation was with the account. When I spoke to the representative on the 18th of March she told me she would assist me. After a bit of a wait she told me that my account had not been closed and that there was a balance. Her explanation of it was that the data plan I had, had shifted to my tablets. Although I was annoyed at this I told her I was a reasonable person and I could see paying for the portion of data that had been used. I figured how much could that be since the data moved to the tablets (according to the representative). She tells me I owe amount I owe is $527.37. I say how is that possible? I was current when I requested my account to be closed on the 2nd of March how is it on March 18th I owe twice as much as my usual bill had I stayed with AT&T? This didn’t and does not make sense. I told her I did not understand this. She said there was nothing indicative of my requesting to close my account. I told her I called in and asked for my account to be closed and I didn’t have the power to make those notations on the account, but that it appeared to me that someone did not do that. I told her I could understand it if I had attempted something like this online and didn’t make the request, but I called AT&T and asked the office that does that to close my account. I asked to speak to her supervisor whereupon I was told the same thing. I asked how did it make sense for me to call in only to cancel the phones and not the entire account since I was going to Verizon? The supervisor just indicated that she could see where I was coming from but the charges were valid. I was told they would close my account at that time, but the charges were valid. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she indicated it would be about 48 hours for someone to contact me. To date I have not been contacted.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Do you have the names of both of the people you spoke to and dates and times of the calls? If you can get the date and time off your bill, you can prove you called.

Use our company contacts and write to Customer Service. Give them a week to reply, if they don't or won't help you, move to the first executive listed. Give him a week to reply, if not a satisfactory reply, repeat weekly moving up the chain.

Your experience is exactly why we advise to do everything in writing- then there are no misunderstandings.

jsn55 and John Galbraith like this.
  3. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Hi @Sterling - There are others here far more knowledgeable about phone and data plans than I, but please let me offer some basic information.

At this point, cease calling and put all your contacts in writing. This creates a paper trail, which (as you already know) can be important.

I just saw that my colleague @Neil posted, with similar advice to what I was about to offer. Write, request, and followup:

For your convenience, here's the contact info we have for AT&T (it's AT&T Mobility....right?) http://elliott.org/company-contacts/att-mobility/

I agree that your $527 bill is unacceptable, so please start the email trail right away ... and let us know what transpires.

jsn55 and John Galbraith like this.
  4. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

If the att has record that you called they should be able to pull up the audio so that you and anyone else can listen to the call that you actually made. Att may have even video recorded the screen as the call was happening, but they definitely audio recorded it and they keep these recordings for years. Call back and insist they review the audio of the call WITH you.
    Dunt take no for an answer, they absolutely do this.

Neil likes this.
  5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

My colleagues have all given you good advice, but unless you have unlimited time to be on the phone with ATT requesting their audio records, I advise you to put this all in writing. ATT is almost impossible to deal with, their agents seem to all have different stories for you, there's no continuity and you end up repeating yourself countless times ... until you give up. This is what they're counting on. Prepare a list of the facts in chronological order and tell them how you want this handled. If you do your best and they are still giving you the runaround, a letter to the PUC will do wonders to get your problem solved.

6. Sanjeev Goyal

I have the similar case.... I moved to metro pcs...told them on 6th March that I am moving to Metro pcs....my billing cycle is up to 28th Of every month, so they raise an advance bill on 28th Feb for 118$... when I requested them to move to metro pcs....they told me we'll credit it in next bill but now along with equipment charges they have sent a bill of 480$(350$ equipment charges+ 118$ last bill charges).

7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

What are the equipment charges for? Isn't it your own cell phone?

8. Sanjeev Goyal

Yes...this phone is on easy monthly instalment scheme....I am ready to pay for the equipment charges...only issue is the charges for the services which I have not used

9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Was your contract up?

10. Sanjeev Goyal

I took IPhone 7 with 200$ down payment in Oct., 2016. Since then I am paying them around 19$ per month as equipment charges and now in March, I switched to Metro Pcs and they have put the leftover equipment charges in the bill, which is fine with me, I am willing to pay this, but they are asking for 118$ as advance payment for 28th Feb., 2017 to 28th March, 2017, whereas I have used there services only upto 6th March as I switched over to Metro PCs.

11. Realitoes

Was your Service Commitment completed, if so, did you give them the required 30 days notice?

"After your Service Commitment ends and you are on a month-to-month Agreement, you may terminate your Agreement at any time with 30 days notice without incurring an ETF. If you sign a new Agreement before the end of the term of your existing Agreement and terminate that new Agreement within 14 days as allowed above, you agree that you will be bound by the terms and conditions of your existing Agreement including fulfillment of any remaining Service Commitment thereunder."

Neil likes this.
  12. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I think Realitoes may have found your issue.

13. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

And I was under the impression (I'm an ATT customer) that when I replaced my old iPhone with my new 7plus that that action automatically extended my contract for an additional 2yrs from that date. So for the OP from Dec 2016 wouldn't that push the contract to Dec 2018?

Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't really pay attn as I didn't care if mine was extended. Where I live we have few options.

But at the very least it sound like the Writer did not meet the 30 day notice requirement.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  14. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If you are going to a different carrier and you are still in a contract with that carrier there may be termination fees