Insurance Pre-Existing Condition

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 26, 2017
Purchased travel insurance "cancel for any reason" and for pre-existing condition. Was only partially reimbursed but not for pre-existing condition even tho assured I met waiver clause prior to purchase. Advice on appealing? Submitted medical evidence. Even had surgery 2 weeks ago. Insurance won't provide rationale in writing.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This will take a little legwork on your part. First, review all the policy information to determine what amount you should have been reimbursed. Did you make notes while you were buying the policy? Specifically, the name of the agent who told you that your PEC was covered. Otherwise it becomes the dreaded "he said, she said" scenario.

Sep 26, 2017
This will take a little legwork on your part. First, review all the policy information to determine what amount you should have been reimbursed. Did you make notes while you were buying the policy? Specifically, the name of the agent who told you that your PEC was covered. Otherwise it becomes the dreaded "he said, she said" scenario.

Sep 26, 2017
Yes, I kept notes, names, dates and have an email trail. Unfortunately , they have only orally told me that the pre-existing condition clause was denied . They said since I received partial reimbursement they don't provide written explanation . I requested a written rationale .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Without knowing about your medical condition; whether you booked the insurance within the correct time frame to have the pre-ex condition covered and the specifics of the policy- we can't comment. You are giving a generalized statement and not even telling us what company the policy is from.

Unless you want to give us all the details- we can't comment on why you were declined.

Sep 26, 2017
I emailed an appeal on Monday and spoke to someone at the insurance call center indicating that I was stunned that the pre-existing portion of the claim was denied since I had booked the insurance timely and met the clause. I told the call rep that I felt compelled to write a review describing my experience on their website and another recourse.

This morning I received a call from the insurance company that they had reconsidered my claim and were fully reimbursing. They sent it in writing too.

Thanks to all who responded.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sometimes they do make mistakes with claims. You have every right to appeal a denial but they have to send you the results in writing. If they don't you have an issue you can file a complaint with your state insurance dept.

Glad they relooked at it and you prevailed. Can I ask what insurance company it was?