Insurance policy given back

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 11, 2018
I bought a travel ticket from Expedia on January 10th 2018 as well as the Total Protection Plan which was 66 dollars. When I made a claim for a refund for my ticket and my insurance claim, I recived my insurance money back????????Is this legal?When I bought the policy and went on my trip, I thought I was insured. Is it legal just to return someone the policy once a claim is made?

My second question is-Expedia sold me a return ticket $1.090, 26 but I have never made it to destination as I was not allowed to enter three consecutive Qatar Airways flights:
1. First one as I was told I was late which is not true
2. The next flight in the morning as I was accused again of missing the flight -and that was when I was taking a photo of the Qatar Airways screen which was not working but passengers were boarding
3. The third flihght next evening because the attendant told me she does not know how much the penalty is and they do not accept cash or credit card payments

I then returned back to Botswana by sending a friend to pay BWP3,000 as the attendants told me that the system is down and again I cannot pay by card OR cash.

Expedia wanted to return to me only 100 dollars. When I said I will hire a lawyer they said they will refund me 344 dollars more. When I asked about my insurance-they sent me back my 66 dollars alhough I never asked for my money back. I wanted to be refunded for 48 hours being at the airport without food, hotel, water, hygiene and anything else. In the transit area in OR Tambo International there is no shop, no food, no water, noi atm, no swiping machine, no money exchange, no nothing.

I feel violated. I would like someone to advise me of how I can get my $1.090,26 back and the BWP 3,000 that I spent so that I can buy a new ticket.

Jan 6, 2015
You can use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to present your case. Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the initial Company Contacts page first.

When you do, I suggest you clear up some of your statements. For example, it seems you missed the boarding times for the first two flights (usually 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure). For the third flight you missed, you say there was a penalty of some sort. Make sure you tell Expedia what that penalty was for.

And on the subject of the 48 hours at O.R. Tambo International "without food, hotel, water, hygiene and anything else", I see that this airport "is Africa's biggest and busiest airport, facilitating approximately 20 million passengers a year". It seems unlikely that you could not find any of the things you needed, so that will require explanation as well ...

Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry but I do not really understand what happened. How was the first Qatar flight missed? Was there a late incoming connection? Qatar shuts down boarding at least 20 minutes prior to departure, and depending on the flight, often starts boarding earlier and flight closes more than 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure. As for the second missed flight why take photos of the Qatar airline screen when passengers are boarding? Why not board?

Did the OP ever enter South Africa or was all of this in the secure side of the airport?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We need to know the whole story here. Why did you request a ticket refund? Did you miss your flight? Were you at the airport at least 3 hours before your flight left and were you checked in within 1 hour of the flights departure?

If you missed a flight you have to buy a new one - its not refundable in 99% of cases if you bought a non refundable ticket. And insurance doesn't cover anything if you miss your flight so you probably are not due any refund.

Please tell us EXACTLY what happened.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
jelena, your story is complex and we are having difficulty grasping all the details. Would you please make a concise list of the facts in chronological order for us? We can help you once we understand exactly what happened. Everything in travel revolves around the details, so our advice needs to be based on exactly what happened.

Feb 11, 2018
Hi everyone, I saw your messages. I understand that OR Tambo is a busy Airport but in the transit area where I was 48 hours there is no atm, no money exchange, no restaurant, no shop, no free internet longer than 20 minutes, no water, no nothing, no doctor, no security, no check in machine which is in operation, no one at the information desk, no supervisors (they are upstairs where people who are in transit are not allowed) It is writen that if you see something suspicious you should call the police?How when no one sims card is working there? I attached here everything that I went through and I am still being violated by the people who do not see absolutely anything wrong that after 48 hours just because my fiancee helped me I came back to Botswana like an idiot.

Sep 19, 2015
I only took a quick glance but here are some thoughts:

There are some service issues at the airport but getting a resolution is hindered by several issues.

Too much hyperbole --words like unprecedented etc are unnecessary.

Accusing someone of sexual harassment over the fingerprinting-- all transit and arriving foreign passengers must get fingerprinted the first time entering SA -- that is why not everyone was being fingerprinted.

Did you already have a boarding pass to Doha? Why go to Air Botswana ticket agent when the next flight was operated by Qatar?

BA ticketing agents cannot help you. They do not have access to the computer system of another airline to see what sort of ticket you have and cannot change.

Did you ever call Qatar airlines or Expedia in addition to your mother?

Did you do any research into the wifi at the airport and the limits (they have MB limits and time limits). Did you try to buy more wifi access? It is available for a fee.

Did you buy the tickets from the Expedia US website and that is why a policy was offered for US residents? If so that is why the policy premium was returned.

As a female I always carry an emergency hygiene products in my purse, whether traveling by train or plane.

What I would suggest is to start over and write a short polite note asking for a refund for a trip in vain, that delays at security and transit immigration caused a missed flight.

What I see is an mess caused by an inexperienced traveler and a less than ideal booking -- short international connection without understanding that even first time transit passengers are fingerprinted and photographed, going to ask BA agents to help when they had nothing to do ... and an airport that is not highly staffed

This is not a tragedy. A tragedy is the Russian airliner crashing outside of Moscow and everyone being killed.

Sep 19, 2015
I just tried to do a test booking on Expedia; I do not know the routing given to the OP, but I was given a three hour 15 min layover in JBE. Also on the US site for Expedia one has to click through the links to look at the AIG Travelguard, which then shows that the policy is only for residents of the US and that the coverage varies by state.

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
I then tried a test booking on Expedia.com.au for a domestic flight in Australia, and the information is clear in that the insurance is only for residents of Australia. I would not be eligible for it. The Australian Expedia site is more clear in comaprison to the US site.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Also wifi info -- 4 hours or 1 gb of data, whichever comes first, http://www.airports.co.za/airports/or-tambo-international/the-airport/shops-facilities/wi-fi

Get 4 hours free* Wi-Fi at all Airports Company South Africa airports

Airports Company South Africa has launched a free Wi-Fi service for passengers in the boarding areas of its nine airports. Users of the service will have either 4 hours of Wi-Fi connection or 1gig of data available at no charge. Once the 4 hours have lapsed, or 1gig of data is reached, users will be invited to top up the facility on a pay-as-you-go basis. This complimentary service is provided as a value-add to enhance the passenger experience at each of the company’s airports and entrench the position of Airports Company South Africa as a world-class airport owner and operator.

Jan 6, 2015
I took the time to convert your information to bullet points so it is more easily read, but it is still too long to post here. I have attached it to this post as a PDF for you and others to read as desired. The Staff and/or Verified Users here will correct me if I misstate any conclusions and, of course, offer thoughts of their own.

Several things stood out to me as I was reformatting:
  • Expedia seems to have booked you improperly. They allotted approximately one hour for an international connection, and you state you had roughly 45 minutes after landing.
  • The transit area of the airport was lacking in facilities for you and other passengers to meet your basic needs.
  • From your description of events, Qatar Airways should have treated you better.
  • There is room here for reflection on your part as to what you should do differently in future travels. Mostly, you added a significant risk by placing all your "necessary items" in your checked bags and carried little to no cash with you.
What Can You Do At this Point?
As I stated earlier you can use use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to present your case to Expedia and Qatar Airways. If you do, it is critical that you cover just the facts and let them speak for themselves. Attacking them, deserved or not, will only cloud the issue and may work against you.

It's clear to me that Expedia should refund your airfare. Beyond that I don't have any recommendations for compensation ...

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What we do not know from all of this- what time was your initial flight out of Johannesburg and what time did you arrive at the airport? That seems to be what set off this mess right from the start if I am reading correctly and you missed your initial flight. If you arrived three hours before your flight- you should have had plenty of time to get to your first flight even if you were repeatedly fingerprinted.

Second- you booked the flights online yourself on Expedia, correct! You had the responsibility of knowing the actual connecting times you needed to book to ensure you have enough time in between connections to make it to the next flight.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ADVOCATE ADVICE
Use this handy rule for packing: assume that you will never see your checked suitcase again or that someone will open it in transit and steal your goodies. Pack your carryon with everything you need for a couple of days, including during your flights. Wear clothing on the plane that can be hand-washed and dried overnight. Don't allow yourself to be a victim, prepare for the worst.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
ADVOCATE ADVICE
Use this handy rule for packing: assume that you will never see your checked suitcase again or that someone will open it in transit and steal your goodies. Pack your carryon with everything you need for a couple of days, including during your flights. Wear clothing on the plane that can be hand-washed and dried overnight. Don't allow yourself to be a victim, prepare for the worst.
Never pack valuables or prescriptions in checked luggage too.

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you Neil for the reminder. I had stated in the PDF that the arrival time was 6:40 ("a few minutes late") and then in the post I said that Expedia alotted about 1 hour before the connecting flight. But to be clearer, I added that to the PDF and updated it (above). The flight from Johannesburg departed at 7:30 PM.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So she arrived at 6:40 for a 7:30 flight? This is why we need the consumer to post everything on their post and not use documents for us to click on. I only read the document you posted because I know it’s safe and you are good at cutting to the chase.

Jan 6, 2015
Correct. And I allowed 10 minute for the "few minutes late" she indicated, so that's 1 hour. Not enough time correct?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Absolutely not. Recommended time to arrive for an international flight is 3 hours before the flight is scheduled to depart.

So she arrived 50 minutes before. Had trouble with getting fingerprints done which delayed even more. She missed her flight and is not due a refund - she was refunded properly for just the insurance.