Inquiry on Alitalia's current situation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
The code share has little financial risk for ANA. Alitalia will operate the Italy-Japan flights and ANA will have a code share, and then route the passengers needing domestic tickets in Japan to ANA. I think ANA is just hedging their bets, and they are trying to make more codeshare agreements, even those outside of their alliance, in a bid to challenge Japan Air Lines. I am not really looking at this as a great sign of faith.

Look at what happened with Air Berlin -- no company wanted to buy it......

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The code share has little financial risk for ANA. Alitalia will operate the Italy-Japan flights and ANA will have a code share, and then route the passengers needing domestic tickets in Japan to ANA. I think ANA is just hedging their bets, and they are trying to make more codeshare agreements, even those outside of their alliance, in a bid to challenge Japan Air Lines. I am not really looking at this as a great sign of faith.

Look at what happened with Air Berlin -- no company wanted to buy it......
That is exactly why I don't think this development means a hill of beans. AirBerlin was in a similar situation - there was absolutely no chatter at all going on about potential buyers and then suddenly they went out.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hey everyone - thought I'd get back on the topic of Alitalia's future in the wake of a recent development: Alitalia and the Japanese airline ANA signed on March 23 a commercial partnership in which they agree to implement codeshare flights between Italia and Japan from October 2018.

This is significant news; ANA, a Star Alliance member, appears to be a very reliable partner, unlikely to start crazy ventures, and this agreement suggests a certain degree of trust in Alitalia's mid-term stability on their part... It makes me wonder.

Does it make any difference in your eyes? What do you think? Thanks for any input!
I agree with you - this is absolutely significant. ANA wouldn't go near them if there wasn't "something" there. Unless .... are the code-shares for flights between Italy and Japan? There's a nasty little typo, so the meaning isn't distinct. If I recall, you have the time to wait for more developments, no?

Sep 19, 2015
I agree with you - this is absolutely significant. ANA wouldn't go near them if there wasn't "something" there. Unless .... are the code-shares for flights between Italy and Japan? There's a nasty little typo, so the meaning isn't distinct. If I recall, you have the time to wait for more developments, no?
This is not a joint venture or any serious capital investment from ANA; it is an agreement to code share starting in October.

ANA is trying to expand through code shares -- they just signed with a regional Chinese airline Juneyao, which only flies the Airbus 320, so no long haul flights; ANA is restructuring their low cost subsidiaries, Peach will merge with Vanilla -- (this sounds like a desert recipe) because Vanilla was never profitable, so Peach is the only one to survive.

What I think is notable is that Air France/KLM wants whatever the successor to Alitalia is to stay in the Skyteam alliance -- but they really do not want to buy Alitalia. Easyjet is only interested in select short haul routes, Lufthansa says that more cost cutting needs to be done before they are interested in making a proposal.

This reminds me too much of Air Berlin with cherry picking the assets.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is not a joint venture or any serious capital investment from ANA; it is an agreement to code share starting in October.

ANA is trying to expand through code shares -- they just signed with a regional Chinese airline Juneyao, which only flies the Airbus 320, so no long haul flights; ANA is restructuring their low cost subsidiaries, Peach will merge with Vanilla -- (this sounds like a desert recipe) because Vanilla was never profitable, so Peach is the only one to survive.

What I think is notable is that Air France/KLM wants whatever the successor to Alitalia is to stay in the Skyteam alliance -- but they really do not want to buy Alitalia. Easyjet is only interested in select short haul routes, Lufthansa says that more cost cutting needs to be done before they are interested in making a proposal.

This reminds me too much of Air Berlin with cherry picking the assets.
Oh my, my optimistic side sure took over when I posted... glad we have you, Christina, to get the REAL word out. I guess I figured that ANA wouldn't be interested in Alitalia unless there was something there of value.