Infant ticket name Error booked with Expedia travelling in 5 days!!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 23, 2018
Hello,
I am new to the forums and i really need any assistance im due to travel in 5 days but there is a huge issue im facing with Expedia.

I am planning our first trip to France to visit a sick relative in the hospital and I booked through Expedia. The airline for the round trip from Toronto to Paris is with Air Canada. Set for departure next week Tuesday may 29 2018 . I called air canada directly just to make sure everything was in order, to my dismay my ticket is fine my 20 month old infants ticket is not!

Air canada claims on their end my daughters ticket shows only initials for her first and last name.

However on my Expedia confirmation sent through email I have proof that both our names were entered correctly by our Expedia agent via phone.
Presently my daughter's ticket reads :
Firstname : J
Lastname: D
(J.D)
It should however read

Firstname:Jane
Middle name: Fake
Last name: Doe-Roe
(Jane Fake Doe-Roe)
The Air Canada rep basically said that my daughter would not be allowed to board and I need to resolve this with Expedia directly.

I was on the phone with Expedia for four hours on hold while they try to "look" into this they still do not have a resolution I am travelling in 5 days and I'm having anxiety over this. I have to go visit my sick aunt she has no one there until her children arrive to visit her in the hospital. The crazy part about this is i booked directly with the agent they put in the information not me so i shouldn't have to be going through loops to fix a mistake they made I am already going through enough as it is personally.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do? 5 day count down to trip!!

Warmly,

Cathy

May 23, 2018
Hi guys !
Quick update since i last posted... There seems to be light on the other side of the tunnel. So i called Air canada and spoke to a rep named Mitchell. I told them the dilemma i was facing and he was AMAZING! He told me to call them back and not take NO for an answer because most times they will tell you a rep will call you in 24 hours and they wont which i figured hence i have been so persistent. Anywho Mitchell spoke to someone on Air Canada's end and he told me to call Expedia back and give them specific instructions to request a name change for the infant.

I called Expedia i finally got a customer service who was able to patch me directly to the department that does the name corrections. I spoke to the guy in that department lets name him Sahil. So sam gave me the direct line to his department for future use so i don't have to speak to a rep and and go through all the annoying prompts.
The conversation went something like this...

Sahil: On our end your name and your daughters name is here perfectly so you should be ok.
Me: No .... 3 air canada agents told me i would not be able to board with my daughters name reflecting as J.D
Sahil: Oh well see the thing is your daughters name is long so the characters will not show fully on the ticket being issued
Me : (eye rolling at this point) This is not the case , Mitchell from air canada told me to tell you to do the following
Once i told him mitchells exact steps he was silent i guess from embarassment and with that he was able to issue a request for a name change.

However i still have to wait 72 hours so on May 26th i have to call air Canada back for them to issue the ticket then i have to call Expedia for them to send me the ticket... So we are not out of the clear but i pray it all works out because i cannot afford to lose this trip.

So now I wait... anxiously... I will update you all on the status on May 26.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have the email stating the name was correct then Expedia needs to fix it.

The Expedia rep is correct that long names won’t fit but that doesn’t mean they put initials only in - they are supposed to put as much of the name as possible.

We have company contacts on our pages. If need be, since you don’t have the luxury of waiting to email, use the contacts we have to call the Executives if they don’t straighten this out.

In the future- book direct. As you have learned- Air Canada could have fixed this for you right away but because you used a third party- you have this issue.

Luckily you noticed it now and not at the airport.

Let us know how you make out.

May 23, 2018
If you have the email stating the name was correct then Expedia needs to fix it.

The Expedia rep is correct that long names won’t fit but that doesn’t mean they put initials only in - they are supposed to put as much of the name as possible.

We have company contacts on our pages. If need be, since you don’t have the luxury of waiting to email, use the contacts we have to call the Executives if they don’t straighten this out.

In the future- book direct. As you have learned- Air Canada could have fixed this for you right away but because you used a third party- you have this issue.

Luckily you noticed it now and not at the airport.

Let us know how you make out.
Hi Neil,
Thanks for your response. That's odd given that my name is 26 letters long... And also I travelled with the baby in 2016 when she was a new born and they always managed to fit the name without leaving anything out I insisted and they managed to do so. But at this point whatever air canada chooses to fit in for her name I won't nitpick because I'm flying both ways with them so if it's air canada approved im happy.

I did consider booking directly with air canada I had a gut feeling something would go awry but I decided to save I think 200$ by getting a car and a flight through Expedia. It was not worth the headache I will say.

I actually specifically chose to book on the phone with the agent as opposed to doing it myself online because my intuition and common sense told me if I book with the agent and I give them the information accurately they should be liable to change the name should an error occur.

When I finished booking the Expedia agent had said he sent the confirmation reservation and he hadn't I was on my email I made him wait on the phone until I received it and verified that everything was ok.
Glad I did that I read last night from a poster on another site that Expedia never sent them their confirmation and when they finally did they noticed a date error...

Anyhow I am happy I checked with air canada too rather than 24 hours before departure which is usually when I usually do a follow up phone call with the airline to provide the travel document information and check in...

Will let you know how it goes!

P.S thanks for the contact numbers I will make use of them. Although by the time I find out if this will be solved or not it will be on Saturday so I guess I would just have to wait until Monday (24 hours prior to departure) worst case scenario of course!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Please keep us updated and check our contacts in case you need them.

Sometimes saving $200 by booking through Expedia is not worth it if you have go pay walk up prices at the airport because a ticket wasn’t issued right. And most airlines now offer you hotels and car rentals you can buy after you purchase the air. Our advice here is always to book direct.

Keep in touch with us.

May 23, 2018

Sometimes saving $200 by booking through Expedia is not worth it if you have go pay walk up prices at the airport because a ticket wasn’t issued right. And most airlines now offer you hotels and car rentals you can buy after you purchase the air. Our advice here is always to book direct.

Keep in touch with us.
You're absolutely right it's not worth it! I will take that advice for future reference.
Will do Neil ! I re-edited my previous reply to add that the day I find out if this will work out or not is Saturday May 26. Worst case scenario and something goes wrong given its a weekend I won't be able to make use of the contact numbers provided until Monday...(24hrs before departure)
Thanks so much will post on Saturday to let you know how it plays out...

-Cathy

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Cathy, you are right to be ultra-careful ... airlines and hotels are doing their best to discourage the online booking services and their cooperation may or may not be sincere. How does your daughter's name read on the original confirmation from Expedia? Be sure to take a hard copy with you to the airport.

I would arrive at the airport several hours before your flight, no matter what anyone tells you. That way you can calmly and effectively get everything straight if there are still some issues.

May 23, 2018
Cathy, you are right to be ultra-careful ... airlines and hotels are doing their best to discourage the online booking services and their cooperation may or may not be sincere. How does your daughter's name read on the original confirmation from Expedia? Be sure to take a hard copy with you to the airport.

I would arrive at the airport several hours before your flight, no matter what anyone tells you. That way you can calmly and effectively get everything straight if there are still some issues.
Hi there !
My daughters name read just her first name initial and last name initial. So it read J.D .

I am taking your advice and going super early just incase because i'm still facing issues and its 3 days before my flight they are making me jump through hoops.

May 23, 2018

Keep in touch with us.
The saga continues...
Hi Guys so here is the update...
I received two phone calls and an email from an expedia executive. They were assuring me that they sent in the name change request with air canada and everything should be fine i shouldnt worry. They told me to call in or email them should anything arise. I was feeling relieved but then my intuition told me to call at midnight.
(3 days before departure per Air Canada's protocol) I called them 2 hours ago roughly 2 am. The air canada agent told me that they see Expedias request for a name change HOWEVER they cannot just change it. Expedia needs to send an email in to a specific address which will correct in 24 hours! So The AirCanada rep gave me the email address and told me to scan and attach
1. daughters passport
2. daughters birth certificate.
3. Include booking reference #

So here i am at 4:28 am after sending the required info. Annoyed. Tired. And just over it all!

Now we wait until Sunday May 27... (2 days before departure) to check if everything is in order...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If it's any consolation, my experience in life has been that if you just keep doing/sending/communicating with whatever ridiculous hurdles are presented, you will eventually "win". Most of us just can't wrap our minds around how the people "in charge" think. Best to just keep giving them what they ask for. Our urgent needs are just a day's work for them. They have a Procedures Manual and they won't/can't deviate from that. You are beyond clever to test their solution ... finding it lacking enables you to keep plugging away.

ADVOCATE ADVICE
Every time you make a travel booking of any kind, be sure you get a confirmation. Read that confirmation immediately. Triple check all the facts. "Early errors" are simple to fix.

May 23, 2018
Hello!

So last update was at 4:28am Saturday and i had sent the required documents for the name correction. I went to sleep shortly after and by 6 am i had received an email from Air Canada name corrections dept. with.... MY NEW TICKET for my daughter! I was so happy. I verified with them that i wouldn't be charged for the name correction and got it in writing we are all good to go! I am still going to arrive at the airport three hours prior to departure and bring my daughters birth certificate as well just as a precaution.

I wanted to thank you all for the support and advice!

Best wishes,

Cathy

@Neil Maley @jsn55

Sep 19, 2015
It was so smart of you to check in advance, it would have so stressful to find out at the airport. It sounds like there is some sort of technological glitch that caused the problem and also sounds like the ticket should be fine and you should be able to visit the ill relative. I am sure you are aware of all of the on and off strikes in France, and hopefully you will not have any problems.

I believe that Canadian drivers licenses are bilingual so there should no issues with renting a car.

Having a middleman is always problematic when there are issues as you found out. Safe travels.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hello!

So last update was at 4:28am Saturday and i had sent the required documents for the name correction. I went to sleep shortly after and by 6 am i had received an email from Air Canada name corrections dept. with.... MY NEW TICKET for my daughter! I was so happy. I verified with them that i wouldn't be charged for the name correction and got it in writing we are all good to go! I am still going to arrive at the airport three hours prior to departure and bring my daughters birth certificate as well just as a precaution.

I wanted to thank you all for the support and advice!

Best wishes,

Cathy

@Neil Maley @jsn55
Fantastic! Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm glad you'll arrive early at the airport with all your "docs" ... and don't forget the baby!