Incorrectly charged for damage under front bumper in Munich

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 30, 2015
North Laurasia
Having dealt with Hertz's "Corporate customer service" I can tell you going to the 'higher level' just gets you to someone else in the bottom feeder's cubicle farm. Hertz's corporate does NOT talk to anyone. I had to get my state Attorney General involved to finally get someone in Hertz corporate to even answer the phone.

Jan 2, 2018
This is really unfortunate. I replied to customer service asking to check pictures from previous renter for scratch under the bumper. Here's the response I got.:(

Dear XX

I regret my first correspondence did not meet with your approval. I appreciate the opportunity to review this matter again.

Again, I regret any misunderstanding regarding the damage charges and regret my previous reply did not meet with your approval. The claims office has provided adequate documentation to support the damage charges billed. This matter has been thoroughly investigation and the charges are correct as billed.

Any further correspondence should be directed to:

First Notice of Loss (FNOL) Office
gefnolcustomercontacts@hertz.com

It is our hope you will understand our position in this matter. We value your business and look forward to the opportunity of being able to serve you again.

Yours sincerely,

Jan 2, 2018
Went up a level. Received this response. Will post an update when I have it.

Dear XXX,

I am corresponding with you on behalf our senior management team. They have asked that I review this matter and respond to you on their behalf. Thank you for providing me this opportunity.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your recent rental in Germany. We have received your inquiry and are investigating this matter. Once we have a resolution we will be in contact with you.

Once again XXX, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to review this matter.

Sincerely,

Jan 2, 2018
Doesn't look like it went anywhere... more of the same. See their response

Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting us.

We have carefully reviewed all the details of this case, and can confirm that you have been charged in accordance with the supporting documentation provided. With this in mind, no adjustment may be made to the damage charges.

We now consider this case closed. We have informed you that no further investigation into the matter will be made without additional documentation which may support another liability of the damage.

Yours sincerely,

XXX
First Notice of Loss Unit

Jan 2, 2018
I don't think the yellow spot was one of the damages.... I assumed that based on the pictures. But based on the damage report, its only the scratched underneath the front bumper. They have re-worded the same response everytime I mentioned that those damages were pre-existing. I'm working with my CC to dispute the charges but I doubt it will go anywhere.

Feb 9, 2016
I don't think the yellow spot was one of the damages.... I assumed that based on the pictures. But based on the damage report, its only the scratched underneath the front bumper. They have re-worded the same response everytime I mentioned that those damages were pre-existing. I'm working with my CC to dispute the charges but I doubt it will go anywhere.
did you tell the credit card company that you never signed for, or authorized, these charges and, therefore, you consider them to be fraudulent?

How did so much time pass between being charged and realizing you were held financially accountable?

Jan 2, 2018
did you tell the credit card company that you never signed for, or authorized, these charges and, therefore, you consider them to be fraudulent?

How did so much time pass between being charged and realizing you were held financially accountable?
Yes, I told the CC that I never authorized the charges and they sent me a dispute form to submit. The incident report which has a space for customer signature is empty. I was waiting on hearing from Hertz before submitting a formal dispute. But unfortunately, 3+ months have passed between the charges and me noticing it. I only noticed it during my annual auditing.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, keep going up the chain. State to the next one you adamantly deny you caused this damage and if this goes to court, Hertz will be required to show proof that you caused this damage and it wasn’t caused by a previous renter do you would like the proof that it wasn’t there before you took possession of the car.

Jan 2, 2018
Yes, keep going up the chain. State to the next one you adamantly deny you caused this damage and if this goes to court, Hertz will be required to show proof that you caused this damage and it wasn’t caused by a previous renter do you would like the proof that it wasn’t there before you took possession of the car.
Ok, I'll include that piece in my next email. Thank you.

Jan 2, 2018
I sent a followup email few days ago and received the following reply.

Dear Mr. XX,

I am corresponding with you on behalf our senior management team. They have asked that I review this matter and respond to you on their behalf. Thank you for providing me this opportunity.

I do apologize for the delay in response. Since I have not been able to get a response from the International rental location I have issued a refund of the damages charges of $336.00 EUR back to your card ending in XXXX. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.
Today I checked my CC and see the amount refunded. I want to thank this forum and each one of you for helping out. I absolutely didn't think this was possible but wanted to give it a fair shot and I'm glad I stumbled on this platform and found you people. Thank you very much again! :):):)

Last edited: