1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

IF WE'D ONLY KNOWN...Royal Caribbean

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean' started by Jo Peck, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jo Peck

OMG. This explains why Costco would tell us to call RCCL, and why RCCL told us they wouldn't speak with us, they said we had to call Costco. OMG. Looking for the paperwork you referenced now.

And NO, we weren't the ones who called Costco yesterday. Our Costco and RCCL calls are over...I'm certain there are many others in a similar boat, who may not realize they have some recourse. (I sound like I still think there is some recourse...)

There's something seriously wrong with this picture. Our luggage stands packed by the front door. STILL. I just can't bring myself to deal with it...I KNOW worse things can happen! I guess it's the overwhelming sense of having little to no control over this mess.

2. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Okay, so you don't *know* that your air travel was booked via Air2Sea. The only thing you know is that Costco called the Air2Sea program when your flights went awry.

So the truth is the matter could be that Costco reached out to RCCL's air2Sea department in an effort to maybe find an alternative itinerary Costco could suggest to you.

Kinda like Costco saying "hey listen, we have these travelers, they are stuck. if they were your travelers, what flights would you put them on? " and the Costco relayed that info to you - but there was no Air2Sea warranty standing with your itinerary.

This is such a bummer. promise us you will spent money on travel insurance from now on, please? :)

Jo Peck likes this.
  3. Jo Peck

We've already written and sent the letter to RCCL but hadn't done anything with the airlines. They've SAID we'll get some credit from the airlines, but no idea how much/when. Should I wait to find out what/how much, or begin the letter campaign now? Both American and Delta were involved, should I write both? Also, in reading the Costco advertisement:

We are Costco and We Know Travel

Costco Travel is staffed by Costco employees who appreciate the value of your membership. We are also trained travel professionals who can expertly advise you in planning and booking your vacation. Combined, our Costco foundation and travel expertise ensure you receive the quality, value and experience you deserve as a Costco member.

They also have a caveat about 'special treatment' for executive members, which we are.
    Can't thank you enough for going 'above and beyond' in helping us find answers!

mmb likes this.
  4. Jo Peck

I must have miscommunicated somewhere along the way, I DO KNOW that Costco used RCCL and we HAVE the Air2Sea program, which I forwarded to Dwayne this morning. As for the flight insurance, YOU BETCHA. Always, from here on. We DIDN'T get it because the Costco initial agent told us if we got SICK or changed our mind, it would be good to have. BUT THAT RCCL guarantees we get to the cruise! so we decided to forgo the additional $250. Ain't gonna happen again.

Still sick about Costco being a 'call center'. UGH Something good must come out of this nightmare, perhaps a warning to other travelers? PERSONALLY, I'm making progress. Just got my toothbrush outta that big bag of luggage. :)

Michelle Friedman likes this.
  5. Jo Peck

OK folks, we're now a 'patron'? to this site. We both wish we had the $'s to do even more! Whatever the outcome of our particular dilemma, we're hoping this site (and crew of AMAZING volunteers willing to share their time and expertise to help others) will BE AROUND for others who need an ADVOCATE.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

And there you have it from the horses mouth. This should be spread all over Costcos travel page.

Our disclaimer says we are not responsible for flights too. But that means we aren't responsible for cancellations and changes- that doesn't mean someone who books travel throws up these hands and says "oh well too bad".

I would be complaining now to the Attorney General about Costco too.

cp556, sas80 and Jo Peck like this.
  7. Jo Peck

Neil..just got one of those automated 'we're investigating this so hang on' responses from Costco, so I'll wait before doing anything else. I want them - and RCCL - to have an opportunity to check this out and make restitution of some sort. Costco has certainly made some mistakes in their advertising...and I am naive enough to believe they'll correct them. HA Although a novice at ALL THINGS TRAVEL, I have a lot of experience in dealing with people! I'm a retired real estate brokerage owner/manager...I learned long ago the job is similar to running an adult day care center...o_O and yet still have faith. I believe we have to first give folks the opportunity to MAKE THINGS RIGHT . Know from your postings that you do too! So the Attorney General is down the line a bit.

8. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I agree that's a last resort.

Jo Peck likes this.
  9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Did you contact the credit card you used for the purchase to see if they have any coverage for the canceled flight and trip? I apologize if you answered this already.

Jo Peck likes this.
  10. Jo Peck

Neil-- at first we thought that WAS the way to go, but after reading all these posts and rethinking the situation we put a Hold on that and wrote Costco and RCCL. We also realized we needed to wait and see exactly how much we would be getting back-- that way we won't have to reimburse the credit card company should we get our money back thru some other means

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I just got off the phone with my Royal Rep. He said if the air was actually booked by Air2Sea then Royal should have handled it. If I can give him the booking number he will look at it.

Jo Peck likes this.
  12. Jo Peck

Neil..I JUST got a call from Mike Boone (Costco) who says he'll contact RCCL and get back with us within 24-48 hours...he was VERY NICE and supportive...don't know if you'll still need the booking number but it's #####. Thank you SO MUCH Neil. Thank you so much!

Edit: removed booking number since this is a public forum. Will send to Neil via conversation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
    jsn55, Algebralovr and Patina like this.
  13. Jo Peck

thank you for doing that!

technomage1 likes this.
  14. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I got it and have sent it to my rep. Maybe between the two they can figure out what happened.

15. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

This is my feeling too, sas. I think dealing with both entities at the same time, in addition to CC travel insurance, is guaranteed to be a nightmare. Costco is responsible for this mess, it will not be difficult for them to fix it. If two entities start investigating at once, things could go south very quickly.

Just read Jo's post about the call from Mike Boone at Costco. So the ball is rolling ... I actually do have faith that Costco will come through and take care of these nice people with a new cruise.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Carrie Livingston and Jo Peck like this.
  16. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Jo, I just sent you a private conversation.

Jo Peck likes this.
  17. Jo Peck

No real news but Mike Boone (Costco) did call tonight to tell us RCCL didn't respond as he'd hoped so he's sent an email? higher up the chain...he wanted us to know he was still trying. in his first call (this is the second) he told us he couldn't understand why they didn't honor the Air2Sea guarantee (he called it Choice Air?) Anyway, will let everybody know when something happens. DID WANT TO TELL EVERYBODY that it wasn't our letters that got Costco's attention..it was Dwayne (Mike said, some guy named Elliott?? ha ha He hadn't even SEEN our letters at that point). So if any good news comes out of this, it's BECAUSE of Dwayne and this forum!

18. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

It appears it was Royals responsibility here because you did have Air2Sea reservations.

Patina likes this.
  19. Jo Peck

thanks for checking on this Neil. RCCL is telling Dwayne that they DID fulfill their guarantee and we cancelled!!! The last flight booked for us would get us to the ship after it sailed; RCCL told Costco to tell us to take that flight, and that they'd put us up in a hotel in Tampa for one night. AFTER THAT, we were ON OUR OWN.

We asked Costco how we were getting to Honduras and to the ship, and the Costco agent didn't know.. it was assumed we'd have to figure that out...Costco said RCCL would entertain NO other option! We asked them to put the details in a written email so we'd know who was providing WHAT, and we were told neither Costco or RCCL would provide that in writing...which is why, after asking to reschedule or get credit and being denied, we asked to cancel. (Not just the expense involved of the additional night and two days and food and transportation -- flight to Roatan and then transfer) but also we were afraid we'd get stuck in a 3rd world country not knowing the language, currency, etc. The homeland security advisory also concerns us..

RCCL told Costco it was too late to cancel, so we asked Costco if they could help us in finding a flight or hotel in Honduras or transportation and Costco said they don't do that. We began searching for options and this forum gave us ideas..it was then that we learned of trip interruption insurance! which would have covered the cost!! Sunday we called Costco back and asked them to ask RCCL if we booked and paid for a flight to Honduras if they'd meet us at the airport and get us to the ship; RCCL said NO...we still had the room but we had to get to the ship.

I am angry now. What did we do wrong? I don't believe RCCL told Costco they'd provide a flight to Honduras and get us to the ship initially...the guy at Costco made a point of telling us RCCL said WE WERE ON OUR OWN after Saturday night in Tampa. When Costco called us yesterday -- just to tell us they were still pursuing resolution with RCCL but no answers yet -- Mike Boone (Costco) didn't mention any of this. He just said RCCL wasn't responding like he'd like, so he was going up the 'chain'.

Sorry for the ranting Neil. I've been up most of the night...I'd finally had a peace about all this before hearing RCCL is denying they didn't fulfill their guarantee. It's not like we're financially ruined over this, and we'll fight it as long as is feasible...at least, if we're STUCK, we're STUCK at home.

20. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

The air2sea program website says "When your vacation comes around, you don't want to miss the ship because of flight delays or cancellations. Book airfare through us and we guarantee our travel experts will get you to your cruise."

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithGallery.do?pagename=air_travel_programs

It sounds to me there's a lot of information being relayed that is causing you more questions, and the Costco rep isn't asking these questions on your behalf. A decent travel agent should ADVOCATE on your behalf. These are pretty reasonable reply/follow up questions.

I would suggest that you insist on a 3 way phone call with Costco and RCCL.

I think it is very relevant to specifically ask Costco "We do appreciate you suggesting alternate flights into Tampa, and agreeing to put us up for one night. However, the flights you suggested would put us intpo Tampa on X-day, after the ship has sailed. When we expressed concern over missing the ship by agreeing to these flights, we were told by the Costco representative that this was the only option RCCL was providing to us. We were perplexed, what were we to do after that night? We received no instructions on how to reach the ship. RCCL rep, what was your plan there?"

You've got to stop allowing the Costco rep to advocate on your behalf. he or she is giving up too easily because there is no financial investment for them.

You also have the option of stopping this madness and simply saying to Costco - listen, we booked thru you. Since you chose to book via the Air2Sea program, YOU had the duty to arrange with RCCL that we make it to the ship . You should have never accepted the responses RCCL was giving you about telling us we were 'out of luck'. In order to stop this madness, the solution to this issue is that we are either refund the entire amount we are out, cruise and air, OR book us on another cruise, with air. It would be nice to receive a ship board credit as well, for all of our troubles.

This suggestion might be easier than spinning your brain, time and emotions, trying to make someone take responsibility.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    jsn55 and Nancy like this.