1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Icelandair is so Unreasonable

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Buttercup, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Buttercup

**I just want to preface this with the fact that I did read the advice on how to get a refund from an airlines company and will email them both with your suggestions. But if anyone can offer anything more, I will be appreciative! Thank you **

I bought two airline tickets for my boyfriend and I from JFK, NYC to Oslo, Norway.

Unfortunately my boyfriend broke his leg and won't be able to go on the trip.

Because I did not buy travel insurance, Icelandair will not refund me my money. My final destination is Oslo, Norway which I will fly over with Norwegian Air. Norwegian Air does not issue refunds either.

If no refund is possible I would like a ticket credit so I can use it to purchase another ticket in a future date or my third choice would be to change the name on my boyfriend's ticket so my friend could go.

Icelandair's fees are very high. If I want to change the date on the ticket, I have to pay an extra $275, that's more than I paid for the ticket!!

I think this is unfair as the flight is coming up soon and Icelandair could resell my boyfriend's ticket give me a refund, then I can take the refund money and put it towards the extra $275 to change my dates.Or if they would be willing to issue me a credit of some kind, that would be acceptable.

It seems unreasonable for Icelandair to refuse to work with me.

Dates of travel August 17, 2017 - August 28, 2017

I paid $255. for each Icelandair ticket, from JFK, NYC to Reykjavik, Iceland
    and I paid $204. for each ticket from Reykjavik Iceland to Oslo, Norway

I would be very appreciative of any help you can give me. Thank you

Buttercup

What's your desired resolution?
    Ideally, I would like a full refund from both Icelandair and Norwegian Air so I can use the money to change the dates of my ticket. Norwegian Air only charges $60 to change the date and to change the name on the ticket so they are more reasonable. Icelandair is totally unreasonable! Please help.

2. Kahhss

Buttercup, if you've read and followed the advice contacting their customer care and then escalating through their management I don't think there's much more anyone can do. They're not being unreasonable. They're simply following their published, known fee structure for the type of ticket you purchased.

You bought ultra-cheap tickets from a carrier and you elected not to buy travel insurance. I don't think it's reasonable to then ask them to pay for this decision. One of the reasons the price was so cheap is the difficulty in changing the ticket. For instance, a higher priced economy ticket through them may only incur $75 change fees and Economy Comfort incurs no change fees at all. They have no guarantees that they can re-sell this ticket in under 5 days.

You chose to buy the cheapest and most restrictive ticket without covering yourself with insurance. In the future I would suggest buying insurance if the sum you paid for the tickets is more than you can afford to lose. I'd also suggest ensuring that you know the change/cancellation policies of the airline so you're better able to make the determination whether to buy insurance or not.

krisseye, George M, AMA and 4 others like this.
  3. ADM

ADM

I'm sorry about your boyfriend. I hope he is on the mend. Have you checked with the credit card used to buy the tickets? There are often travel insurance benefits associated with them. Unfortunately a nonrefundable ticket is just that and almost all airlines have similar policies regarding them. The ultra low cost carriers such as Icelandic Air are the most restrictive. This is part of how they keep their costs low. I assume the $275 is the change fee required to keep the credit for travel up to one year from the date of purchase. Transferring the ticket to your friend won't be an option. I think your best bet is some kind of reimbursement from your credit card. Good luck.

Buttercup and Patina like this.
  4. Christina H

Buttercup you can write to the Icelandair and beg for an exception. They are under no obligation to make an exception.

You chose to buy a highly restricted and inexpensive ticket -- $255 is very inexpensive to fly international over 2500 miles each direction . And then you declined to pay the $27 per person cancellation protection that Icelandair offers which covers things like broken legs and refunds the Icelandair ticket. . You did not buy your own travel insurance to cover something like this.

Other people pay more for their tickets and buy flexible fares or pay for insurance to cover such emergencies. Why is it reasonable to think that you should have the same benefits they do? Is that fair?

Icelandair clearly states "A Medical Certificate does not entitle a repayment if the Cancellation Protection was not purchased." The $27 per person would have resulted in a refunded ticket, as likely would a good travel insurance policy.

Why do you think that Icelandair can easily resell the ticket when they still have seats available on all the non stop flights on both of those days? That argument will not work so do not even try it with the airline.

Icelandair's change fees vary with the cost of the ticket; the lower the ticket price, the higher the change fee

When one acts as their own travel agent it is imperative for the person to understand the ticket, restrictions, and risks associated with the ticket.

When you write to Icelandair your tone should be completely different than the one here. You are asking for an exception and truly they are not being unreasonable or unfair. It could be argued that it would be unfair to treat you the same as someone who paid for a flexible ticket or bought the cancellation protection or bought travel insurance.

Hopefully the credit card used for the purchase will have some travel protection.

5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Unfortunately, now you know why you should have bought insurance. This is exactly what its for.

They get HUNDREDS of these type of problems every single day. If they had to make an exception for everyone they would be out of business.

If you did what we suggest in the thread about refunds on nonrefundable flights, there is nothing more we can do for you. Did you ask if they have a credit you can use?

Did you call the credit card you used and see if they offer any type of insurance that would help?

BTW- your price you paid was a STEAL. I am taking a group to Iceland next week and we paid over $700 pp on Delta and when we booked, Iceland Air was much more expensive than Delta. So even if you lost that money and could rebook later at that same price - you will NEVER see that price anywhere else and still would have paid less for two sets of tickets than we paid for one.

AMA, jsn55 and ADM like this.
  6. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I wish I could love this post instead of just like it.

Carrie Livingston and jsn55 like this.
  7. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Well, Buttercup, my colleagues have all delivered the bad news, and I'm going to add one more little bit. Your boyfriend probably owns the tix, so he would get the credit. With some exceptions, most airlines don't care who paid for the tix. With the seriously low fares you paid for this trip, there'd probably be nothing left after the change/cancel fee.

AMA, Patina and Neil like this.
  8. Buttercup

Thanks to all to replied my problem.

If anything works, I will post an update.

I bought my boyfriend's ticket, just to let you know. As far as the low airfares, that's the norm right now, as long as you buy a few months in advance.

Thanks again,

Buttercup

9. AMA

AMA

It doesn't matter who paid for your boyfriend's ticket - his name is on the ticket so a flight credit will go to him.

10. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Thats correct - he is the only one that can use that ticket and/or any credit you might get regardless of whether you paid for it or not. That is true of any airline, not just Iceland Air.

11. Buttercup

I called my credit card company, they told me to write a letter and fax it over to them which I did. They also said the "Dispute Department" can take 90 days to decide a case.

Thanks for the suggestion of contacting my credit card company.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  12. Kahhss

They were asking you to inquire about travel insurance offered through your credit card. They were NOT recommending disputing this charge.

Disputing a valid charge is fraud and can result in your credit card being revoked and your credit being damaged. Moreover, the airline can now bill you directly for any administrative fees due to them fighting the dispute. Any goodwill credit you could have received through the airline will now be unavailable. In short, you just made a bad situation much worse. I suggest you immediately call your credit card company and have the dispute dismissed.

13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I would advise you to rescind the dispute as Kahhss has stated. You just filed a fraudulant charge back which we NEVER advise someone to do. The statement was that your card may have some travel protection which is insurance, not a chargeback. Insurance on your card may have helped.

You entered in a contract when you bought that ticket and did not buy insurance. You are now doing a fraudulant chargeback because of your problem. Iceland Air did nothing wrong. There can be repurcussions as Kahhss has said. The airline held up their end on the contract- you did not. The can put you on a blacklist against traveling with them for filing a false disputed.

Please ensure you understand that we never recommended you to do this and are not responsible for anything that may result from your actions.

14. ADM

ADM

Definitely rescind the request for a chargeback. Be as nice as possible and explain that you misunderstood what you needed to ask. That's the truth and you probably aren't the first person to dispute a charge by mistake.

jsn55, Patina and Neil like this.
  15. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I agree, as long as you hop right on this and get the dispute cancelled. Does your credit card offer any travel insurance coverage?

16. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I hope Buttercup took our advice and canceled the charge back. She was here yesterday so must have read our advice but didn't comment.