Iberostar refuses check-in for pre-paid reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 3, 2018
I had booked and paid in advance through Expedia 2 hotel rooms for 2 nights at the Iberostar in Havana. (1/2/18-1/4/18) Four days before we arrived at the Iberostar in Havana, one of my children became ill and he and I returned to the US for medical treatment. Three members of our party stayed in Cuba and continued with the tour I had booked.
I called Expedia on 12/30/17 to let them know that we would still be using the rooms but I would not be there to check in. I informed them that my 21 and 24 year old sons would be checking in. Expedia said they would call the Iberostar to inform them.
When my kids arrived at the Iberostar, the staff refused to let them check in to the 2 rooms I had booked in my name because I was not there. They also said that Expedia never called. I appealed to Expedia who originally stated they supported my request for a refund and they would speak to the Iberostar but they have not replied to my recent emails requesting a refund..
I paid $1936 for 2 rooms that none of my party was allowed to use. The Iberostar refused to refund the money at time of checkin. (I had also booked a third room under my 24 year old son’s name in a separate reservation and he was allowed to check into that room.)
To add insult to injury, my 24 year old son had to pay an additional $300 to have additional members of our party (who should have been in the other pre-paid rooms) stay in his room.
As I said before, the Iberostar is refusing to refund my money and Expedia has not replied to my emails
I am happy to provide reservation numbers and further details but will wait for further direction on how to submit this privately.
Thank you for any help you might offer.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can try and contact your credit card company and do a dispute but you may not win. When we book our clients, we put the names of all occupants that will be in the room. I assume you didn't do that? Expedia cannot speak for the hotel - they can pass on the information but if it is against hotel policy they can't control that. Did you try to call the hotel yourself when the kids were there and ask if you could fax or email a copy of your passport to them?

Apr 3, 2018
I was on the phone with the kids when they tried to check in. The front desk people at the Iberostar did not want to speak to me nor did they offer any alternative methods to verify the reservation. They had my oldest son's name on another reservation and they allowed him to check in so it was pretty clear that the reservations were for the same party.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a shame ... I'll bet it's some strange government policy that covers this kind of situation. It would be good to get a copy of the rules to see if there's a loophole here. I'll bet that Expedia should have informed you that each room had to be reserved and occupied by the same person and that person must be a certain age. It's the old story ... an online booking agency just takes your orders, they add little to justify their commissions. I am so sorry you lost so much money, but glad that your boys weren't left out on the street for the night.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you actually ask Expedia to change the name on the reservation? From their terms:

If you find an issue with your booking or have multiple itineraries for the same trip, you can change or cancel your booking. Some changes are free of charge (such as, guest name), while for others charges may apply (such as, travel dates). Most hotel bookings can be cancelled without penalty before the hotel's cancellation deadline. If your itinerary lists a property manager, you must change or cancel directly with the property manager.
To change your hotel booking
Sign in to view your bookings.
In Upcoming, select the itinerary wish to change.
In Hotel overview, select Change this reservation and follow the instructions.