I purchased a phone from Samsung but FedEx lost it in transit and Samsung won't send a replacement.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 3, 2018
I ordered a Galaxy S9+ from the Samsung website on April 19th.
It was shipped to me April 20th FedEx 2nd Business Day for delivery on the 24th.
When it didn't arrive I contacted FedEx and Samsung Support.
Samsung Support asked me to request FedEx verify the package had been lost.
FedEx opened trace case.
Within two hours they called and verified the shipment had been lost. They recommended I contact Samsung for a replacement.
I forwarded the case number and information to Samsung Support.
In my phone conversations and live chats with Samsung Support I’ve been told that E-Commerce Support is the only group that can assist me.
The only answer E-Commerce Support has had is “the issue has been forwarded to the concerned department”.
They have refused to put me in contact with the 'concerned department' or speak with a manager.
My preference is to receive the phone I've paid for because the price has increased $200 now.

Sep 19, 2015
The problem is that Fed EX lost it and Fed Ex needs to reimburse Samsung for the lost phone -- but that should not be your problem, Samsung needs to fight that out with Fed Ex and hopefully Samsung properly insured it. Likely it was stolen in transit but again that is for Fed Ex to deal with.

I hope the executives help you,

May 3, 2018
Here are company contacts for Samsung. Hopefully an Executive can help you out. Please read the main page in our Company Contacts to learn the right way to write to them.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/samsung/
Thanks! Is the OfficeofthePresident email address still useful? I saw it on the website that led me here.
The problem is that Fed EX lost it and Fed Ex needs to reimburse Samsung for the lost phone -- but that should not be your problem, Samsung needs to fight that out with Fed Ex and hopefully Samsung properly insured it. Likely it was stolen in transit but again that is for Fed Ex to deal with.

I hope the executives help you,
Thank you. I'm in Texas and the FedEx tracking information ended at their Memphis, TN facility three days before my scheduled delivery date. According to the FedEx person who called about the trace, they were informed the day before delivery that the contents of the shipment had become separated from the packaging. I took that to mean the empty shipping box had been discovered.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks! Is the OfficeofthePresident email address still useful? I saw it on the website that led me here.

Thank you. I'm in Texas and the FedEx tracking information ended at their Memphis, TN facility three days before my scheduled delivery date. According to the FedEx person who called about the trace, they were informed the day before delivery that the contents of the shipment had become separated from the packaging. I took that to mean the empty shipping box had been discovered.
I hope it is- however you shouldn’t start at the President- if you read the information posted in the front page of our Company Contacts we advise you the best way to write to get what you need.

May 3, 2018
Samsung got another jab in on me. While chatting with Samsung support the guy coincidentally received the first update from that 'concerned department' who's been investigating my case. 10 days since FedEx declared the package had been lost Samsung tells me that because the phone has not been returned to their warehouse I'm required to file a claim with FedEx.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This makes sense ... a special department to deal with merchandise lost in transit. Why do you want to talk with a different department? Your new phone was lost, Samsung doesn't know what happened to it. They needed to investigate through FedEx, and now you know that FedEx is responsible. You need to file a claim with FedEx and follow their procedures. Since you ordered the phone on 4/19, this timing seems about right; something lost cannot immediately be replaced, they need to verify that it is lost. Once FedEx agrees to buy you a new phone, be picky about exactly which phone you're going to get. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Jul 27, 2016
Samsung got another jab in on me. While chatting with Samsung support the guy coincidentally received the first update from that 'concerned department' who's been investigating my case. 10 days since FedEx declared the package had been lost Samsung tells me that because the phone has not been returned to their warehouse I'm required to file a claim with FedEx.
That's absurd. You aren't FedEx's customer, Samsung is. You paid Samsung to deliver a phone to you. Their chosen carrier appears to have fallen down on the job. It's their job to clean that up.

Dec 11, 2016
Wait a moment before filing a claim with FedEx. Samsung was the shipper. Did you pay Samsung to ship this phone to you, or is FedEx billing you directly for the freight charges (for example, this shipped on your personal FedEx acct#).

This is important. Unless FedEx is billing you directly, then Samsung as the shipper should be filing the claim. Also, if Samsung didn't ship the package with insurance, then the package is only insured up to $100. Why should you only be reimbursed $100, when I'm sure the phone cost considerably more.

I hate to say it, but if you still can't get a replacement phone in the next 2 weeks, you should demand a refund. And if a refund is not given quickly, then file a dispute with your credit card as a last resort. I know you prefer to have the phone, but this can only go so long before you won't be able to file a credit card dispute.

May 3, 2018
This makes sense ... a special department to deal with merchandise lost in transit. Why do you want to talk with a different department? Your new phone was lost, Samsung doesn't know what happened to it. They needed to investigate through FedEx, and now you know that FedEx is responsible. You need to file a claim with FedEx and follow their procedures. Since you ordered the phone on 4/19, this timing seems about right; something lost cannot immediately be replaced, they need to verify that it is lost. Once FedEx agrees to buy you a new phone, be picky about exactly which phone you're going to get. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
Thanks!
Actually, I did just want to talk to someone in that special department but Samsung's 1st level and E-Commerce support refused my requests.

FedEx opened a trace case for me one day after the missed delivery date and verified the shipment had been lost. Something about the contents of the shipment had become separated from its packaging and in her words it was definitely lost. To me it sounded like they'd found the shipping box and it was empty. I supplied that case number and their findings to Samsung. I would have opened the claim at that time if Samsung had explained their policy to me then.

Maybe I'm wrong but I see the situation as I purchased a phone from Samsung's website, to fulfill that transaction Samsung contracted FedEx to deliver a phone to me.
FedEx lost Samsung's phone before that was accomplished therefor the transaction was never completed and Samsung still owes me a phone. Basically FedEx lost Samsung's property so Samsung should be dealing with them rather than forcing their customer (me) to.
Samsung is also the only party involved that has all of the information requested in the FedEx claim form.

May 3, 2018
Wait a moment before filing a claim with FedEx. Samsung was the shipper. Did you pay Samsung to ship this phone to you, or is FedEx billing you directly for the freight charges (for example, this shipped on your personal FedEx acct#).

This is important. Unless FedEx is billing you directly, then Samsung as the shipper should be filing the claim. Also, if Samsung didn't ship the package with insurance, then the package is only insured up to $100. Why should you only be reimbursed $100, when I'm sure the phone cost considerably more.

I hate to say it, but if you still can't get a replacement phone in the next 2 weeks, you should demand a refund. And if a refund is not given quickly, then file a dispute with your credit card as a last resort. I know you prefer to have the phone, but this can only go so long before you won't be able to file a credit card dispute.
I asked the person at FedEx today who normally submits the claim and all she said was either party can. There was a lot of information requested in the form that only the shipper would know. Samsung includes FedEx 2nd business day delivery for free with the purchase of a phone. At this point I fully expect I'll have to dispute the charges.

Aug 29, 2015
Why don’t you start with the corporate contacts listed on this site. Write the letter, and post it here for review.

State that you ordered a phone directly from Samsung on April 19. Email from Samsung states the phone was shipped via FedEx on April 20 with a tracking number of (number). You never received the phone. You contacted FedEx per the instructions from Samsung and were given case number (number). The package has been deemed lost and now FedEx need the appropriate forms filled out by Samsung, since they are the shipper and have all the info.

You request that Samsung immediately ship you a new phone and follow up with FedEx so that Samsung May be made whole. You have never received the merchandise you ordered and wish the merchandise to be reshipped to you on the next business day.

Make these a bulleted list. This way, you are sending the reimbursement back onto the shippers shoulders and simply asking for your merchandise. If they didn’t do correct insurance, that is between Samsung and FedEx.

May 3, 2018
An article on consumerist.com led me here. In that article I'd read "A rep for Samsung tells Consumerist that Officeofthepresident@sea.samsung.com is a way to escalate complaints directly to customer service." So I sent my story to that email address. A couple of days later based on the recommendations here I sent the following email to 'ted.lee@sea.samsung.com'. Both emails were sent prior to Samsung Support informing me I was responsible for submitting a claim to FedEx.

The subject line read: I'm reaching out to you because Samsung support has declined to provide me information on my lost order #xxxxx
What I wrote was:

Hello Me Lee,

I have been unsuccessful working with Samsung 1st level and E-Commerce support personnel in determining the status of my lost order.

Short story:

I ordered a Galaxy S9+ from the Samsung website on April 19th.

It was shipped to me April 20th FedEx 2nd Business Day for delivery on the 24th. Tracking #xxxxxxx

When it did not arrive I contacted FedEx and Samsung Support.

Samsung Support asked me to request FedEx verify the package had been lost.

FedEx opened trace case ID xxxxxx

Within two hours they called me, verified the shipment had been lost and suggested I contact Samsung for a replacement.

I forwarded the case number and information to Samsung Support.

In my phone conversations and live chats with Samsung Support I’ve been told that E-Commerce Support is the only group that can assist me.

Unfortunately, the only response E-Commerce Support has offered is “the issue has been forwarded to the concerned department”.

They have refused to put me in contact with the concerned department or allow me to speak with a manager.

It has been two weeks since I ordered a phone from Samsung in good faith with the understanding it would be delivered in two business days.

Will you please have someone ship the phone to me or at least explain what’s going on?

Thank You.

Sincerely,
John Lastname
xxxxxxxx

Note: Edited by moderator to remove phone number and other identifying information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2016
Definitively; Samsung is the party with the contractual relationship with Fedex. It is exclusively their responsibility to initiate a claim with Fedex. However, that is not your problem and delivery of your phone should not be delayed by the claims process. You purchased a phone, Samsung is responsible for delivering the purchase to you. Using the contact list to escalate your complaint is the right thing to do and it should not take a long time to get your phone. Samsung should be accustomed to resolving this sort of claim. You might try calling and calmly asking for a supervisor in the eCommerce department. I’d expect them to overnight a replacement and an apology for the inconvenience. Shipments get lost. They deal with this all the time. It’s not rocket science for them.

May 3, 2018
Definitively; Samsung is the party with the contractual relationship with Fedex. It is exclusively their responsibility to initiate a claim with Fedex. However, that is not your problem and delivery of your phone should not be delayed by the claims process. You purchased a phone, Samsung is responsible for delivering the purchase to you. Using the contact list to escalate your complaint is the right thing to do and it should not take a long time to get your phone. Samsung should be accustomed to resolving this sort of claim. You might try calling and calmly asking for a supervisor in the eCommerce department. I’d expect them to overnight a replacement and an apology for the inconvenience. Shipments get lost. They deal with this all the time. It’s not rocket science for them.
Thank you, my thoughts on this situation are very much inline with yours. I have tried calmly asking to speak with a supervisor or manager and each time I was calmly told that it wasn't possible.

May 3, 2018
Then use our company contacts, start with the first executive and work your way up weekly if necessary.

This is pretty cut and dried- if they choose not to help you- files credit card dispute. You have written proof the phone is lost.
Hi Neil, I emailed the first contact on the list last week and will follow with the second soon. At this point I'd settle for merchandise or credit just to done with this. Thanks, John