I hate United Airlines, but never more than today

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2015
By way of "thoughts" only I will share our current travel mentality for consideration:
  • Although we have TSA Pre-check, on any given day at any given airport, we may or may not experience the regular check-in process. It will all be over in minutes so I get over it.
  • I may lose a seat and/or have to sit apart from my spouse, but it will all be over in a matter of hours so I get over it.
  • They may or may not have my vehicle, but will almost always offer me something that works, so I get over it.
  • My room may or may not be what I wanted, but it's often just one or two nights, so I get over it.
  • Weather may delay or cancel my flight, but others are facing the same dilemma so I get over it and work calmly to secure other flights and deal with costs later.
  • My cruise may not go exactly as planned, but I make the best of what goes right and get over it.
That is not to say that certain events must be dealt with and can be stressful. But changes happen during travel perhaps more frequently than anywhere else, so I prepare as best I can for them so I can travel without stress. I too, have had my moments, but realized I was allowing those "moments" to diminish my overall experience.

One such instance comes to mind more than others which I will share. During our trip through WA-OR, we awoke one morning to a moderate rain, After breakfast at Lake Crescent, we had planned a hike to the nearby falls. Undeterred, we went and reached the falls under a pretty heavy downpour. The rest of the day was sunny and enjoyed immensely.

So now we always set out to be as "durable" as possible, so that only the most egregious events could dampen our spirits. And this has served us well ...

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi guys !
. I am angry that United could not and would not have a gate agent tell my wife take your bag, your husband is waiting for you here. I understand how complicated the airline industry is, but they are failing too many different ways in dealing with customer relations. I picked up my wife at midnight, we were home at 1:30 am and my 6 year old got his first day off from school. Everybody is happy.
I am sure you realize this is nearly impossible to do. Gate agents don’t have time to stop what they are doing to search for one passenger out of 200-300 to tell them you were waiting for her. Plus an agent who may have gotten the message may have been pulled somewhere else and not been available- there are too many other things gate agents have to do for a plane full of passengers instead of looking for one.

I glad your wife is home safe and sound and got home the same day. I am not sure why you were concerned with Newark airport itself- it is no more dangerous than any other airport- JFK or LGA - for late flights.

If you were in the city of Newark you’d have reason to worry but I’ve taken the train from the airport plenty of times- including getting off and waiting for the connecting train. I don’t find it a problem with the many people that are at the airport.

Jul 27, 2016
I am angry that United could not and would not have a gate agent tell my wife take your bag, your husband is waiting for you here.
I'm still not clear why, when you found out she was going to be on a different plane, going to IAD, you didn't tell her this yourself. It doesn't sound like she was rerouted while in the air, so couldn't you have called her while she was still waiting to board in China?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm still not clear why, when you found out she was going to be on a different plane, going to IAD, you didn't tell her this yourself. It doesn't sound like she was rerouted while in the air, so couldn't you have called her while she was still waiting to board in China?
I am also stunned that she wasn't told this on her flight.

Jul 27, 2016
I am also stunned that she wasn't told this on her flight.
I had assumed that she knew that she was being rerouted on a different aircraft, and that he found out, but it sounds like they didn't communicate directly about it. Anyway, it's over and done with, and they're all home.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
By way of "thoughts" only I will share our current travel mentality for consideration:
  • Although we have TSA Pre-check, on any given day at any given airport, we may or may not experience the regular check-in process. It will all be over in minutes so I get over it.
  • I may lose a seat and/or have to sit apart from my spouse, but it will all be over in a matter of hours so I get over it.
  • They may or may not have my vehicle, but will almost always offer me something that works, so I get over it.
  • My room may or may not be what I wanted, but it's often just one or two nights, so I get over it.
  • Weather may delay or cancel my flight, but others are facing the same dilemma so I get over it and work calmly to secure other flights and deal with costs later.
  • My cruise may not go exactly as planned, but I make the best of what goes right and get over it.
That is not to say that certain events must be dealt with and can be stressful. But changes happen during travel perhaps more frequently than anywhere else, so I prepare as best I can for them so I can travel without stress. I too, have had my moments, but realized I was allowing those "moments" to diminish my overall experience.

One such instance comes to mind more than others which I will share. During our trip through WA-OR, we awoke one morning to a moderate rain, After breakfast at Lake Crescent, we had planned a hike to the nearby falls. Undeterred, we went and reached the falls under a pretty heavy downpour. The rest of the day was sunny and enjoyed immensely.

So now we always set out to be as "durable" as possible, so that only the most egregious events could dampen our spirits. And this has served us well ...
And THIS is the way to travel, VoR! Roll with the punches (there will always be some) and go with the flow (there's always enjoyment to be found if you look for it). Frankly, I don't know how people manage when they get so upset at such minor issues. But then I think about how my husband reacts to these little glitches and it is all made clear. "Quiet, dear, I'll take care of this". Thank you for sharing such a well thought-out post.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
He had no way of contacting her and expected United to give her a message. Had he been able to contact her directly, this could have all been worked out in 5 minutes.

Jan 6, 2015
And THIS is the way to travel, VoR! Roll with the punches (there will always be some) and go with the flow (there's always enjoyment to be found if you look for it). Frankly, I don't know how people manage when they get so upset at such minor issues. But then I think about how my husband reacts to these little glitches and it is all made clear. "Quiet, dear, I'll take care of this". Thank you for sharing such a well thought-out post.
And thank you @jsn55. Rest assured, I have my moments too, and have to fight through them. But the more I/we do these, the easier it gets.

We've made so many adjustments over the years that we can overlook a lot. But still travel is stressful with all the monitoring we all have to do. One foot in front of the other ...

Jul 27, 2016
He had no way of contacting her and expected United to give her a message. Had he been able to contact her directly, this could have all been worked out in 5 minutes.
That was just my point, why couldn't he contact her? Maybe she didn't have a cellphone?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
And thank you @jsn55. Rest assured, I have my moments too, and have to fight through them. But the more I/we do these, the easier it gets.

We've made so many adjustments over the years that we can overlook a lot. But still travel is stressful with all the monitoring we all have to do. One foot in front of the other ...
That was just my point, why couldn't he contact her? Maybe she didn't have a cellphone?
Well, uh, yes, she didn't have a cellphone. Some people chose to not use cellphones. If she had a cellphone, there would have been several ways to contact her.