I bought insurance but now they tell me it was only for SC?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 7, 2015
Ryan Bradford, my niece’s husband, rented an Elantra from Enterprise on March 3, 2018. He clearly advised the agent that he wanted rental insurance because he was driving round trip to Salt Lake, Utah. He completed and signed the paperwork on a tablet. In Nebraska he ran into a deer on Hwy. 2 March 4. He called Enterprise and was assured by the agent that he was fine, he had full coverage as noted on the contract. They towed the car to Missouri then the driver took Ryan to a hotel near the rental agency. The agent in Missouri also assured Ryan he was fully covered; then transferred the rental contract to a Fiat. The trip continued with no further problems. Yesterday he received a package from the Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit stating that the car was totalled and a balance due of $12,301.32. We called the damage recovery and were told by Jennie that the insurance I purchased in SC provided coverage only in SC. Ryan told the rental agent He was driving to Utah; why was he given only SC coverage? And, the phone rep who arranged the tow assured Ryan that he was fully covered as did the agent in Missouri. Furthermore, the Missouri agent transferred the original contract. I looked at the Enterprise streams but do not see an issue that relates and hope you can further enlighten me so I can move forward with the Enterprise contacts so graciously provided by your web site.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did they email a copy of the contract and insurance to him?

We have company contacts on top of our page. HE needs to use our contacts and write to Enterprise and have them look at the contract for the car and insurance.

Tell him to read the information on the Company Contact Page on how to write and escalate this to the Executives.

You can’t do this for him- they will not communicate with anyone other than the renter.

Let us know how this turns out.

Oct 7, 2015
They did not send anything; my niece got the receipt from the Enterprise web site. I touched base on the forum primarily to learn if anyone else had heard of an Enterprise rental where they only sold insurance for the state where it was rented and to learn if they do offer nationwide coverage.

Sep 19, 2015
Ryan needs to write his own letter and put things in his own words.

There is simply not enough information. Which insurance was taken — the CDW is not insurance but a waiver. There is supplemental insurance underwritten by an insurance company.

What did the original rental contract say about if there are geographic restrictions for driving? Some contracts only allow for neighboring states and if the contract is broken the protection does not apply. How was the reservation made?

Oct 7, 2015
He told the agent when he rented the car that he was going to Salt Lake City, Utah. He said for such a long trip, he wanted all of the insurance coverage offered. There was no indication that there was a geographical limit on the rental.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ryan needs to write his own letter and put things in his own words.

There is simply not enough information. Which insurance was taken — the CDW is not insurance but a waiver. There is supplemental insurance underwritten by an insurance company.

What did the original rental contract say about if there are geographic restrictions for driving? Some contracts only allow for neighboring states and if the contract is broken the protection does not apply. How was the reservation made?
This is why we need Ryan to post- he knows the answers to questions we have about this.

I have heard of insurance that is only valid in the state the car is rented in. And some rentals aren’t permitted to be driven out of the state- some have restrictions on where the cars can be driven.

We need to see his original booking and the insurance. I have not heard of someone not being given paperwork when they pick up a car. The rental companies hand you the rental agreement in paper format with a little folder with the car plate number on it. We need to see what the terms are.

But if he told them he was traveling out of state and everyone said “you’re covered” he should contact Enterprise Executives.

Sep 19, 2015
As this is a serious amount of money Ryan needs to take control of this problem. And write his own letter. As this is a total loss this is not going away.

And if it comes down to he said- enterprise said the contract is going to be the defining issue.

Enterprise offers several types of insurance and cdw (not insurance). As one has no idea what was purchased one cannot answer.

But if the contract said only in state then the coverage is only in state

Mar 25, 2015
cali
I am an avid Enterprise renter but certain locations limit the milage by state. By this I mean literally, location A could have unlimited mileage and location B, across the street could limit you to staying within the state.

Telling someone you are traveling to Utah and getting charged for it are two different things. I have a feeling he was not charged out of state mileage but rather "full coverage" for use in the state. That would explain why everyone saw "full coverage" and told him everything was fine, and why it took nearly a month for them to charge him 12k.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Debi, it's good you're scoping this out for Ryan, but of course he needs to post so we can ask him a million questions! Rental car companies are out of control on the extra/bogus charges. We can help him get this straightened out but the devil is in the details. I hope the two of you can work together if he is reluctant to post on his own. We have a very successful formula for dealing with this kind of thing.

Most important thing right now is: he told the agent he was driving to Salt Lake ... what did the contract say? This information is huge.