Hyundai Tucson Underbody Corrosion Recall

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 6, 2021
On October 17, 2020, I took our 2011 Hyundai Tucson into Koon's Hyundai dealership in Woodbridge, VA. I had to leave the vehicle over the weekend, but was called shortly after and told that the vehicle's underbody was completely corroded, but that Hyundai would be covering it under warranty. The part they would be replacing was the subframe. In mid December 2020, the part finally came in from Korea and I was given a call from the dealership telling me that the bolts were corroded onto the subframe so they would have to cut off both control arms which did not require replacement. This would cost around $1500. After hearing this I pushed back and said that I was not going to pay this. I went through numerous difficult phone calls with Hyundai Corporate Customer, I was told that Hyundai would not cover the parts they would have to damage due to replacement of the corroded subframe. While this made no sense to me and showed me that I never want to do business with Hyundai again, I could not stop there. I did some research and found with the paperwork to the vehicle that we purchased in March 2018 (the recall was issued in May 2017) paperwork that said the vehicle had 0 recalls. I then went after the dealership, who put me in contact with their Hyundai dealer who had gotten this same issue repaired under warranty by Hyundai a good number of times and he was very confident it would be covered under "consequential damage" due to repair of the recall. I got the call from the Hyundai dealership's Service Manager on Friday saying that he was stunned that Hyundai would not agree to cover. He said that in his 20 years with the company, they always did right by their customers and did not understand why this would change all of a sudden. In total, my wife and I, both public school teachers have been without a second vehicle for over 5 months now.. I am picking my wife up each day from work and she has been Ubering in for 3 weeks now, as we had hoped we would get a resolution. Will fight this to the end.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts for executives at Hyundai.

This is how to escalate it- one person at a time. Read this carefully and follow the path.

This works in a majority of cases.

Apr 6, 2021
Unfortunately, I have contacted both Omar Rivera and Barry Ratzlaff back in February only to be contacted back by someone from the Corporate Executive Relations team who was adamant that Hyundai will not cover this. I took it to Twitter and got a response from Hyundai that told me to contact their Customer Care team for them to look into the situation. I've spoken to them on numerous occasions. What perplexes me the most is that, according to a Service Manager who has been with the company for over 20 years, Hyundai has been covering this exact repair as "consequential damage," yet they choose now to stop doing so.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, I have contacted both Omar Rivera and Barry Ratzlaff back in February only to be contacted back by someone from the Corporate Executive Relations team who was adamant that Hyundai will not cover this. I took it to Twitter and got a response from Hyundai that told me to contact their Customer Care team for them to look into the situation. I've spoken to them on numerous occasions. What perplexes me the most is that, according to a Service Manager who has been with the company for over 20 years, Hyundai has been covering this exact repair as "consequential damage," yet they choose now to stop doing so.
This may be what he sees but apparently it isn't according to the Corporate offices.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
That’s pretty clear isn’t it?
Are you really sure you want to continue to pursue this? Regardless of who pays for the "repairs", the car, once repaired, will essentially have no resale potential. The vehicle is a 2011 model with ?? miles on it. You need to look up the potential resale value (if anyone will buy it) without the damages and repair, and then look at the value with the damage and repair. KBB on this vehicle in "Fair" condition is in the $4-6K range. KBB will not give a value for cars in poor condition.

It is probably not worth you spending $1500 to fix anything on the car. After spending $1500 you will still have a 10+ years old vehicle that has had major corrosion and repairs.

You should see if Hyundai will give you a large credit towards the purchase of another car.