Hyatt Ziva Turquoize in Cancun- not an adult All inclusive

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 7, 2018
I booked a Christmas holiday for my girlfriend and myself at the Hyatt Ziva Turquoize in Cancun from Dec 25th, 2017 to January 1st, 2018 through Expidia.ca. This was supposed to be an ALL INCLUSIVE ADULT ONLY RESORT, turned out to be a family resort with a segregated tower for adults only. the literature on both the Hotel website as well as the voucher I received from Expidia.ca indicated that this was Adult only. The reviews on Trip Advisor and other ranted and rave and most were misleading at best.

When we got to the Hotel, we discovered the issue, I called Expidia.ca. They refused to talk to me because I had not made the reservation and had gone through my travel agent. Though the site was nice, the fact was that I wanted time off in an adult resort and this is not the case. We had to fight to get a place at the restaurant, they did not take reservations when you arrived they would turn you towards the buffet. The rooms came with a concierge (or butler) our was useless. We would ask for extra towels and had to go hunting for them. The room was supposed to have top-line acolhol. this was never filled and when I ran into the person that filled the snack and alcohol, he told me he had no keys and could not provide any.

The food was ok, not great but for a family this was fine. We paid close to $1000.00 per night. I do expect better.

I tried complaining and sending letter, Expidia.ca & the Hyatt has ignored me. I tried through American express and again Expidia played the card that I did not book the hotel myself and the person has accepted the terms and conditions.

can someone help???

Jan 30, 2018
The website states "Hyatt Ziva Cancun's Turquoize is like a resort within a resort. It is the new adult-only, all beachfront tower ..." I think it is pretty clear that it is only PART of something else.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’m confused - you say you booked the hotel through Expedia but then you say “They refused to talk to me because I had not made the reservation and had gone through my travel agent.” Did you book through Expedia or a travel agent?

In this particular resort, the Turquoize Tower has rooms only for adults. But you are still in a family property. Ziva is the family resort , Zilara is the adults only. In some locations, both resorts share the same property.

The way we remember which is which - The number of letters in the words Ziva and kids is four, the number of letters in Zilara and adults is six.

https://allinclusive.hyatt.com/en/allinclusive/about-ziva.html

https://allinclusive.hyatt.com/en/allinclusive/about-ziva.html

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The hotel website actual does say it’s only a tower:

Located in one of the most breathtaking destinations in the world, with spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea, Hyatt Ziva Cancun is a lavish all-inclusive, all-ages oasis on the Mexico’s Yucatan coast. Our spectacular Cancun resort features beautiful suites, three infinity pools, including an adults-only pool accessible to guests staying at our new adults-only, beachfront tower, Turquoize, and two pristine white sand beaches. Kids have the vacation of a lifetime with our KidZ Club with a water play area.

Sep 19, 2015
If you booked through a travel agent the travel agent should have mentioned that it is a family resort.

I do not quite understand as the OP mentions booking the flight on Expedia and another mention of a travel agency.

One look at the website of the resort would show that it is not adult only as they mention a “kidz club”

What are the service complaints?

Last edited:
May 7, 2018
Hi,

Are you guys here to help or to criticize me?

I am not an Idiot Neil- I can spell and add and can afford expensive vacations..

I have been complaining since January...they just changed the info on their site.

I have the pictures of the original site

The hotel stay was booked on Expedia through my corporate travel agent as a courtesy to me. They do not book leisure travel.

When I called Expedia.ca and they refuse to talk to me even though the booking was in my name but the e-mail was not mine and my travel agent was off on the 25th.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@jb1308 If you booked through a travel agent on their recommendation, it sounds like they made the mistake and you need to talk to them. Regardless, it sounds like whomever found the resort didn't do their homework so that's where you start as far as the family / adult portion.

You can reach out to the hotel regarding the service failure to see if they'll offer you anything. Remember to keep that separate from the resort choice. Its not the resort's fault someone didn't do their homework and adding that into your service complaint is liable to get the whole thing tossed.

Good Luck

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi,

Are you guys here to help or to criticize me?

I am not an Idiot Neil- I can spell and add and can afford expensive vacations..

I have been complaining since January...they just changed the info on their site.

I have the pictures of the original site

The hotel stay was booked on Expedia through my corporate travel agent as a courtesy to me. They do not book leisure travel.

When I called Expedia.ca and they refuse to talk to me even though the booking was in my name but the e-mail was not mine and my travel agent was off on the 25th.
We are here to help you and tell you where or why you may have a problem. We can’t help you without telling you why you might have a fight on your hands and how to approach the company.

Your travel agent should be fighting this battle for you. As a travel agent myself- I knew this about the hotel. The travel agent which booked it for you should have as well.

Your agent probably used the Expedia travel agent website to book your hotel which is why the won’t deal with you directly.

Your agent needs to go to bat for you on this one but we have contacts for Hyatt themselves on our company contacts. If they just changed their website- you need to push that point.

Sep 19, 2015
Asking for clarification is not criticism. That Hyatt Ziva resort has been a family resort since it opened in 2016. I checked the wayback machine and it has consistently been advertised as such

What I do think is a tad confusing is how Expedia markets the tower:

Turquoize at Hyatt Ziva Cancun - Adults Only - All Inclusive

Is what comes up today on expedia.ca

But further down on resort policies it mentions

Children and extra beds
  • Children are welcome.
Family Friendly Amenities
  • Family Hotel

So I find the expedia info lacks clarity.

Who have you written to, the general customer service emails for Hyatt?

Why was Amex involved? Will the corporate travel agent help at all with expedia?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It's disappointing that you feel our questions and clarifications are hostile and demeaning to you. Solving travel problems is something that requires great detail. We would not have the success we enjoy without fine-tuning each and every case we see. You've been complaining since January without result.

It seems as though you booked the place without doing your research, I'm sorry this happened to you. Expedia is not a reliable source of hotel information. You'll be best served dealing with the agent who made the booking.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Some of the issue here is that corporate travel is a whole different business than leisure travel and corporate travel agents do not keep up with changes at leisure resorts. They know the corporate world which is very different.