1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyatt Rewards

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by Redeemed52, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Redeemed52

Found out yesterday, 23 March 2017, that Hyatt had closed my Gold Rewards account this past January due to 24 months of inactivity. Unlike another person who complained on this board last year about his Hyatt account being closed (after Hyatt having notified him several times that they were going to do so), I received no such notice. My Hyatt statements, received every 2 months through Dec 2106, made no mention that my account would be closed in Jan. The last statement in December 2016 had a reminder that my account would transition over to Hyatt's new rewards program come March 2017.

I lost over 89,000 points. I had amassed a lifetime total of more that 350,000 and had used the points freely over the past 7 years after I retired and no longer traveled on business. I have had several years of nonactivity in between stays over these past 7 years, and have not had a stay since 2013. Not once did Hyatt contact me regarding nonactivity during these past years...no no notice or warning of pending closure of my account and loss of points. Calls to Hyatt have yielded no satisfactory reaolution ... opening a new account and giving me 3,000 points doesn't come near in compensating for losing 89K in points. Those points represent tens of thousands of dollars spent staying at Hyatt Hotels ... a reward for my loyalty in staying with them. To have them taken without ANY notice is outright untenable. I want my points restored.

2. honestpointofview

Evening Redeemed.

Ok starting with the bad news. Under Hyatt's terms they state the points are forfeited after 24 months of no activity and that "Under no circumstances will forfeited points be reinstated."

So i think your better bet is not to ask for the points to be restored but to ask them to increase the offer of points for your new account as a gesture of goodwill. It might sound like you asking for the same thing but given their T&C's are so clear you need to try and find a way to let them give you what you want.

There are contacts at the top of the page for Hyatt. I would suggest you write to the first contact, in a polite way, setting out what is the minimum that would satisfy you. I think you might have to accept you will not get all of the points back and you are better off asking for a lower figure that they are more likely to agree too. If you want to mention the lack of notice point I would simply say something along the lines of. " I appreciate that the T&C's make it clear that the points are forfeited after 24 months but i did not realize this and did not see anything in my statement to make me aware of this...."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Neil and Patina like this.
  3. Grandma

I agrree with honest, ask for more restarting bonus.

If you have not stayed with Hyatt in the last 4 years, then probably you have not checked the web page either.
    The 24-months rules has been in effect since 2014. In your 2013 November-December account statement there was a similar reminder of changes (with a link to the changes) as you got now (again with a link to the changes).
    On hyatt.com both the 2014 and the 2017 changes were posted 6 months before taking effect.

Neil, Patina and honestpointofview like this.
  4. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Redeemed, I think the timing here is perfect, as they're rolling into a new deal. Here's why: People are always whining and saying 'they didn't know'. This is very irritating to the person reading the complaint. You should humbly acknowledge that you made the mistake and are ever so sorry. The only finger you should point is that your last statement told you the new plan was coming in March ... but quickly acknowledge that you should have double-checked that. We usually call this 'artful begging' and it often works. I have always maintained that people who get into the hospitality business do so because they like people and want to help them. Sometimes this is difficult to discern, but I think it's there deep down. You have a long track record with Hyatt, I would ask for all your points ... why not? The sweeter and more humble you are, the better chance you have. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

5. honestpointofview

Redeemed52 and jsn55 like this.
  6. Redeemed52

Thanks. You are correct that I had not visited the Hyatt Website for a few years. I was unaware of the T&C changes. As I said, none of my 2016 statements had any mention of my account being in jeopardy of being closed and points lost. My computer HD died the end of 2015, so I don't have any 2014 statements to review, but I know I would not have ignored any comments regarding any new requirements for activity. All statements have a link for T&C, but I wouldn't be looking at them unless there was a notice in the statement that there were MAJOR changes that would result in my losing nearly $10K in free nights
    ts

7. Grandma

Oh no. They never use the word major changes, or give any hint on the statement what are the changes. Just a note, the program is changing from this or that date. (Similar the one you got now.)

My recommendation, check your other loyalty program memberships. All major hotel chains, airlines now have similar or even more restrictive rules. (Not only the lenght of the inactivity, but what they consider activity.) None of them sends note if your points are expiring. (Though some of them show the expiration date next to your points on your on-line account.)

I was lucky to catch - accidentaly - almost expired Radisson points as well got a last minute Air France award ticket. So I learned a lot from those experiences.

Since it every year in January and June I check all of my membership accounts. For hidden points, program changes etc. It takes 15-20 minutes (combined for all of the programs), but can save plenty of points.
    Just put it in your calendar:)

jsn55, George M, AMA and 3 others like this.
  8. Redeemed52

Trust me, I feel foolish for not having tended to my account any better than I did. No doubt that Hyatt kept this change low key, without any specific notice that their programs changes would impact accrued rewards. I received those points for the tens of thousands of dollars I spent staying with them. For them to take these earned points, and do so by pointing to T&C changes they made back in 2014 and saying they informed me via a link to their T&C, basically tells me they were betting on there being many like me who were unaware of the change. I'd like to know the total number of points forfeited program wide. Oh, well...thanks for the advice.

9. Just A Guy

Simple truth of the matter is that, if you haven't stayed with them for years, and don't sound like you're likely to going forward, they have little incentive to bend the rules for you.

Mike Z likes this.
  10. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Redemed, as Just a Guy said above, they really have no reason to bend the rules for you. You admit to not having spent any actual money with them for 4 years but now you want them to give you back perks that amount to many hundreds of dollars. I hate those update emails as most that I get go into the trash bin either in email or in the kitchen. However I have no accrued large amounts of points for anything. if I had a massive amount of points I would make sure that I wasn't losing them, and probably more importantly I would have used them up as soon as I could. As a teacher in a business class used to say, a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow. I've found that there are always so many changes that what you thought were once a lot of points become less and less valuable. (at one time I had enough points to stay in a nice Vegas suite for a couple days but now that same number of points gets me a buffet. Shame on me for never having spent them)

Neil likes this.