Hurricane Irma issues

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 11, 2017
We have booked a room in St.Martin for the week of Feb 17-Feb 24, 2018. Our issue is that we don"t feel the island can be ready for guests by this time. we have booked a flight thru FlightHub on Spirit Airlines for this week. When we contacted FlightHub they told us that it is too early to tell if the airport will be open by then. Our payment for this flight is due on our current credit card statement which is due on Sept 19, 2017. Our question for you is should we pay for the flight or challenge the charges on our credit card

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Can you cancel your flight with no penalty? If you can, them cancel. Otherwise they are right- it's way too early to know what is going to be going on in Feb.

You will most likely lose a dispute if you do one because of the fact that things could be different by them.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is not a reason to file a credit card dispute. You file a dispute when you've exhausted all possibilities of solving a problem and the 'merchant' won't budge. And you have to be absolutely sure that you are right. You booked non-ref tix on a budget carrier through an internet order taker. Very little customer service at either entity. They have no incentive to refund your money.

I think it's very possible that your flights will be changed radically, allowing you to cancel with a full refund. Usually it's a change of 90 minutes or more. I wish there was a magic wand to wave so you could get your money back. The internet agent may charge you a fee but it should be nominal. Probably a good idea to read the Terms and Conditions of the airline and the booking agent.

Feb 9, 2016
Sorry to say, even if your hotel was demolished, if the airport is up and running, you have no cause to reject the flight you initially booked. The airlines and hotel are separate entities.

Provided your hotel is standing, by February I feel that the island will be back up and running for tourists. You wont have the lush vegetation, but you will have clean beaches and tourist activities. If your hotel is damaged and doesn't know if they will be operational by the time you arrive, I suggest making new hotel reservations asap, before everyone else books.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
If St. Martin is not up and running by your date of travel, please consider one of the neighboring islands that will be open for business. They rely so heavily on tourism so one of the best ways to help them get back on their feet is to visit and spend your money there!

Apr 10, 2017
Will you be staying on the Dutch side or the French side? I ask because there does seem to be a difference in the attention to rebuilding. I was there nearly 4 years ago and was really surprised by the difference between the 2 sides of the island. While the Dutch side appeared modern the French side still had dilapidated and half-built structures left over from storms nearly 20 years earlier. I'm sure the island will be fine by the time you go on your trip, although I do wonder what will happen with those fabulous restaurants in Grand Case.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The Dutch side also was less damaged than the French.

We are supposed to go to Puerto Rico on the 19th. Our hotel is open. As long as things are still the same after Jose does what it does we are going because we know they need the tourists there.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The Dutch side also was less damaged than the French.

We are supposed to go to Puerto Rico on the 19th. Our hotel is open. As long as things are still the same after Jose does what it does we are going because we know they need the tourists there.

Sep 12, 2017
By February the SXM airport will be somewhat recovered and running but the island will not be ready to receive tourists. It was reported that 90 % of the building in St. Martin / St. Maarten were damaged by Irma. The airlines should show some consideration for this fact and at least waive their change fee.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If it were any other airline than Spirit, I agree that you can count on some relaxation of the rules. I'd start a letter-writing campaign in November after things have settled down a bit. Perhaps another island, or changing the flight to a much later date might work.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
By February the SXM airport will be somewhat recovered and running but the island will not be ready to receive tourists. It was reported that 90 % of the building in St. Martin / St. Maarten were damaged by Irma. The airlines should show some consideration for this fact and at least waive their change fee.
Is Spirit or FlightHub the one telling you no?