Human Waste Sprayed on Guest

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 16, 2015
Hello. Last night a companion and I went to dinner at a very nice (and rather expensive), local hotel/resort in Hershey, PA. We go there, or to their larger hotel also in town at least once a week. We live in a tourist town and enjoy the resort hotel dining experience we have in our backyard. We are not overnight guests, just stopped in for dinner and to do some people watching. The hotel was booked as the GOP is in town and Tony Blair and Jay Leno were there as guest speaker and entertainment.
After dinner, my companion went to the restroom. There, the men's toilet had overflowed, was spraying and was full of brown water and....it was unpleasant. He was sprayed with human waste on his shoes and pants while he was there. The attendant made the comment "how did that happen" - at the same time a custodial engineer entered and my companion left --- disgusted and without using the facilities.
We reported this to the desk. She in turn alerted the executive housekeeping person on duty. The executive housekeeper said it was only water. (It wasn't.) She said something is wrong with the pipes and that's why the water is brown (there was more to it than that). FINALLY she offered to have his pants dry cleaned and his new shoes replaced if he provides receipts. He was wet - she saw the wetness on his shoes and the bottom of his pants. There was an odor to his pants. His socks were wet as well. She made it seem as if she was doing my companion a favor in offering anything.
This is very disgusting. We are more than disappointed in the non-caring of this entity. I want to call and tell them they should do more for him than dry cleaning and if he can find the receipt, purchase new shoes; however, I thought I would check here first. What is an appropriate compensation for my companion? (He does not think this is good customer service. I agree.) This is a top-notch location.
Thank you for your consideration.

Christopher Elliott

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Aug 22, 2007
Orlando
www.chriselliotts.com
Eeeeew! I'm really sorry that happened to you.

My first thought is that a sincere apology and covering your companion's dry cleaning bill is sufficient. But I wasn't there, so maybe I'm missing a key detail.

Are you suggesting the hotel should comp his room? And if so, have you asked for the hotel to do so?

What an unpleasant experience! That is shocking to hear the hotel staff wasn't falling all over themselves to try to rectify the situation.

Perhaps you should advise us of the name of the establishment so we can be a bit warier next time we are in Hershey, PA.

At a minimum I would expect that they would pay for your dry cleaning, and perhaps a comp'd dinner to show their willingness to make such an unfortunate experience dissipate in your memory, and replace it with an enjoyable one.

I do believe they did the right thing in offering to pay for your companion's shoes, as that is not easily cleaned or remedied.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Jan 16, 2015
Thank you for your quick response, Mr. Elliott. It is appreciated.
There was no apology - much less a "sincere" explanation or listening to him; there was a means to shuffle it off -- meanwhile, while we were talking in the lobby, three custodial engineers went upstairs to handle the restroom issue.
We were not overnight hotel guests.
We shared his experience with the executive housekeeper on duty. She attempted to downplay what occurred (which I am sure she is suppose to do, but it isn't helpful as my companion felt "unheard."). It wasn't until he kept repeating, "no, it isn't just regular water with dirt from the pipes." that she offered that he bring his pants back to her and they will dry clean his pants. Then he mentioned he will have to throw his new shoes away. She then said if he brings in a receipt for the shoes, along with the shoes, they will pay for new shoes.
He then drove home with wet human waste on his shoes, clothing and skin. He was not pleased as you can well imagine. It was disgusting.
As I mentioned, this is a large entertainment and resort company, that we frequent at least once a week if not more often during some weeks. We are locals who spend a lot of money relaxing at the spas, dining in the restaurants, entertaining guests in the lounges, theatre, and entertainment and sports arena - all owned by the entity.
It just doesn't seem right to me that having human waste, wet or dry, spewed onto you is compensated only through dry cleaning and shoe replacement. It's human waste. No one expects to have that occur during a nice evening.

Oct 10, 2014
That's disgusting, but if the hotel will pay the bills for dry cleaning and a new pair of shoes, then that sounds like an adequate compensation.

We had a disgusting experience in a top-notch hotel, too: ticks (the ones you would find on your dogs) in beds. The hotel gave us a new room, which seemed adequate to me at that time, but in a retrospect, the hotel could have done better. I just didn't know how to bring up more compensation.

Jan 8, 2015
Wow, that is nasty. I would say that bringing the incident to the attention of a manager would probably help more. Like a day time manager, not the night manager, as the one working the day time is usually higher up.

I know a fair bit about plumbing because of my job and am still trying to figure out how water was "spraying" and still somehow mixing with or just plain spraying waste water. It defies logic to be honest.

Jan 6, 2015
Eeeeew! I'm really sorry that happened to you.

My first thought is that a sincere apology and covering your companion's dry cleaning bill is sufficient. But I wasn't there, so maybe I'm missing a key detail.

Are you suggesting the hotel should comp his room? And if so, have you asked for the hotel to do so?
FYI, she stated that they were not staying a the hotel - just dining.

Jan 6, 2015
Assuming this is not a chain, I would appeal to the owner of the property. While trivial matters would not rise to that level, your description indicates a serious problem with the staff response.

Whenever you pursue an issue you are facing, remember to be both polite and succinct. Present the highlights, stay on point, and if you know what you want from them be specific (and reasonable). And avoid using strong emotional phrases in your statements.

Best wishes for success ...

Jan 16, 2015
Well, Mike, the GOP is in town...... ;0)
As I understand from my companion's description, the top part of the toilet was backed up -- he could see the brown water and the unpleasantness or as the Lodge is calling it, "sludge." When the attendant flushed it in attempt to perhaps correct the situation, it sprayed and spewed from another part. Apparently there was "water" on the floor as well. After the flush, my companion said it went over his shoes like a fast moving stream. The Lodge is in agreement with the report of what happened (both the spraying and the clogged part); however the female housekeeping manager was firm that it was not human waste water and human waste. She had not seen it at that point and had not been up there.
The Lodge had not yet closed the restroom even though there was a problem -- this should have been their very first action after the attendant saw the water on the ground.
It was just a really unpleasant experience at a very nice facility. He feels if we were part of the GOP, perhaps they would have "heard" him and been more attentive rather than dismissive.

Jan 16, 2015
VoR61, it is not a chain. It is not what one would call "private" either.
It is the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center which reports to The Hershey Trust, which manages the money of Milton Hershey (the man and the School). Profits from The Hershey Company, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts (The Lodge and The Hotel Hershey, Hersheypark, The Giant Center shows and concerts, Hershey Bears) all go to the Trust to support Milton Hershey School.

Jan 6, 2015
VoR61, it is not a chain. It is not what one would call "private" either.
It is the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center which reports to The Hershey Trust, which manages the money of Milton Hershey (the man and the School). Profits from The Hershey Company, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts (The Lodge and The Hotel Hershey, Hersheypark, The Giant Center shows and concerts, Hershey Bears) all go to the Trust to support Milton Hershey School.
Understood. Apparently they have VIP manager. I would appeal to him/her. Given the frequency with which you patronize their establishment, I would consider you one ...

Jan 16, 2015
I spoke with the Lodge on Friday. The housekeeping executive said replacing his shoes and dry cleaning his pants was more than enough to satisify this problem.
I very politely stopped her and said it's the very least you are doing not more than enough. I said it is absolutely appropriate and the very least to replace his shoes and dry clean his pants. I took advice from the forum and requested she replace his dinner to replace his experience....as having human waste is the very least we expected to have happen in Hershey.
She called back saying they are giving him a gift card for the dinner and tip in addition to drying cleaning and replacing shoes.
I'm certain had I pressed for something else or spoken to a VP, it would have been honored.
I didn't want "more" than what was appropriate. He wanted acknowledged and not swept away. I am minimally satisfied with the resolution. I wish they wouldn't have made it seem like we were doing a shakedown on one of the wealthiest entity blocks in the country.
With that said, I'm going to The Hotel Hershey today for a relaxing spa day. (The clothing that was dropped off at the lodge will be delivered to us at the spa today.)
Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

The idea of having to get in my car and drive X number of miles while wearing clothes soaked in human waste is beyond disgusting. I don't think I could ever wear those pants again, no matter how many times they were dry cleaned.

From your description, can I assume some of the human waste ended up on the car floor and seats?

In my opinion, the hotel, at the very least, should have replaced the shoes AND the pants and had the car completely clean, inside and out. Then a very nice gift card to make up for your troubles.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What an unpleasant experience! That is shocking to hear the hotel staff wasn't falling all over themselves to try to rectify the situation.

Perhaps you should advise us of the name of the establishment so we can be a bit warier next time we are in Hershey, PA.

At a minimum I would expect that they would pay for your dry cleaning, and perhaps a comp'd dinner to show their willingness to make such an unfortunate experience dissipate in your memory, and replace it with an enjoyable one.

I do believe they did the right thing in offering to pay for your companion's shoes, as that is not easily cleaned or remedied.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
I totally agree with this as compensation. Glad it worked out and it is a shame that they didn't offer a dinner on their own. What happens to common sense these days? Don't these places empower their employees to take an extra step?